Daytime Running LEDs

lasertip

Hey guys,

I was thinking of getting a set of daytime LEDs like the ones here:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170546574338&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I want to put in a kill switch beside the parking sensors as well.

Because I'm a total noob at modding, I was thinking of connecting them to the ciggy lighter in parallel with an inline kill switch to cut power to both LEDs like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230492062561&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Is that a good idea? Or is there any other better option?

Thanks!

Edited by lasertip

Have a look at this DRL from Philips.

Highly recommeded!

Hey guys,

I was thinking of getting a set of daytime LEDs like the ones here:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170546574338&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I want to put in a kill switch beside the parking sensors as well.

Because I'm a total noob at modding, I was thinking of connecting them to the ciggy lighter in parallel with an inline kill switch to cut power to both LEDs like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230492062561&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Is that a good idea? Or is there any other better option?

Thanks!

Actually, I wanted to get those but they're only available in UK and they would cost around 150bucks incl shipping. If I go for the cheaper ones, I can get both HIDs and DRLs for that kind of money. Money makes the world go round =(

I agreed with you.

It is quite pricing but I have say this is the easiest DIY installation for DRL (no switch required, no soldering & cutting of wires - direct plug & play).

The one you found from ebay is not a bad one.

All you need is a DRL module to turns on automatically at the start of the engine and turn off when engine is off.

The module is very easy to install simply connect it directly to battery's positive and negative terminals, not only will avoid a lot of complicated installation such as finding and cutting stock wiring and allows you to have the "true" key-in-and-on daytime running lights function.

You can get the DRL module from this seller.

http://store.ijdmtoy...auto-switch.htm

Edited by the-converter

I agreed with you.

It is quite pricing but I have say this is the easiest DIY installation for DRL (no switch required, no soldering & cutting of wires - direct plug & play).

The one you found from ebay is not a bad one.

All you need is a DRL module to turns on automatically at the start of the engine and turn off when engine is off.

The module is very easy to install simply connect it directly to battery's positive and negative terminals, not only will avoid a lot of complicated installation such as finding and cutting stock wiring and allows you to have the "true" key-in-and-on daytime running lights function.

You can get the DRL module from this seller.

http://store.ijdmtoy...auto-switch.htm

Sweet. That looks like a great idea. I think I might get one of these, so I don't have to draw power from the ciggy lighter. I think I'll still put in an inline kill switch though. Just might be useful sometime.

And what percentage of people out there who have put on LED strips around their headlight etc have done so because they think it legitimately aides in their visibility? I'm pretty sure that the percentage in that case would be rather low. I could bet that the majority of them have done so because they think to themselves that it looks good. It's funny how you never really head of people doing it until Audi started doing so... but properly.

You can get the philips DRL from any philips retailer. Even autobarn has a philips book advertising their DRL. But personally speaking, if it didn't come with the car, it shouldn't be put on as all. The ebay ones arent even bright enough to really use them as DRLs.

Why you still want to put the inline kill switch?

It will defeats the whole purpose of having DRL.

Have a read about this article re DRL!

http://members.optusnet.com.au/carsafety/paine_drl_sep03.pdf

Hahaha. I'm just going to order the DRL autoswitch and a set of DRLs from the link you gave. I'll think about the inline kill switch in the future.

I've got a friend going to US soon, so he can pick it up for me and save like 20bucks on intl shipping.

DJKOR is right... they look hell good... cars with DRLs really do stand out. If it enhances safety, all the more reason to get it ;)

DJKOR is right... they look hell good... cars with DRLs really do stand out. If it enhances safety, all the more reason to get it ;)

I refuse to be part of that statement where you say I am right. My personal opinion is that DRL LED strips that try to copy the Audi layout look stupid.

1) Because only Audi can truly pull the look off properly in my opinion.

2) Because the design of the Audi DRL's are such that each LED is separated and can be distinguished from quite a distance.

3) Because the Audi DRL's are integrated and not just slapped on like an accessory.

Any other form of DRL like the Philips ones regardless of how they are mounted just would seem out of place as well in my opinion.

As for improving safety.... whatever makes you feel better in supporting your decision. I doubt it is going to make you any safer on the road.

• Like 1

I refuse to be part of that statement where you say I am right. My personal opinion is that DRL LED strips that try to copy the Audi layout look stupid.

2) Because the design of the Audi DRL's are such that each LED is separated and can be distinguished from quite a distance.

3) Because the Audi DRL's are integrated and not just slapped on like an accessory.

Any other form of DRL like the Philips ones regardless of how they are mounted just would seem out of place as well in my opinion.

As for improving safety.... whatever makes you feel better in supporting your decision. I doubt it is going to make you any safer on the road.

