Silly question about tyres again~

WUPA

Hi guys,

I got a silly question again. As I said yesterday, my tyre got a nail in it. Some good fellows in this forum suggested me to go to a tyre shop.

So i'm thinking a stupid option. How about I use my spare tyre as my regular tyre to drive everyday, and use my old tyre as my spare tyre when the hole is plugged? Does it work?

I'm thinking in this case, I can drive with the good new tyre everyday, although it used to be a spare tyre, haha.

What do you think?

When I had a puncture and was getting the hole plugged up I was talking to the technician and he told me that the rubber plug they put into the tyre to fill the nail hole will soften and melt with the heat generated by the repaired tyre in contact with the road whilst driving. The softened rubber will cover the hole with the centrifical force of the spinning tyre and provide a better seal against leaks.

Given the above, I'll recommend using the repaired tyre for a period of time to ensure the rubber plug is heated up to seal the hole properly before changing the tyres over with the good one and using the repaired tyre as a spare. :D

You're not going to get any benefit from swapping with your spare. The plugged tyre will be just as safe and work just as well as an undamaged one - it wouldn't be legal if it wasn't.

Plus if you're rotating your tyres properly, the plugged tyre will spend up to 60,000kms on the road eventually anyway.

IMHO, you should be including the spare into your regular tyre rotations every 10,000km or so anyway. Otherwise you'll never use the spare and you'll just go through sets and sets of 4 tyres. Eventually, when you DO need to use the spare, it's probably at a stage where it's perished and isn't much use.

By including your spare into your regular tyre rotations, you can be assured that you will always have a spare that checked regularly and is in useable condition.

Good thing the Aurions have a full sized spare with same rims and tyres as the other 4 wheels as factory standard. I never liked space saver tyres. WTF is up with car manufacturers skimping on something like that?

Good thing the Aurions have a full sized spare with same rims and tyres as the other 4 wheels as factory standard. I never liked space saver tyres. WTF is up with car manufacturers skimping on something like that?

Unless you buy a TRD. Then you get a spacesaver.

In addition to the points on rotations, this doesn't apply if you have directional tyres. With directionals you can only swap the front wheel of each side with the back wheel of the same side as directional tyres are designed to only spin a certain direction. For this reason you should never have a directional spare, and shouldn't include your spare in your wheel rotation.

:blink: I genuinely did not know that. That sucks more than a Dyson.

:blink: I genuinely did not know that. That sucks more than a Dyson.

Sorta off topic Sorta on topic...

Went and had a look at one of those diesel ford fiesta's.... guess what they give you standard...

No wrong not a full size spare..

Nope again... not even a spacesaver..

They include as standard..... a repair kit.... what happens if you totally stuff the tyre or rim up and could drive on a spare..

Salesperson did tell me that they can supply a spacesaver for a price..

Sorry about the off topic thing..

Sorta off topic Sorta on topic...

Went and had a look at one of those diesel ford fiesta's.... guess what they give you standard...

No wrong not a full size spare..

Nope again... not even a spacesaver..

They include as standard..... a repair kit.... what happens if you totally stuff the tyre or rim up and could drive on a spare..

Salesperson did tell me that they can supply a spacesaver for a price..

Sorry about the off topic thing..

The Mazda RX8's were like that. When you bought one, you could choose either a spacesaver or a repair kit if you wanted to reduce the weight of the car. I guess if you had RACQ or something like that, you may be able to justify taking the chance.

By the way, the TRD isn't a real spacesaver. It is a standard Camry Sportivo 17x7 wheel painted yellow. Comes with a decent Dunlop 215/55R17 tire so it's completely safe to roll on.

As it stands currently the only vehicles in the Toyota range that doesn’t have full size spare is Prius where you either get a space saver of the goo and Rukus which has a space saver. & much to my relief TRD ran the standard Camry and Aurion Sportivo alloy rim just painted yellow as DJKOR mentioned which of course means for all of us with 19's on our Sportivo's we too can use out 17in spare wheel on the car if we get a flat. You just need the factory nuts again for that wheel as many Aftermarket Alloy wheels have a different nut which isn’t always compatible with OEM Alloys.