'96 Tarago Radiator Boiling Over & steaming

Penno

I have read other "overheating topics" but needed to add my own to explain other symptoms for my 1996 Tarago.

* The temperature guage always sits just over half way and never goes to the red.

* If I fill the radiator tank to the required level, it heats up and spits out all coolant out of the tank,

* Today when I turned on heater, there was a 'banging/clunking' noise coming from under the bonnet.

* If the van is stone cold (outside temp 5 degrees C), within 1 km the temp guage is half way and heater appears to be working a treat...

* Exhaust sometimes smells like burnt gassy water and sometimes blows whiteish smoke...

* OIL is not cloudy and is a good colour/level but sometimes I smell burnt oil smell...

I am contemplating changing the thermostat but now I don't know what the problem could be???

I am assuming the thermostat is under the drivers seat, can anyone tell me if I need to take the drivers seat & floor pan out to change it?

if its blowing smoke thats not a good sign. Does it use water, ie do you have to keep topping up the level? If you remove the radiator cap when the car is cold is their any pressure evident? when you remove the cap can you smell petrol/ oil in the coolant? If you have these signs its likely you have a blown headgasket or cracked head. If so its time to do a compression test.

Pressurised cooling system (blowing out the overflow bottle), burning coolant (burnt water smell in exhaust, + white smoke), heating up extremely quickly even in winter (warm within 1km) sounds a lot like blown headgasket, although most likely just between the cylinder and water gallery if there isn't evidence of excessive oil burning or a milkshake under the oil cap.

It is using water... Keep filling it up but dont know where it's going (I'm assuming it is coming out of the overflow).... No pressure to cap when cold... Cannot smell petrol/oil in the coolant. when it comes out, it is still a pink colour with no dark tints.

Think a compression test is the way to go tho...

It it is a headgasket (but no milkshake in the oil), is there a fair bit of cost involved with repairs??

• 9 months later...

not good news. if it was an estima id say cacked head beyween no 3 4 cylinders .. sounds like a head gasket. con you get a cooling system combustion test, have a thorough check of cooling system esspecially the heater core and radiator,

• 6 months later...

If you are lucky, it will just be a gasket replacement.

If you are less lucky, it will be the above, and drilling/Heli coiling the block; expensive!

If you are really unlucky, it may be a complete engine exchange; very expensive.

I was, fortunately,one of the less lucky, it only cost about 2Grand; worth it, though.

I have read other "overheating topics" but needed to add my own to explain other symptoms for my 1996 Tarago.

* The temperature guage always sits just over half way and never goes to the red.

* If I fill the radiator tank to the required level, it heats up and spits out all coolant out of the tank,

* Today when I turned on heater, there was a 'banging/clunking' noise coming from under the bonnet.

* If the van is stone cold (outside temp 5 degrees C), within 1 km the temp guage is half way and heater appears to be working a treat...

* Exhaust sometimes smells like burnt gassy water and sometimes blows whiteish smoke...

* OIL is not cloudy and is a good colour/level but sometimes I smell burnt oil smell...

I am contemplating changing the thermostat but now I don't know what the problem could be???

I am assuming the thermostat is under the drivers seat, can anyone tell me if I need to take the drivers seat & floor pan out to change it?

I had exactly the same symptoms on a 1990 TCR12. It just seemed to run too hot in Summer and occasionally got very hot overflowed.

It ended up being a blocked radiator. I had the radiator disassembled and cleaned out out.

The vehicle was sold recently with 300,000km and the engine still fine.

There is a quick check. Turn on the heater at full fan and full heat and see if the engine cools downs/stops boiling. If the heater "fixes" it then it's likely to be blocked radiator. The heater adds some cooling capacity to the system.

I suggest you look for the "simple" faults first.

Let us know how you get on.

• 4 weeks later...

This appears to be a common problem with these motors: Oh what a feeling! BUGGER.

The TCR series engines are quite different to the ACR/MCR engines. Your Estima engine is 2AZFE (2.4) or 1MZFE (3.0), Davo.

I wouldn't judge the design too harshly: most TCRs are in the 200k-300k mark and have had a few owners. The sludge in the radiator is caused by a lack of maintenance or lack of the correct coolant.

The TCR engines generally last well provided they are not overheated or run when low in oil.

Edited by robmac1

• 2 months later...

The problem was finally solved; a Camry motor! The overall cost was only $4500; not much much if you say fast!

I still my Estima and I still believe it was worth the expense. I am not sure if the Paki who sold it to me knew, or not.

I prefer to think he did not.

Davo.