New Sportivo

Considering I use the APEX'i, I absolutely love the thing. :toast:

Everyones' gonna backup their own system saying that it's better, it'll be hard for you to conclude your research purely based on our feedbacks.

PS. </3 DUY YOU DIRTY HAG!

just get an induction pipe to feed some cold air to the SRI it will solve the hot air problem.

Hurrah! Did you guys get it installed or DIY? If DIY, any tips?

Mark did you do the cold air intake piping? Any tips? :yahoo:

PS. </3 DUY YOU DIRTY HAG!

Was ist das? Did you mean DIY or were you calling Duy a dirty hag? ; )

Edited by Azazel

Yesterday I was next to a Ford Focus XR5 at the lights, gave it some around the corner (2 lanes turning) just to see what they'd do, they gave it some. Ended up stopping at the next red light. A couple of trucks turned left into my lane, but there was still room to do some testing before getting to the speed limit. It was pretty close in 1st gear, actually pulled in front a little at redline, sloppy change into 2nd, still pretty close before I backed off as the back of the trucks got closer.

166kw in them apparently, not sure if it had any mods. Happy with the little standard Sportivo.

• Like 1

Mate this forum does not condone any form of street racing. If you want to tell stories of street racing then please use boostcruising. The long arm of the law do frequent car forums as well looking for such info just in case you need me to give you a reason.

cheers....

Thanks, got the lecture yesterday.

As I said to clarify, it's not illegal in QLD to accelerate up to the speed limit without losing traction with the tyres and the road.

I was well under the speed limit (2nd gear in an 80km/h zone). It was a test in the new (secondhand) car I bought less than 2 weeks ago, just to illustrate that I'm happy with the little standard 4 cylinder Corolla. And clearly it's not a hotted up 450kw V8 Commodore.

If there was a police car behind me, they wouldn't have blinked twice. In fact they probably would have overtaken me.

Let he who has never accelerated briskly from a set of lights in a new car with a little smile on their face be the first to cast a stone.

• Like 1

Yesterday I was next to a Ford Focus XR5 at the lights, gave it some around the corner (2 lanes turning) just to see what they'd do, they gave it some. Ended up stopping at the next red light. A couple of trucks turned left into my lane, but there was still room to do some testing before getting to the speed limit. It was pretty close in 1st gear, actually pulled in front a little at redline, sloppy change into 2nd, still pretty close before I backed off as the back of the trucks got closer.

166kw in them apparently, not sure if it had any mods. Happy with the little standard Sportivo.

Ah, that's still street racing by definition, over the speed limit or not...

Back on topic, surely some well placed piping and a good enclosure limits heat issues with the CAI?

Back on topic, surely some well placed piping and a good enclosure limits heat issues with the CAI?

Indeed sir. I'm thinking of measuring up a template for a heatshroud that has some rubber foam on the top edges to 'seal' with the bonnet. Unless anyone else has done it and would be nice enough to share their template?

SRI's just suck in hot engine bay air. I say just do it right the first time and get the Injen.

Disagree! :whistling:

Expecting to find a dicussion on a forum, what was I thinking...

What is the point of discussing when you won't listen to any of other members who have tried and tested SRI's? That is like talking to a brick wall but worse.

The engine is smack bang in the middle of the engine bay. The pod will end up all the way over to the right - where the stock airbox draws it's air from (cooler air obviously when you're doing what the car was designed for: driving).

The sun is in the sky why is it hot on the ground?

If you take the stock panel air filter out you will see there is a snorkel that leads away from where the filter is. I'd suggest you try and follow it and understand why it isn't sucking hot air.

• Like 1

What is the point of discussing when you won't listen to any of other members who have tried and tested SRI's? That is like talking to a brick wall but worse.

You may need to go and re-read that, this guy said:

Numerous people have suggested SRI isnt that beneficial but you are still adamant on finding someone who agrees with you and your opinion.

I was pointing out that other people have the SRI's and have had good experience with them.

The sun is in the sky why is it hot on the ground?

You seem like you're itching for an argument, unfortunately you won't win because you'll have to argue with yourself.

The problem is you are misunderstanding the printed word.

If you take the stock panel air filter out you will see there is a snorkel that leads away from where the filter is. I'd suggest you try and follow it and understand why it isn't sucking hot air.

This I know. You can have an argument with the people who think SRI's just suck hot air. The reason the stock air filter doesn't just suck hot air is the same reason an SRI doesn't.

The funny thing is you're agreeing with me, but you don't even realise it.

• Like 1

I find it funny that you think he is agreeing with you when he clearly isn't. An SRI will always pull in warmer air than what a CAI can unless the SRI is completely boxed off and has a dedicated cool air feed.

Really? It seems you have misunderstood what has been said.

• Like 1

I find it funny that you think he is agreeing with you when he clearly isn't. An SRI will always pull in warmer air than what a CAI can unless the SRI is completely boxed off and has a dedicated cool air feed.

