4ABHGE's Red Lunch Box - Goners!

4ABHGE

hey do u mind me sitting in the car on track with u one day? i cant guarantee i wont ruin ur power to weight ratio though LAWL :D

As long as you dont eat or drink for a few weeks and are naked... you need to be under 50kg hahaha

Yeah sure, I wont be visiting the track for a while, need to sort out a few things with the car before next time, probs early next year?

Edited by 4ABHGE

Today I dug up my short shifter which I have had laying around for years. Its for an AE102 but never fitted into the car i purchased it for.

After playing around with the SX I realised the shifter boxes line right up between the 82 and SX. So I found the spare shifter box and hacked it up with an angle grinder.

Heres a comparo between the aftermarket short shift, a celica ST185 shifter, and the standard one - the further the bottom of the stick is from the ball, the less throw there is ;)

IMG_20120924_142058_zpsb2775058.jpg

Here it is once I put it all back together.

IMG_20120924_163519_zps718db203.jpg

I took it for a spin and found that the throw was drastically reduced! It was less than half the throw from standard. But I had a few issues with it.

I found there was too much resistance when changing gears, which in fact slowed my gear changes down (not enough gym yo) The other issue was the new position of the stick. Due to being an AE102 shifter the bend was no where near the degree of the standard stick, this caused it to be too far forward and I found myself stretching to reach certain gears.

So to reduce the resistance and fix the position of the stick while still keeping less throw than the stock shifter, I made a contraption up which relocated the gear knob to a position closer to the wheel and the driver, while doing this the knob was moved upwards to allow better leverage and reduce the resistance.

304348_468937266460759_1163881701_n_zps10148e84.jpg

So happy with this mod, throw is significantly reduced and its easier to drive! gear changes are quicker and slicker than ever! :D

Looks goods. FIle it down and make smooth.

Thanks broselito, I have done just that, although i now need to either paint it or polish it because looks all scratched up

Found some snaps on my travels through the interwebs... :D

melbs15_160912_61.jpg

melbs15_160912_39.jpg

IMG_9483.jpg

Edited by 4ABHGE

Finally! Got short shifter! 😄

I like the mod to reposition the gear knob. Where'd you get the idea from?

Its not like rowing a boat any more :P

Got the idea from Hybrid racing and their short shift mod for the civics lol

11_1RyE_195.jpg

Edited by 4ABHGE

After stalling for such a long time, I thought that I should get the exhaust done.

The exhaust setup I had previously was a fairly standard setup apart from the straight through xforce muffler with dodgy welds. This caused many exhaust leaks around those weld points... It was loud, droney and no better than standard, actually if anything it was probably worse.

So after making a few orders the mailman made a visit last week dropping off these two Magnaflow items. A High-Flow Cat Converter and a Straight through muffler both in 2.25 inch.

IMGP1269.jpg

meow.

So I went about fitting them up at the exhaust shop. After getting quotes from many places and advice, I went to TrueFlow in Melton. Walked in and told them that I wanted a 2.25 mandrel system and ill supply cat and muffler etc etc.

As I returned to collect the car, I found that they not only welded in the cat and muffler, but they also kinda remade my secondaries and flex pipe!! Not bad bit of work when they didnt even charge me a cent over what they quoted :D

IMGP1298.jpg

IMGP1300.jpg

IMGP1285.jpg

I didnt end up going with a tip, I like how raw it looks as it is... lol

IMGP1307.jpg

I took it for a spin right away and found the car to be less droney. When you are cruising I actually found it easier to talk and listen to my passeger than before, I wasnt yelling anymore haha

Once you put your foot down it turns up to 11! I found that there is alot more response, torque and power! She even chirps easier in 2nd! :D

IMGP1275.jpg

IMGP1279.jpg

Obligatory fly by vid

• 2 weeks later...

Why put chairs back in?

My good sir, i believe that in achieving this method, it will allow him to acquire promiscuous females to engage in conversation in his vehicle !

Why put chairs back in?

My good sir, i believe that in achieving this method, it will allow him to acquire promiscuous females to engage in conversation in his vehicle !

Thanks to his red brothel light, this man knows!

• 3 weeks later...

Not much of an update.

Been busy with school and what not so the car has been a bit neglected...

But I tried on the gemini wheels again with my spacers, turns out theyre the same hubcentric bore as my 6UL's, not to mention they fit perfectly in the guards now. Im currently only running them on the rear and whenever i even think of making a turn they scrub :P

IMGP3448.jpg

IMGP3447.jpg

IMGP3454.jpg

The suspension has settled a bit now so i cant do this trick anymore... which means theres very little rear wheel gap now :D

Also the interior is back in...

IMGP3463.jpg

IMGP3469.jpg

And i deleted my rear wiper because it was blowing my fuses and i couldnt drive without wipers lol illl give the bolt a quick rust-convert and paint once i have time ;)

IMGP3471.jpg

Thanks senor defyant! Youll want to watch this space as big things are happening in the new year ;)

Nah it steers the car, gets more steering lock and required less force to turn. Steering wheel is just for aesthetics and I change gear with the column stalks ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Came across a couple of pics :D

8194618243_d2657dab65_c.jpg

8194652137_c178e2a5a6_c.jpg

And my favourite...

8195742982_2703b9fbf4_c.jpg

Also tried on a mates set of very wide BBS wheels

65339_494079347279884_974771032_n.jpg

Got a few big things planned for the car in the new year, and hopefully its back out on the track in march :)

Edited by 4ABHGE