Coilover question

Kenshin X

Hey people, question about coilovers in general.

basically i've raised my car higher to accomodate the phat offset of my new wheels. i've raised it to the point where the gap between the edge of the tyre to the guard is the same all around. but when i put back the weight in the rear (seats + sparewheels and trimmings), the car sits lower than i like again.

now my question is, if i take out all the weight and set the dampers high (say 15/32 clicks or more) and then put back the weight in the car, will the car sit same height as before with softer damper settings? i wanna ask before i spend my weekend taking out all the damn trimmings and finding it sits the same as before <_<

thanks

I'm no expert on the subject, but I thought your shock adjustment should have nothing to do with the way the car sits. That all lies within the springs.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

no, for my peddars, they are only for rebound

btw, I have the photos of seats being taken out for johnnieboi, send to u later

Edited by ben yip

Damper settings have nothing to do with the overall ride height. you will need to compress the springs more on the coil to give yourself more height in the rear.

This.

The dampening adjustment is adjusting the valving within the strut so that it moves faster or slower through the gas or fluid (a gas is basically a fluid anyway). The car will still sit at the same level regardless of the dampening setting as it is the spring that is loading up to balance the weight of the sprung mass.

For example 1200kg of car needs to carry 300kg/corner. If the spring rate is 3kg/mm then the spring will compress 100mm before it counters the sprung mass. This example obviously assumes equal weight distribution and neglects the unsprung mass; but it is only a simple example.

• 3 weeks later...

Wise words from SuperDave. :)

Also to add Duy, you have to take into account if you put the dampening too high, that would affect your handling. For example, going over an unexpected bump in the road in a high speed corner could upset your car to the point where you may experience lift-off oversteer. (No bull.. :( ). Remember, when adjusting the height of the springs, you have to adjust the height of the shocks as well. :)