Free play in straight line

SCOOTA44

I have noticed since i had the trans replaced that there is quite a bit of free play in the steering while driving in a straight line, noticed a bit more driving in the wind, the car seems to weave a bit with the freeplay,I never had an issue with the "intermediate shaft spline" like some others. any ideas?

hey mate,

Did you end p taking it back to Co-op about it? when i drove it down in Hobart the other week it seemed to have a bit of free play before it would bight when you really gave the wheel a good turn. didn't seem to be as fast in the rack as mine when you quickly go left to right left to right?

hey mate,

Did you end p taking it back to Co-op about it? when i drove it down in Hobart the other week it seemed to have a bit of free play before it would bight when you really gave the wheel a good turn. didn't seem to be as fast in the rack as mine when you quickly go left to right left to right?

will take it back next week. im not happy with it at all, with the windy conditions we have had it seems to float on the highways.

• 3 weeks later...

Got the diagnosis on the steering, the steering rack ends have to be replaced, obviously worn out already.

Clearly this happened from drivng the wheels of the machine trying to keep up with a certain blue one through st marys pass :P

:toast:

Got the diagnosis on the steering, the steering rack ends have to be replaced, obviously worn out already.

Clearly this happened from drivng the wheels of the machine trying to keep up with a certain blue one through st marys pass :P

there was no chanced of keeping up with you with your setup !

:toast:

there was no chanced of keeping up with you with your setup !

Keep up? Least you didn't get ditched by your mates and stuck behind some old so-and-so in an SV6!

Lol nahh was all driver talent fella :P as Foss finds out every weekend on th go kart track :P ahaha nahh was good love chasing that AWD Mitsubishi its good fun!

& Foss suck it up princess lol if we'd pulled over we would of all got stuck behind the old fella in the slooowwww as SV6 lol sad times :(

Lol nahh was all driver talent fella :P

Bollocks

Would the steering rack ends cause noise when doin hard turns too?

What sort of noise? I'd be more inclined to assume its the intermediate shaft issue. Unless you've had that fixed already?

Posted Today, 12:21 PM

Adamsy, on 11 July 2011 - 10:25 PM, said:

Lol nahh was all driver talent fella

Bollocks

OHHHH cmon now the race track doesnt lie Foss :P closed the half lap gap to you and tuxy in like a lap and a half :P look at those alwesome battles with tuxy and those race lines bruv, could easily be vettel in that helmet! haha

Would the steering rack ends cause noise when doin hard turns too?

the only noise you get is when the motor is off and turn the wheel back and forth there is a slight clunk, when the motor is on there is slight freeplay and its more feel than noise.

• 3 weeks later...

Got quote for replacing 1 steering rack end.. $608.00 so I asked what was the quote to replace the whole steering rack...$1600. I think this will be the way to go.

• 5 weeks later...

Well lucky me, that I have a mechanic with an eye for detail. there was no problem with the steering rack ends or the rack itself, only the fact that when my transmission was replaced the "dealership" forgot to tighten the steering shaft bolt ( it wasn't even finger tight) It is just like new now.

Well lucky me, that I have a mechanic with an eye for detail. there was no problem with the steering rack ends or the rack itself, only the fact that when my transmission was replaced the "dealership" forgot to tighten the steering shaft bolt ( it wasn't even finger tight) It is just like new now.

They probably had an noob apprentice a$$hat working on your car that day. :P