Hello again TOCAU

jasonwlin

So a while ago, I was on this forum constantly. However, due to work and other things, my time on TOCAU took a back seat and eventually disappeared. Anyway, so I'm looking at trying to increase my TOCAU time again, so here I am C:.

Just a quick update/introduction: I bought my black 07 ZR6 mid-February of this year at a price that still makes me smile. Around a month or two after, I installed a K&N CAI to replace the original; not for any performance reasons, but rather audio (I did a quick review a while back). Since then, I have made no modifications to the car but I plan to perhaps add an AUX input for my stock head unit just like in shane_85's guide or purchase an after market head unit.

My opinions so far are that the car is brilliant (in my eyes) and I'd do it all again if I had the choice. My only thing against my ZR6 is that it's black and there's no contrast between the black grill/lip/bumper and the body paint (the contrast in colour looks pretty good), but really, I'm just nitpicking here.

With regards to the CAI, it's a love-hate relationship there; I love the sound that I get when I go past 3000 RPM, but the smell I get is very off-putting. To describe it further (and keep in mind this only happened after the intake was installed and only when I put my foot down), the smell is kind of like a cross between rotten egg and fart. Could anyone hazard a guess as to why this is happening?

I flicked through the forum and found the thread of what I was describing. So it does seem like it's from the fuel. There's no real mention of how to fix it though. And it also seems a bit weird that I only got it after changing my intake. Any suggestions on a fix? I might stop filling up at Safeway-Caltex from now on and see how that goes.

Will try flooring it a bit more to see how I go with the smell.

I flicked through the forum and found the thread of what I was describing. So it does seem like it's from the fuel. There's no real mention of how to fix it though. And it also seems a bit weird that I only got it after changing my intake. Any suggestions on a fix? I might stop filling up at Safeway-Caltex from now on and see how that goes.

Will try flooring it a bit more to see how I go with the smell.

If your smelling sulphur the your cat is working. I have the K&N sri and i have not noticed any difference in emissions. you can get a wiff if you pull up and the last exhaust fumes leach out of the mufflers and blows under your car to be picked by the fan intake.

• 2 weeks later...

I get that same rotten egg gas smell in MY 12/07 ZR6 but mine is as stock as a rock, only recently got magnaflow mufflers and that seemed to have got rid of the smell. I have had a chat wit a mate of mine who is a forman at toyota, he mentioned that as I dont drive my car really hard it could just be a fuel thing and the car doesnt get a flogging so no real clean out or flush