17" tyre advice?

negatron

Hey all,

I've just got my new 17"s and they've got a set of 205/40/17 Falkens on them with about 10000kms left on them, but the load rating is 80 :(

so i'm going to need new tyres that go up to 84 load rating.

and cheap is good! I'm quoted 120 each for Nankings from Donellens and they'll give me like 50 each for my near new 175/70/14 dunlops (done only 1000 kms).

But I think a speed camera got me last night so I'm strapped for cash.

melbourne ppl, suggestions for cheap tyres?

When it comes to tyres I really would save a bit more and go for something better than Nankang tyres.

Owners have stated that they wear quite quickly and also delaminate prematurely.

You may save on your initial purchase a get a set of 4 for $480.00, however may end up only getting 15,000 km's from them. Then you would be up for another set.

Or you can spend $1,000 on a set of better quality tyres which will last you 30,000km's or more.

My Falkens which were approx $1,000 when I purchased them nearly 3 years ago have done 26000 km's (I don't shy away from twisties) but still have a good amount of tread left. I'm estimating they should get me close to 40,000 km's which isn't bad for a W rated tyre.

So IMHO Tyres are one of those things you can't be cheap with. Spend a bit more and your car will stop, corner and ride better as well as get more km's from a set.

Yeah dun go for Nankang.. ring around the tire places get quotes...

www.yellowpages.com.au

Ask about Nankang tires they will tell u how shocking they are.. i've experienced this bc i was about to purchase Nankangs.

Mate has it on his rex and they still new but he says he is still slipping in the wet and has lost alot of traction.

They say Nankang tyres arent rotatable, which means u'll have to get new tyres again after 10,000-20,000ks

Better off putting out about another 50-100 on top to get other top brands.. shop around good luck!! ;)

Yeah man, I've gone the chromies!

Now i'm the proud owner of the bling bling Hilux corolla! (can't afford to get it lowered yet :( )

Anyhow, what do we think of the Hankook K104? and has anyone heard of uniroyal RTT?

When it comes to tyres I really would save a bit more and go for something better than Nankang tyres.

Owners have stated that they wear quite quickly and also delaminate prematurely.

You may save on your initial purchase a get a set of 4 for $480.00, however may end up only getting 15,000 km's from them.  Then you would be up for another set.

Or you can spend $1,000 on a set of better quality tyres which will last you 30,000km's or more.

My Falkens which were approx $1,000 when I purchased them nearly 3 years ago have done 26000 km's (I don't shy away from twisties) but still have a good amount of tread left.  I'm estimating they should get me close to 40,000 km's which isn't bad for a W rated tyre.

So IMHO Tyres are one of those things you can't be cheap with.  Spend a bit more and your car will stop, corner and ride better as well as get more km's from a set.

Listen to this man.