4ABHGE's Red Lunch Box - Goners!

4ABHGE

Hey guys,

I drive a Toyota AE82 Corolla Twin Cam Series 1, with original mismatching interior bits, stiff suspension and 86kw of 4AGE fury!! lol

The plan with this car is to have a nice reliable cheap daily P-plater car that will allow me to have a bit of fun at the track.
The previous owner had the engine and gearbox reco'd and did one track day with it, so it is (should say was now tongue.png ) pretty fresh and runs smoothly. It was meant to be a rally car so I like to believe I saved it from being tortured to death on gravel smile.png

Mods so far:
- Custom CAI
- Fake Bride seats with custom rails
- AE100 STD Coilovers, modified to fit by Manon Racing Products (MRP)
- Front slotted larger rotors (that were fitted the wrong way by previous owner sleep.png lol)
- 15x7 949racing 6UL
- Kumho KU36 205/50/15

How it looked when the previous owner bought it (dont have a photo of when i did. looked the same though)

5376765119d0789ec343b.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

How it looks now

photo0556n.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And at the TCCAV meet:

IMG_2150.JPG
IMG_2151.JPG
IMG_2160.JPG

Car still needs alot of work to get it to be how i want it to, but that all takes time.

Oh and today's trackday?

So today I woke up at 5AM and drove up to winton for the winton tampered track day, the first proper track day ive attended, and first track day i have attended in this car. Got to scrutineering, acting all noob because i am and asked for directions to everywhere lol

Pics of car:

sam0027.jpg
umadbro?

Prepared the car and went out for my first session aiming for a measly 2:00 lap time.
I went around fairly easily just getting to know the circuit again and the car in these conditions and it was a bit sketchy here and there but not too bad. The session got cut short another car getting stuck in the gravel trap. So i was a bit disappointed about that, and crawled back to the pits to see my time... lo and behold I have a look at the screen and am shocked that i got a 1:51.4!!

So I got all pumped and went out for the next session, making a few adjustments to my shocks beforehand. The car felt much better but still very floaty and understeery. Traffic didnt help in this session, kept on getting held up by other cars, which wasnt very fun sad.png Came back with a 1:52.3

The car kept surging because i had no petroleum, so i dashed into town to get some. Got back just in time to lower my tyre pressures and adjust my shocks up before heading out with a passenger this time. Ended up with a 1:52 flat

Session 4: Went out by myself and had a few hotlaps, car was nicely adjusted for the track, only thing holding me up was the tyres, at the beginning. I pushed the car a little bit more and managed a 1:49.5990 PB

Then on my last lap my head gasket blew and i lot pretty much all compression in 2nd and 3rd cylinders GAH!!! sad.png
We packed up and limped home, really happy, but kinda sad with the results form the day...

i have some video ill upload of session 2 and sesh 4's BHG shenanigans in the next few days

Thanks for looking smile.png

Edited by 4ABHGE

Got some photos from Jeffy (thanks again!)

Jeffy the "ninja" photographer strikes again! Who's knows where he will appear next.. :ph34r:

Nice one Jeffy, sorry to hear about the Gasket mate.. I had an AE82 like yours.. loved it! when they are lowered just right you can really roar around the corners. :D

Hopefully shes back on the road by the end of this week... Im having withdrawal symptoms! :(

In other news, Ive got a few things coming in over the next few days and as soon as its moving again ill start tidying the thing up :)

You are fast, man, Do you have a video of your PB? I have tried to watch that video a few times, it is very hard to load the video up

Good pick on KU36, they are fast and cheap, and I believe they are faster than my re002...

What was your old car?

Please also let me know the cause of blown gasket? 4AGE is supposed to be very reliable engine

Edited by ben yip

+1, dude you were heaps fast, i had enough troubles trying to catch ben :P

i was set on RE002s now i'm being swayed to KU36s considering the time you managed. I guess i'll do more research into it.

lightness really does make a difference, i think your car is 960? mine is 1060 T_______T, i hope to make a 1.45 someday.

Thanks mate :) I actually dont have a video sadly, i had a bit of a stupid moment and forgot to turn the camera on during the excitement building up to the last session. Posted my times and then turned the camera on just to catch my head gasket blowing :/

The cause was because of two reasons. The first being the heat and stress getting to the motor, and the second was the dodgy engine builder who "reco'd" the engine 2 owners ago was a bit silly and put a shim in between the gasket and the block so the driver could run the car on 91ron fuel. When the 4 materials of the block, shim, gasket and head are all flexing in different directions all it takes is a little of the shim or gasket to go into the combustion chamber to blow that gasket to bits.

After assessing and working on the car the last few days the engine builder was a butcher! missing bolts and mismatching bolts on the head and everywhere in the engine bay! not happy with the head of that engine one bit!

Guess I was just stuck behind the wrong people :(

LOL thats my favorite photo, its an awesome shot! :)

Theyre an awesome tyre! probably the best street/track compromise tyre you can get, I daily drive on them aswell and theyve lasted easily over 6000km including the previous owner using them as just a track wheel as i had bought them second hand. I saw in your thread a picture of you driving along kings road here in delahey, so youre local to me. When my car is back on the road ill be taking my wheels off and you can take them for a spin if you would like to try them out :)

My car in current spec is about 915 kilos give or take a few... but it will weigh roughly 875 by the end of next week... ( youll see some pics below)

Remove your seats Phil! get rid of that extra weight!

With my new setup and a wheel alignment done im hoping there is a sub 1:48 on these tyres. Rece you to 1:45? :P

once again thanks for the shots Jeff! :)

So today? Frustrated and fed up from working on this stupid FWD Bigport, which has a few stupid design flaws and the fact that a butcher had rebuilt the engine in the past, I cracked it with the engine and decided to rip it out. All is good now, Im happy :)

So what are the plans?

- Ditch the power steering! Why you ask? Well having heaps of issues with it with exploding PS lines and on the track leaks everywhere, the mess and clutter was not worth its benefits. And I will be installing a stock manual steering rack from another AE82 (random pic of stains under wheel well is from the PS, stained my wheel too :( )

- Ditch the AC. Wasnt gassed, therefore it is useless weight and more clutter.

- Place a smallport 4AGE in the gap that is hopefully a bit more healthy and is a whole lot easier to work on... and 17KW more power!!! :D

Hopefully this will leave the car with 103KW and weighing in at about 870KG which is pretty much ideal for this car :) Bring on the sub 1:48's!! (hopefully lol)

PICS:

sam00922.th.jpgsam01022.th.jpgsam0105y.th.jpgsam01062.th.jpgsam00862.th.jpg

sam0095y.th.jpg

Edited by Toyota_kid

how heavy is the AC? Do you use your car as a daily? what happen to summer and raining. AC serve its purpose

ahh dw ben we here in melbourne are used to our hot days, it may be hot, but not as humid :D even i dont use the AC :P

how heavy is the AC? Do you use your car as a daily? what happen to summer and raining. AC serve its purpose

ahh dw ben we here in melbourne are used to our hot days, it may be hot, but not as humid :D even i dont use the AC :P

^ THIS. And anyways, if it gets too hot ill steal my mums car :P

Engine is in.

Tomorrows plans:

- Radiator

- Put P/S back in just so i can drive it around as i need this car back on the road asap

- Begin tedious process of failing with wiring, then get an auto electrician to finish my mess

Friday:

Skids. :P (hopefully)

Edited by Toyota_kid