Aurion TRD Full custom exhaust system

Hi Everyone!

My centre catalytic converter had somehow sh*t itself and the aurion is now coming up with a warning light due to a bad reading, this was confirmed by a Toyota dealer and the cat needed replacing.

Instead, Im considering a full custom exhaust system from the extractors including high flow cat converter and two Magnaflow mufflers.

Was wondering if anyone has done this before or something similar to their TRD? If a full system will mess with the catalytic sensors and the warning light still remains.

I've been quoted about $3.3k for a full stainless custom system and dont know if it would be recommended technically, other then looks and sounds.

Was wondering if there would be a significant performance gain or potential lost...

Your advice will be much appreciated.

Mark

Edited by MDPTRD

Yes, there custom made and stainless. I don't think there is a bolt on / aftermarket available for aurions / TRDs.

Actually there is, but it still requires some custom pipework afterwards:

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=318&products_id=1192

Personally, I beleive the gains to be made will be with the re-making of the y-pipe where the exhaust manifold from each cylinder bank merges.

Yes, there custom made and stainless. I don't think there is a bolt on / aftermarket available for aurions / TRDs.

Actually there is, but it still requires some custom pipework afterwards:

http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/product_info.php?cPath=318&products_id=1192

Personally, I beleive the gains to be made will be with the re-making of the y-pipe where the exhaust manifold from each cylinder bank merges.

Is the TRD Aurion y-pipe the same as the one on the regular Aurion? If so, you're probably right as the y-pipe is terrible.

Thanks Djkor,

So these extractors are a definite bolt on for the TRD? If that's the case then it would save me a fortune and the remaining custom piping shouldn't be too much.

Edited by MDPTRD

Thanks Andrew,

So these extractors are a definite bolt on for the TRD? If that's the case then it would save me a fortune and the remaining custom piping shouldn't be too much.

Don't thank me, DJKOR posted the link and according to what he is saying; you will need to do a little work afterwards. I can just say, if the 2gr is anything like the 1mz it will react well to the y-pipe modification. The 1mz has a crappy y-pipe that rivals the 2gr.

I can't tell you what kind of gains you'll get from these collectors however.

Thats a hell expensive exhaust...are the extractors custom made too?

Not that expensive Trent. My CES setup in mild steel was $3000 and that does not include a hi-flow cat!

They are a definite bolt on for a standard Aurion when used in conjunction with a cutom exhaust from that point onwards. In case you haven't looked, the TRD is no different.

On the topic of cats, I wouldn't waste your money on a "high flow" cat for the Aurion/TRD... but hey, it's your money.

Hope your ECU is nothing like the zre because all that extra flow may cause you to run lean with your A/F ratio and throw a CEL.

LOL. Lean...

Dyno_2.jpg

I think she has a bit of play before it will sense somthing wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

saw the bolt-ons at monkey wrench they look great, but i noticed they eliminate the pre-cats, what happens to the sensors? as these read the gas mix after the pre-cats. also another thought, if you have to modify everything after the headers, why not 2 main cats and twin all the way, i have seen some very small stainless high flow cats which would fit side by side. the headers would make it easier to make the rear bank pipe longer for "equal length" system.

• 4 months later...

Hi Everyone.

Sorry to revive an old thread...

Im hoping some experts out there may be able to clarify something for me. I own an Aurion TRD and the engine light came on, had the code read and it confirmed it was the cat converter. I wasn't able to confirm whether it was the bottom or top cat. I took a guess and assumed it was the bottom cat and went out and fitted a high flow cat, 2.75 piping, and 2 magnaflow exhausts. (love the sound) Unfortunately, this did not make the error light go away so again, I went back to toyota and was advised I would need my top cat replaced along with the manifold. Toyota quoted 1.5k which is a really big bite out of my pocket and im trying to cut cost to have this problem fixed.

Can someone please confirm if the other aurion vs the TRD aurion have exactly the same manifold and top cat? I would prefer to find a 2nd hand alternative and cut cost. It would be great news if they are the same since TRDs are hard to come by as it is and to find a genuine 2nd TRD part will be near impossible.

Thanks very much in advance!

Regards,

Mark

I wasn't able to confirm whether it was the bottom or top cat. I took a guess and assumed it was the bottom cat

I'm not surprised the lamp was still on, as there are no sensors after the bottom cat:

3460d527.jpg

The sensors are measuring the performance of the manifold cats, which is where your problem will be 99.7% of the time.

Do you know which code was found? The code will tell you which bank has the problem, so the repair cost could be halved if you know (compared with trial and error methods). The quoted price sounds like only 1 manifold, so try and find out which one ...

Hi Steven,

Thanks for your clarification, im relieved to hear that!

Hi 450,

Appreciate your response. This is what toyota advised on the job sheet "error code P0430 catylst system efficiency below threshold, carried out live data check of O2 sensors, found operating within specified range, recommend replacement of cat converter"

Cheers

Mark

This is what toyota advised on the job sheet "error code P0430 catylst system efficiency below threshold, carried out live data check of O2 sensors, found operating within specified range, recommend replacement of cat converter"

The problem is with bank 2 (front).

Could be one of the problems below, but maybe the dealer has eliminated the sensors and gas leak:

18a96fdf.jpg

See if you can get a front cat ...

LOL. How convenient.

LOL thats what I thought I just finished reading the forum and decided to check Ebay to see what new listings there were for Aurion and they were there :clap: