werid ticking

hey tocau

I have just noticed a slight tick when the car is cold or doing very slow left or right turns .... you can feel it slightly through the steering wheel. Its only 2 to 4 ticks through the whole turning proccess e.g turning the steering wheel from the very left to the very right and vice versa.

I had a look at the cv boots and they look fine with no oil on them and no holes, the car is lowered with king l/sl combo, koni fsd shocks and i made sure the boot was in nice and tight when installed them a couple of months ago....

has any one ever experinced or heard of any thing like this, any info would be greatly aprechiated so i can help the mechanics try and get an idea where to start looking.

Thanks

Dave

hey tocau

I have just noticed a slight tick when the car is cold or doing very slow left or right turns .... you can feel it slightly through the steering wheel. Its only 2 to 4 ticks through the whole turning proccess e.g turning the steering wheel from the very left to the very right and vice versa.

I had a look at the cv boots and they look fine with no oil on them and no holes, the car is lowered with king l/sl combo, koni fsd shocks and i made sure the boot was in nice and tight when installed them a couple of months ago....

has any one ever experinced or heard of any thing like this, any info would be greatly aprechiated so i can help the mechanics try and get an idea where to start looking.

Thanks

Dave

Does sound like your cv's, maybe repack them full of some thicker grease.....other than that, suspension bushings, put your car up on stands (30-40 bucks from supersh!t) and have a friend take a look at the wheel clearence through the whole motion (be VERY CAREFUL whilst getting in/leaning on your car while it is on stands). Does it sound like it coming from the front or the rear?

Does sound like your cv's, maybe repack them full of some thicker grease.....other than that, suspension bushings, put your car up on stands (30-40 bucks from supersh!t) and have a friend take a look at the wheel clearence through the whole motion (be VERY CAREFUL whilst getting in/leaning on your car while it is on stands). Does it sound like it coming from the front or the rear?

if you do this, make sure you turn the steering wheel VERY slowly. with no weight on the system, you run the risk of turning your steering boots inside out and stuffing the rack if it's turned too quickly.

but otherwise i agree it sounds like the cv's are wearing prematurely. if it turns into a pulsing sound it could be the hubs.

ts definitely coming from the front of the car but having trouble pin pointing it as i haven’t had some one else turn the wheel yet so basically i just got my head out the window trying to generally pin point it .

It is a little hard to believe it could be cv's cars only done 80,000km but i guess time will tell.

suspension bushings was my first thought as it doesn’t really sound like a cv joint it just a slight tick like tapping two marbles together.

cheers

dave

Edited by 2zz corolla

This might sound silly, but just check your tyres for something caught in the tread, like a stone or screw or something....

I have a Rav4 now and I remember a few months back, I heard a ticking sound everytime I turned left.... couldn't pin it and Toyota reckoned I needed to pull out drive shafts and stuff. As I returned to my car, the wheels where turned one way slightly, and I notices a rock in the tread, I plucked it out and never heard anything since....

Just a thought, sometimes it's the simple things...

This might sound silly, but just check your tyres for something caught in the tread, like a stone or screw or something....

I have a Rav4 now and I remember a few months back, I heard a ticking sound everytime I turned left.... couldn't pin it and Toyota reckoned I needed to pull out drive shafts and stuff. As I returned to my car, the wheels where turned one way slightly, and I notices a rock in the tread, I plucked it out and never heard anything since....

Just a thought, sometimes it's the simple things...

second this, its happened to me more than once and its the most annoying thing ever. sometimes u cant find it as its stuck under the wheel. at one time thought it was something serious but once i drove thru a puddle it all cleared :D

thanks for every ones post ill look into it this weekend or next, hope fully find some thing simple.

I did recnetly get the front rotors machined and a new resonator installed so might be some thing to do along with those.

I know the exhaust does sit lower now and i had to remove the black little metal support under the car as it was hitting that constantly.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for every ones post ill look into it this weekend or next, hope fully find some thing simple.

I did recnetly get the front rotors machined and a new resonator installed so might be some thing to do along with those.

I know the exhaust does sit lower now and i had to remove the black little metal support under the car as it was hitting that constantly.

Cheers

Dave

Re: the exhaust....I know some after market exhausts on a Corolla can have a tendency to knock. The CES for example can sometimes knock where the system arches over the rear torsion beam. Search for it on here cause I think there are some pictures on how to overcome that issue, or contact Silvabullit.

Cheers

Aaron