Free Trade Agreement FTA

Hey guys i'm thinking of importing a part from the USA which will cost more than 1k...

One question regarding the AUSFTA... are car parts included in the FTA? i'm looking to limit the tax i pay on these parts as much as possible...

looked on this site here but i couldnt find anything related to automobile parts?

thanks

You will DEFINITELY have to pay a customs tax/. I have bought over $10,000 worth of parts from the US and paid it on the only item worth over $1000, the rest I have had split up and sent as seperate packages.

gtfour u have pm. yeah i always knew u had to pay GST but i was told there was something else u can do to eliminate the duty tax.

i actually rang australian customs in the morning and they said that there is a duty tax paid on the cost price of the item. THEN there is GST and the GST is 10% and is comprised of 3 parts:

1) the purchase price of the item

2) the duty tax

3) the freight and insurance costs for the item.

So basically u have to work out the duty tax which is 5%, then u add that on the purchase price and frieght and insurance and then from that you work out the GST 10% and add that on top. (this is where the "TAX ON TAX" comes in)

So in the end you pay GST ON THE DUTY TAX grrr....

i worked out roughly 1.1k in taxes on top of the gearbox and still yet labour costs to install the thing on my car -_-

anyways, customs said that if the gear box is manufactured in the usa, the seller must provide a certificate to proove that the gearbox is manufactured in usa so that the duty tax can be eliminated. i asked if the box is "rebuilt" in usa would that be good enough. she said "no" as the box was orginally from overseas (japan) and the LSD coming from japan also...

i checked the FTA and currently still in negotiations with japan on the FTA... sucks ballz -_-

I've always wondered about GST... It stands for Government Service Tax right? What service have they given us on products that we import directly from overseas? Is it for calculating the import duty and making sure we pay it before we collect the stuff? lol