Headlight Adjustment

jps137

Can anyone help me?

I am trying to adjust the headlights on my mother in-laws Camry I think it is around 1995 vintage as their angle is way too low. There appears to be an adjustment screw on the outboard side of the top of each headlight but I do not get enough adjustment from this, are there any other adjustment points?

are you sure you've turned the adjusting screw enough? it requires a fair bit to make any noticeable difference.

secondly, what are you using as a reference? you should be either 3m or 25 away from a wall, and the top of the beam of the low-beams should be just under the horizontal line. the horizontal line is the point on the wall that the middle of the headlights meet.

you may also want to check the quality of the globes. some globes differ even between the same type and make, and can cause the beam to shine at a slightly different angle which can cause adjustment issues.

are you sure you've turned the adjusting screw enough? it requires a fair bit to make any noticeable difference.

secondly, what are you using as a reference? you should be either 3m or 25 away from a wall, and the top of the beam of the low-beams should be just under the horizontal line. the horizontal line is the point on the wall that the middle of the headlights meet.

you may also want to check the quality of the globes. some globes differ even between the same type and make, and can cause the beam to shine at a slightly different angle which can cause adjustment issues.

Thanks, I am using the 25foot 2inch rule (doesn't quite sound as good in metric 7.5m 52mm).

"25feet from the wall top line of light should be 2inch below the height of middle of the headlight."

I found with quite a bit of turning of the screw it did make some difference but then stopped making any difference at all. I will try new globes though the light is strong they may be poor quality in how they throw the light.