Sadly, I don't drive a TRD. I would have gotten a 2nd hand TRD but with fuel prices skyhigh, premium fuel is painful =s

Typical aurions aren't exactly head turners. I suppose that DRLs would do a little to improve that.

Definitely, they won't integrate as well as european cars that have DRLs incorporated into their design but hey, it's never too late to take them off if you get sick of them ;)

besides, 60bucks for a mod isn't really that expensive!

• Like 1

I have to agree on the above staements too, there's nothing more annoying, (to me), when you you see copy-cat mods, particularly from European vehicles.

The DRL fitted on Audi, BMW etc look ok, nothing special imho, but now the aftermarket craze haz kicked in, they bug me.

Just spotted DJKOR's avatar.....minds gone a little blank now :unsure:

60bucks for a mod isn't really that expensive!

Bit too much i got my drls for 6 dollars :ph34r:

I could get the LED lamps for that price from china but if I'm not wrong, you don't have the automatic switch as recommended by the-converter.

I mean, I could simply wire the DRLs to the ciggy lighter so that it'll turn on on engine start and shut off when I kill the engine. However, you don't have the additional features like dimming when headlights are turned on, etc. I just thought that it's worth paying a little more for that. You could get Philips Daylight 4 for 130AUD incl postage though. 83GBP + 15GBP postage off ebay UK. I decided to be cheap =D

I found this for you around AUD$75 incl postage from Germany.

This set of DRL does not required any separate module, already integrated with the DRL.

If you can't read German, try this just copy and paste the words.

http://translate.google.com

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LED-TAGFAHRLICHT-SCHWARZ-R87-TFL-MODUL-E-PRUZEICHEN-TUV-/320700131957?pt=Autoteile_Zubeh%C3%B6r&hash=item4aab37aa75

This is top quality product from Dectane.

You can visit https://www.dectane.de// for more information but don't buy directly from them.

It is much cheaper to buy from ebay, trust me.

Anyone know if the Phillips ones turn off at night? I would think they would as they are supposed to be legal in the eurepean market. Mine are in at Autobarn and getting installed on Wednesday.

Spied

Okay just found a clip on U tube with a bloke showing the same kit and when he turned his lights on the DRL's turned off. In another clip it shows splicing a wire into the headlight wires that goes to the Phillips control box, so that must trigger the controller to turn off the DRL's.

Cheers.

That "module" sounds like a Relay, hardly worth their asking price, even if it were solid state.

I wont comment on drls otherwise - theyre not my cup of tea but each to their own horrible ways

Anyone know if the Phillips ones turn off at night? I would think they would as they are supposed to be legal in the eurepean market. Mine are in at Autobarn and getting installed on Wednesday.

Spied

Good on you mate!

Which one you get from Autobarn? They have LED Daylight 4, 5 & 8.

The cheapest is 4 LEDs up the way to 8 LEDs.

I agree with DJKOR that they do not aid in visibility during the day. Mine are hard to see in the day but you know that they are on.

A main argue point that i have is that countless times I have had other vehicles drop down 10 or more Kph under the speed limit, probably thinking that I drive an undercover cop car. When i have my day lights on it never happens. In saying this it makes for a much quicker journey wherever I drive as I don't have nervous people in front thinking they will get a fine for doing the speed limit.

So i still maintain that yes they do nothing for safety and depending where you put them they look good in your own opinion. (which is the only one you need to listen to)

Good on you mate!

Which one you get from Autobarn? They have LED Daylight 4, 5 & 8.

The cheapest is 4 LEDs up the way to 8 LEDs.

I got the 4's and think they do make a car more visable in daylight. Went with Phillip's because they are supposadly high quality and meet the standards in Europe, plus warranty and local supply so any issues are easy to sort as opposed to Ebay IMHO of course YMMV.

Have you guys come across this?

I noticed that during dusk or even at night, I will usually spot a few drivers do not have their headlight on.

I am not sure why? Either they have forgotten or wanted to save their batteries.

I almost have an accident on a few occassions because I do not aware of their existence without the headlight on.

A proper DRL that will automatically turn on when the ignition on and turn off / dimmed when the headlight is on will play a proactive role to prevent an accident to happen in my situation above.

I am not saying DRL will save a life but it certainly will help other drivers to spot cars with DRL or make themselves more visible to other drivers.

Yet they are people out there thinking the LED will make their cars look good because they will attract attention from other drivers.

This is because in Australia they are still not many cars with DRL. Just imagined if all the cars on the road have DRL, will you still be bothered to look at them.

In most EU countries, DRL already become compulsory and people already get used to it nothing special anymore.

This is a trend and Australia will soon be part of them.

If you look at all the concept & future production cars, most of them will have DRL regardless they are German, Japan or Korean made.

Edited by the-converter