ZZE123R Clutch Install

Hey Guys,

Need to replace the clutch in my Rolla. Have heard that its a complete and utter headf**k.

What I've been told is, that essentially you have to remove the whole K-frame to do this.

Anyone on here replace their own clutch and can give me some of their wisdom?

Anyone had a mechanic do it and has a ball park labour figure?

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers in advance

I asked the mechanic when I picked up my car a few weeks ago about the cost of labour to change a new clutch, and he quoted me about $350. I obviously walked off :(

350? That's cheap

And no you dont have to remove the frame and no it's not a headache it's easy, gearbox out maybe 2 hours... Jack and stands....

Driveshafts out, wiring, shift linkages, mounts and it's out

I use a block of wood and support the motor under the frame cause u will only be having 1 mount supporting the motor.

Edited by 123R-Prozak

As prozak has just quoted around the 2 hours mark to remove the necessary parts , fit the new clutch and re-assemble , $350 is a very very good price, id jump at that personally

350? That's cheap

really? it sounds a bit steep for labour only :/

I charge at my work 110/hr & mate I can tell ya it won't be a 2hr job for customers. When I did my gearbox rebuild, I started 8am, by 9:50am smoko time it was on my bench with a bearing puller on it pulling the 6th gear off..

Off, new clutch, on, I'd price the customer 5 hours. Just incase I run into trouble like snapped bolt or something so if I go under time I obviously charge less cause we stamp on & off jobs so customers and warranty see the labour, not a bullshiet time.

350? Jump on it.

I'd charge that in my backyard private job driveway warranty.

Cheers for all the feedback.

I bought the car 12,000kms ago and the clutch was sticky and now it has started to slip (probably compounded from the occasional spirited drive) Standard clutch has done 90,000.

I'm looking to use it as my modern regularity car this year, I don't think the clutch would hold up too long with some track work. So I'm upgrading

agreed, or if there is nothing wrong with it, changing the clutch is free becuz u dont have to change it ;)

I wouldn't change the clutch for the hell of it.

I've done about 10 gearbox changes in my mates track car and I still hate doing it. I'm not just gonna pull mine out for fun.

agreed, or if there is nothing wrong with it, changing the clutch is free becuz u dont have to change it ;)

I've done about 10 gearbox changes in my mates track car and I still hate doing it. I'm not just gonna pull mine out for fun.

He said slipping so there is a reason, don't be a tight ***** and pay the 350 or do it yourself. Dnt forget oil and clutch parts, and u shouldn't get done clutch fluid cause you don't have to take off the slave cyl.

He said slipping so there is a reason, don't be a tight ***** and pay the 350 or do it yourself. Dnt forget oil and clutch parts, and u shouldn't get done clutch fluid cause you don't have to take off the slave cyl.

I don't even know who you're talkin to now

Have fun. The clock is ticking you have 2 hrs to remove lol

I'm doing it on Saturday so I'll let you know how long it takes. Hoping for 3 hours out, clean up and back in

350? That's cheap

really? it sounds a bit steep for labour only :/

I'm guessing the place he got the quote from has never done a clutch swap on a sportivo. There is a generic guide that I have seen mechanics use to quote jobs and in it for the sportivo it states that the clutch swap is a 4-6 hr job. As stated for someone that has done it before or knows their way around a stivo u can half it as stated by others here. So if this fella has quoted 350 either expect the price to go up after he starts or u r getting a good deal.

• 4 months later...

I'm going to bump this topic to re-check the current pricing on clutch installs :/ cos what i have recently been quoted is FAR above the $350 that the OP got quoted. And its still 2012 right? :blink:

I'm located in perth, car is a 2004 corolla sportivo, and i'm chasing an Exedy HD clutch. I've been quoted ~$1.4k for supply and fit, including fluids etc. This also includes machining of the flywheel.

What's everyone's take on this?

Cheers

Alf

P.S clutch is an Exedy 7334HD.

Edited by ImPulse

I'm going to bump this topic to re-check the current pricing on clutch installs :/ cos what i have recently been quoted is FAR above the $350 that the OP got quoted. And its still 2012 right? :blink:

I'm located in perth, car is a 2004 corolla sportivo, and i'm chasing an Exedy HD clutch. I've been quoted ~$1.4k for supply and fit, including fluids etc. This also includes machining of the flywheel.

What's everyone's take on this?

Cheers

Alf

P.S clutch is an Exedy 7334HD.

Firstly I might be moving to Perth! Can I pm you?

Secondly yeh man bit pricey.

Clutch kit is about 350, machine flywheel is 70

Oils 80? That's 500, 900 labour is too expensive

It takes about 1.5-2 hrs removal and same back in! So labour should be about depending what they charge per hr..

Hope this helps

PM away man, i was kinda hoping you'd be the one to answer this question. Might have to shop around then :/ Thing is i'm a bit cautious about who i'd trust to leave my car with...

Firstly I might be moving to Perth! Can I pm you?

Secondly yeh man bit pricey.

Clutch kit is about 350, machine flywheel is 70

Oils 80? That's 500, 900 labour is too expensive

It takes about 1.5-2 hrs removal and same back in! So labour should be about depending what they charge per hr..

Hope this helps