Auto headlights

TRD468

Hey guys, i always have my headlights in the "auto" position and i realised the other day (really hot and sunny) i was driving with the sun facing directly at me and my lights were still on. Sometimes they will switch off when there is sunlight but very rarely, they always seem to be on. Is there a way to fix this problem? And where abouts is the sensor for the auto headlights?

nah its just the car comes with that feature and i would like to use it, but i was just concerned with the way it performs. I hate having all this new technology and not making the most of it...

Top and centre:

d9ffe905.jpg

The sensor is biased to the up direction, so if you drive under a bridge, despite a lot of surrounding light, the lights will almost always come on.

You'll have to look up next time, to see the light levels. If the main intensity is from the front, the light could play with the sensor, like it can on a digital camera.

Hey guys, i always have my headlights in the "auto" position and i realised the other day (really hot and sunny) i was driving with the sun facing directly at me and my lights were still on. Sometimes they will switch off when there is sunlight but very rarely, they always seem to be on. Is there a way to fix this problem? And where abouts is the sensor for the auto headlights?

Mate I cant see anything wrong with having your headlight switch constantly set to AUTO, we personally don,t but hey as you stated{you have the creature comforts} so why not use them.The sensor is located on the top of your dash in the middle at the bottom of the windscreen as per 450HP/tonne,s Diagram.If you have a dash mat just make sure it has the relevant cut out otherwise the sensor will always be thinking it is night time. By the way there are four other settings Toyota can set in regards to the sensitivity of the light sensor {two lighter than normal & two darker than normal}

Cheers CONROD

Hahaha you cannot be serious that is where the sensor is...laugh.gif I have a little mascot sitting right on top of it (he is meant to protect the car whilst im out).. rolleyes.gif Thanks for your help i shall remove the objects off the dash board and see if the auto lights improve. Thanks for that diagram,! Cheers guys.toast.gif

Heh heh... so you had your mascot sitting on top of the sensor?

I guess it would be fair to say that the problem exists between the steering wheel and seat....... :P

Oh well, it happens to all of us at some stage. :D

yep i will have to agree with you on that haha, i had no idea what that little red thing was, i didn't take much notice. (i thought it was a security light or something) But It's all good now, Cheers guys biggrin.gif

I have a little mascot sitting right on top of it

Hahaha! I hope you stay safe without it!

If I put anything up there, it would be constantly flying around the car every time I accelerate or brake. Last week I had a parking ticket (from a machine, not a fine) which I got to fly from the front left speaker and land on the centre of my diary on the passenger seat. I even had to back off a little so it wouldn't overshoot.

LOL don't feel too bad you’re not the first person to of done this. We get people coming in all the time complaining about the auto headlamps and 99.9% of the time there is a fluffy toy over the sensor or they haven’t cut out the circle in the dash mat.