08' Corolla - 'low oil' warning between services. Worried!

Howdy!

I have a curious issue, wondering if its a common one &/or something to be seriously worried about.

The last two times the car is coming up towards being due for a service, at the 8-9k mark, I get my engine 'low oil' warning when I brake to a stop, check it and yep, not even reading on the dipstick. WTF? :blink:

Happened again this morning and it took near 1.5ltrs of oil to make it read on the dipstick.

Do these ZRE corollas eat oil? Does the genuine Toyota oil magically vanish?

I'm very sure I'm not leaving a single drop of oil on the ground when parked, and dont notice and blue clouds as I accelerate off the lights.

The rolla is only upto 78,000km's, and I and the mrs dont drive it like maniacs as its the daily driver.

Need to see in the intake if you have oil residue there from your Pcv. Excessive blowby. Also check plugs look at the condition if their oily. If one side is clean 1 is oily it's usually valve stem seals. If both rings.

A car that wasn't run in properly could easily go through that much oil by 80-100,000km, but surprised that a new car (which usually has the engine already run-in from factory they say) is doing it.

is you car manual or auto? and is it still under new car warrenty? if it is take it back otherwise it will be costly

take it to a dealer and there is a re-flash for it,

toyota says that the problem is caused by the low friction piston rings.

Edited by Adrian Chippendale

This happened to me once. Since then i check every couple of weeks and top up when necessary. Owners maual says its normal for the engine to use up to 1 litre of oil per 1 thousand kms. Toyo confirmed it aswell.

Are you flippin serious??? I might have to have a read of it :)

Ok... well with that helpful information I am now less worried, but ****** that does seem excessive even if its all normal.

This happened to me once. Since then i check every couple of weeks and top up when necessary. Owners maual says its normal for the engine to use up to 1 litre of oil per 1 thousand kms. Toyo confirmed it aswell.

Please provide the page number this is on.

If everything is as you say they are, take it to Toyota asap. I've never come across this problem before but i'd be interested to see what Toyota say. Might ask on my 90k service.

I dont know why people think taking to Toyota is such a bad thing, I've had nothing but great driving times and my '09 rolla has always been serviced at Toyota. Maybe bad experiences?

In regards to my car chewing oil, never happened. Even my 12yr Gen 3 didn't eat to much....and that was an old mole of a car.

Cant provide page number as my manual was destroyed but it was near oil section. Why would i make it up? Also pete newer engines burn through more oil than there older siblings using ure camry as an example is moot in this situation. Just sayin

Do you drive it like you stole it ?

not really... but its the daily driver. M

orning Commute is a pretty cruisy 45minute drive with little start/stop action. Drive home is a different story - hour and bit of start/stop, heavy (for adelaide) congestion around the edge of the city.

Also pulling up south road or cement hill (brighton road), and the odd nob accel. off the line.

The commodore sits in the driveway all week as its alot thristier on petrol and also has a few little issues needing to be resolved... so the corolla gets used alot. I think we've put on 30k in 12 months - very rough guestimate as I cant remember when I bought it. Prob similar time to myself joining this lovely place.

up till now, Toyota. But as we have a family mechanic (works for a leading Holden dealership) who works for peanuts on weekendds, he'll be taking over duties as he has already done for our commonwhore dog kennel.

And grade of oil no idea - they fail to print that on the windscreen label :clap:

sorry to sound like an idiot A.rice, but how do you see 78,000km as a "NEW" engine.

Next step, if you like a little DIY, degrease the engine / engine bay and look for leaks.

I replaced the oil and oil filter on my car about 4months ago with 10w40 repsol oil.

I've topped up 200ml within that time ;)

The dealer screwed me over so I'm not going back there but they were using 10w40 Castrol Magnatec.

Apparently from what Toyota says they were ripped off from the Genuine flat fee servicing they now are using Toyota Genuine 10w40 made by "toyota"