I can't remember anyone saying otherwise?

Really? It seems you have misunderstood what has been said.

Do tell.

Edited by Azazel
  • Like 1

You may need to go and re-read that, this guy said:

Numerous people have suggested SRI isnt that beneficial but you are still adamant on finding someone who agrees with you and your opinion.

I was pointing out that other people have the SRI's and have had good experience with them.

Lets be frank here, everyone has said SRI's are a waste of money, give you little to no improvement and we told you that this is because of the hot air it will be sucking in. Then you have the audacity to say we don't discuss things.

You seem like you're itching for an argument, unfortunately you won't win because you'll have to argue with yourself.

This I know. You can have an argument with the people who think SRI's just suck hot air. The reason the stock air filter doesn't just suck hot air is the same reason an SRI doesn't.

Ok I will provide a better analogy. If you put a heater in the corner of a room, the whole room gets warm. Now replace heater with the engine and the room with the engine bay. Doesn't matter if you heater is in the middle, hanging from the ceiling and bolted to the wall. Same problem. Unless your short ram intake is completely enclosed and have a snorkel that leads to where the stock one is, I'm going to guess behind the headlights then it will be sucking in hot air. The area behind the headlights has always been known to be a high pressure area and thus the air will always be cooler there than the other parts of the engine bay.

• Like 1

Lets be frank here, everyone has said SRI's are a waste of money, give you little to no improvement and we told you that this is because of the hot air it will be sucking in.

Selective reading? These guys both have one and seem happy with their choice:

just get an induction pipe to feed some cold air to the SRI it will solve the hot air problem.

Then you have the audacity to say we don't discuss things.

??? That was a reply to someone who said the same thing as you, that a CAI right down the front at the bottom was the only way to go. End of discussion? That's fine if that's your opinion, I'd like to hear from people who have an SRI, not start an argument on which one's better.

By the look of your car I would assume you don't have much experience with either a CAI or a SRI in a Corolla anyway, so I'm not sure how much input you can offer besides trying to start an argument.

Ok I will provide a better analogy. If you put a heater in the corner of a room, the whole room gets warm...

I'm not sure what your point is. Seems like you're preaching to the converted. Or you just like the sound of your own, um, keyboard.

• Like 1

I've done both, you get better throttle response with the SRI and better overall torque/power with a proper CAI with the pod in the guard. If you relocate the battery you can get a shorter CAI made that has the best of both worlds.

70mm piping is the best choice, 76mm (3") is to big and 2.5" is too small for the MAF to read correctly.

eg:

2zzintake1.jpg

2zzintake2.jpg

2zzintake3.jpg

Edited by CHA54
  • Like 1

I've done both, you get better throttle response with the SRI and better overall torque/power with a proper CAI with the pod in the guard. If you relocate the battery you can get a shorter CAI made that has the best of both worlds.

70mm piping is the best choice, 76mm (3") is to big and 2.5" is too small for the MAF to read correctly.

Thanks for the info.

Moving the battery is an option, but I'd like to keep as simple as possible so I can do it myself.

Which SRI did you go with?

I have actual data on a 7th gen celica with a SRI and CAI (injen) track and cruising. No difference between zzt231 and zze123.

30*C day

SRI = 60*C intake tmep

CAI = 32*C intake temp

No heat soak on either. Draw what you want.

• Like 1

welded one up myself with a 5" podram. The one pictured above uses a 6" podram.

Wow. Just... wow! Got a spare 1 sitting around? ; )

That's awesome.

I have actual data

Actual data?!? :blink: We want speculation and subjective opinion dammit! ; ) (How come there's no 'wink' emoticon?)

30*C day

SRI = 60*C intake tmep

CAI = 32*C intake temp

Was that peak temp (sitting still)? What were the temps on the SRI like when it was travelling at a decent speed?

i think SD might have been using some kind of monitoring device to record the temp intake for the celica

on a side note: a discussion is OK. don't jab at each other, it doesn't make the thread anymore interesting scares off potential new members. enough said.

carry on.

kenshin out.

it's pretty easy to monitor the intake temp with a powerfc ;)

ahh yes! does it mean there is another plug for the obdii? or does it still read it off under the drivers steering wheel?

Lol really you dont understand the point of the analogy. Ok let's say you are inside the room. You are breathing in hot air. Now if you have a tube that goes out the window, you will be breathing in cooler air. Also as an aside, it isn't just the engine itself that is hot. The radiator, and exhaust headers add substantial heat into the equation.

I have had a Sri so yes I have had experience with it. It does give you better initial throttle response and sound angrier. And now I have a cai and although it takes a fraction longer, the car has more pull. And since I am boosted the problem is even more pronounced. It doesnt matter if it is a camry or a corolla, the dynamics of how heat travels around the engine bay is still the same.

We are only here trying to save you money because some of us has experience with both. Had the Sri been like mine and only costed $50 shipped then I'd say go for it. But for 250 there are better options.

• Like 1