closed please delete

KIRIUS

Either trent or myself (or both of us) could fix this, but it is quite a time consuming process.

ilmao..backwards...

Thats what i thought.

i think it'll be a pain of a job and i dont wanna stress either of you out,even for the $, Trent's got work, and Mick im sure your very over the headache of pulling motors apart.

I've been slowly pulling it apart today to try and locate the noise and confirm its a bearing. Have a silvia enthusiast in the lines helping me, maybe after we strip it down, if we cant figure out what the prob is i may ask one of you guys to come take a look if you get a spare hour (*waves a $50* LOL) to point me in the right direction and ill see if i can get it back together and running.

Its good though! im learning heaps from this little problem. :lol:

How far have you pulled it down?

Valve covers off

fan is off

coil packs and plug leads off

some hoses are off

water pump pulley is off

As well as that larger belt

timing belt looks fine.

we temporarily pulled off and checked out the bearings on the cam shafts.

radiator is disconnected we undone some of the brackets

Got as far as the bottom large pulley but the bolt was a 22mil and i havent bought sockets that large. (doing that tomorrow :D )

My bad if some names are wrong/outta place. i could draw everything we did, but im screwed if someone asked me to name them...

for now anyway.

Edited by KIRIUS

Have you drained the oil? Is there any metal in it? Also does it sound top or bottom end? A trick to test is using a screw driver as a stethoscope. Some main and rod bearings can actually be changed whilst the engine is in the car, but I stress it is the dodgy way to do it and a prick of a job, just depends on the car.

I don't mind helping but where I am working at the moment doesn't give me any time during daylight hours. Bottom end work defintely requires light.

Edited by trentmeyer23

Yup drained and refilled cause we ran a flush, oil has fine metal particles in it, we done the stethoscope thing as well lol, sounds bottom end. :(

i will probably end up hiring a hoist to pull it out when we know exactly what the prob is and if its necessary.(dont even know where the hell i'd have to borrow one, haha ill harrass rent-a-car :D )

Have it under a car port with lights atm got powerpoints to plug more in if i need to buy them.

I would appreciate the help but i'll see if i can find the problem before i annoy you guys. :unsure:

thanks heaps for the info, its all helping!

Yup drained and refilled cause we ran a flush, oil has fine metal particles in it, we done the stethoscope thing as well lol, sounds bottom end. :(

i will probably end up hiring a hoist to pull it out when we know exactly what the prob is and if its necessary.(dont even know where the hell i'd have to borrow one, haha ill harrass rent-a-car :D )

Kennards or Coates should have them.

just a side thought -

for the amount of money and time its going to take to rebuild the 1JZ - would it be worth getting a 2JZ front cut cheap with low km's and dropping that in?

Whats ur estimated rebuild cost on the motor? I'll have a look around and see what I can find a 2JZ going for - and failing that u can always drop a 1UZ quad cam in and chuck a couple of TD05 or VF35 subaru turbo's on it with a custom manifold... i know someone who can weld the flanges in too ;)

Just a thought :whistling:

Edited by Stewbie

just a side thought -

for the amount of money and time its going to take to rebuild the 1JZ - would it be worth getting a 2JZ front cut cheap with low km's and dropping that in?

Whats ur estimated rebuild cost on the motor? I'll have a look around and see what I can find a 2JZ going for - and failing that u can always drop a 1UZ quad cam in and chuck a couple of TD05 or VF35 subaru turbo's on it with a custom manifold... i know someone who can weld the flanges in too ;)

it would be 1000x easier just to rebuild the 1J... you need to do a whole load of re-wiring and other stuff to make a diff motor fit.

just a side thought -

it would be 1000x easier just to rebuild the 1J... you need to do a whole load of re-wiring and other stuff to make a diff motor fit.

im happy with the 1jz, may contemplate oneday what others have done e.g 1.5jz, im aiming this thing to be a RELIABLE car with a bit of fun. i need to find something lighter to go nuts on in the future like an mr2 or an mx5, havent bothered thinking that far ahead yet ^_^

mx-5 :D !

*i know its a girly car or my mates think of it as a more girlier car than the mr2 but i dont care i'd go for the mx 5 ;)*

find a "bullet" or dump a small v8 in one.. we'll see who's calling what a girls car. :P