Door pocket illumination

Audio115

hey guys, i got a little bored today so i decided to put the green cathodes i had lighting up my footwells to better use in my door pockets rigged to come on when the door opens :D

im hoping nobody else has something like this yet, i haven't seen it done on any Aurions yet...

if you guys are interested ill place a tutorial up :ph34r:

imagejrxo.jpg

imagerhk.jpg

imageuki.jpg

imagexu.jpg

imagedalw.jpg

imagezjwl.jpg

Edited by Audio115

great idea, not my preference on colour, but hey.....each to there own.

one question, how are the tubes / lights protected from stuff you might put in the map pockets? All that great work only to get broken by someone with no clue they are there, that would make me upset to say the least.

/my 2 cents

great idea, not my preference on colour, but hey.....each to there own.

one question, how are the tubes / lights protected from stuff you might put in the map pockets? All that great work only to get broken by someone with no clue they are there, that would make me upset to say the least.

/my 2 cents

how about some clear pvc pipe cut in half ..? (with the aid of mspaint cuz im bored at work <_< )

clearpipe.jpg

pvccase.jpg

Nice.

I used self adhesive LED strip lights for mine.

Sticky backed, so they can be mounted on the side of the map pocket to clear any "things" that people put in there.

Low power consumption, like that's an issue.

I have blue in the footwells, door pockets and boot.

Chicken: the lights would be dimmable if I added and inline adjustable dimmer but each door would have be done seperately as they piggy back off the puddle lamps, alternatively as a permanent solution I could extend the wire from the transformer to the cathode, but I like them bright as they aren't on when i drive.

Nothing really protects them as I don't put anything inside the pockets, but they will be replaced by surface mounted LEDs when they turn up which will also be located in the knee high pockets too :D

Yeah the colour isn't my favourite either, I'm going for blue and then I'm getting UV down lights for under my bonnet and then I'm going to put green uv cable sleeving on all the hoses and wires in my engine bay

• 1 month later...

Nice.

Sticky backed, so they can be mounted on the side of the map pocket to clear any "things" that people put in there.

With the LED stips, which side of the door pocket did you mount them on, the side closest to the seat or on the door side?

Chicken: the lights would be dimmable if I added and inline adjustable dimmer but each door would have be done seperately as they piggy back off the puddle lamps, alternatively as a permanent solution I could extend the wire from the transformer to the cathode, but I like them bright as they aren't on when i drive.

Nothing really protects them as I don't put anything inside the pockets, but they will be replaced by surface mounted LEDs when they turn up which will also be located in the knee high pockets too biggrin.gif

Yeah the colour isn't my favourite either, I'm going for blue and then I'm getting UV down lights for under my bonnet and then I'm going to put green uv cable sleeving on all the hoses and wires in my engine bay

How did the cathodes perform as footwell lights particularly when they fade in or out with the interior light or did they just go out or come on immediately?

Nice.

With the LED stips, which side of the door pocket did you mount them on, the side closest to the seat or on the door side?

I would mount closest to the seat facing the light into the door, so as to reflect on the "backing" to shine back into the car... bit like a mirror :)

Nothing really protects them as I don't put anything inside the pockets, but they will be replaced by surface mounted LEDs when they turn up which will also be located in the knee high pockets too biggrin.gif

How did the cathodes perform as footwell lights particularly when they fade in or out with the interior light or did they just go out or come on immediately?

Ive seen cathode footwell lights, looks good but the LED Strips are awesome as they stick to nearly any surface and the aurion has a flat spot under the dash that is just perfect, unlike the cathodes that are bulky and just hang there.

Examples of LED Strip in my car.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/uploads/gallery/album_1074/gallery_21214_1074_1229379.jpg

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/uploads/gallery/album_1074/gallery_21214_1074_1606923.jpg

Nice job!

Correct me if i'm wrong? i'm looking at a box of these things from my old pc modding days, and arn't these already protected inside a clear perspex tube when you buy this type?

The cathode is put into a tube then sealed @ the ends with a massive plex block, this used to have a token peice of velcro.

Anways good goob :)

I went with the LED strips, thanks again Metal. They turned out pretty good with the footwell lights done, good thing I like the colour blue. Mixed it up a bit with the shifter's slot, the gear letters & the cig light.

post-27452-0-29904300-1329936533_thumb.j

post-27452-0-92290100-1329936561_thumb.j

post-27452-0-58236800-1329936593_thumb.j

post-27452-0-82456000-1329936648_thumb.j

post-27452-0-56595500-1329936657_thumb.j

post-27452-0-85814500-1329936662_thumb.j

post-27452-0-24817000-1329936668_thumb.j

post-27452-0-98432000-1329936672_thumb.j

post-27452-0-29140000-1329936720_thumb.j

post-27452-0-29355200-1329936749_thumb.j

post-27452-0-70632800-1329936862_thumb.j

post-27452-0-37158500-1329936938_thumb.j

I'm going to use the CCFL's I bought for the door pockets in the boot, then going all LED on the interior lights (dome, map & vanity). Want to do the door courtesy/step lights in red leds but the T10 wedge bulb sits in the middle of the diffused cover and all the LEDs I have tried only light up 1/2 the lens, Leds don't shine below the wedge base. I'm looking at making custom festoon bulb holders that sit in there and I can get the LED festoons in red, that should shine brightly out the whole diffuser.

• 2 weeks later...

Loving the blue!!!!!! Looks dope! I've currently got no footwell lighting, and I did blue in the puddles and purple in the rear door pockets, but all the flowlighting cathodes are going to whoever wants them (: all to be replaced with a full 2 million colour led system (;