2003 sportivo problem what do you reckon it could be?

tiet

Hey guys,

ok so i drive the 2003 corolla sportivo, these are the issues the ABS Light and Handbrake light stay lit even with the handbrake down while moving, im getting a really loud clicking/clonging sound from the rear left wheel, i did a search and i found one post where people said with the ABS light my brakes need to be machined but because of the extra problems with the handbrake light and the sounds im going to asume its more than that...

any help would be great before i start ripping my car into pieces to check it out,

thanks

Clicking ? Dunno how your pads/rotors will cause the light to go on.. I'd take the wheel off, caliper and rotor and inspect everything at that wheel your getting a noise.. May be a bearing?

Q. What does the sensors get their reading off ?

could be the handbrake cable , stretched and is partially engaging the rear brake on the wheel where your noise is coming from , id be removing the wheel and seeing whats going on , if that fails go and have the ECU read for error codes.

alright we took everything apart couldnt see no problems with the handbrake cable, as far as we can see the hud seems to be damaged theres alot of movements that it shouldnt be doing lol so giong to replace that first but i dont see how the abs and handbrake light would go on so maybe i need to check for error codes? how would i go about doing that?

Anthony they are called DTC's. Diagnostic trouble codes. I've got the hand held computer at work but sounds to me your bearing has the movement and without looking at mind I'm taking a stab in the dark that's what the abs sensor gets it reading from, and that's why your lights are on. The Dtc will prob be rear left wheel speed sensor..

Anthony they are called DTC's. Diagnostic trouble codes. I've got the hand held computer at work but sounds to me your bearing has the movement and without looking at mind I'm taking a stab in the dark that's what the abs sensor gets it reading from, and that's why your lights are on. The Dtc will prob be rear left wheel speed sensor..

lol daniel feels like im reading jibberish lol only word i understood was bearing lol

am friend said his gone to wreckers and said south african hubs are hard to come by and you cant get them brand new? is this true

the guy suggested to convert them to the japanese rear hubs does anyone know any differences? is this a good idea?

Pretty sure you have a to buy the bearing from toyota as nobody else will stock them well didnt when i needed one for a custome!! From memory they arent cheap either like about 350 trade price.. firstly before you buy a bearing make sure the hub isnt damaged or you will need one of them as well.

I just rung up the local parts stores till I found one that had the rear hub. I'm pretty sure that's what were on about here? I think I paid $350 over the counter, no trade price. Just make sure you order the ABS version. Very easy replacement, about 10 bolts/nuts in total.

As for the front hub, the bearing is pressed in and can be replaced by a competant mechanic; but there might be a delay over night while they wait for the new bearing to arrive, if they don't know it's size until it's removed.

I just rung up the local parts stores till I found one that had the rear hub. I'm pretty sure that's what were on about here? I think I paid $350 over the counter, no trade price. Just make sure you order the ABS version. Very easy replacement, about 10 bolts/nuts in total.

As for the front hub, the bearing is pressed in and can be replaced by a competant mechanic; but there might be a delay over night while they wait for the new bearing to arrive, if they don't know it's size until it's removed.

hmmm which local part store is yours?

for something like that i HIGHLY recommend you getting a brand new bearing and hub from toyota... u dont want a second hand one to sh#t itself when you want to keep your car for a long time. yeah we all know its expensive but one less thing to worry about if you replace it new.

yeah that would be good but what if it is rooted? lol how do we know

• 2 months later...

A quick search of the forums netted me this exact same problem i'm experiencing now. My only difference from tiet is that I haven't got any clicking/knocking sound, and this issue has surfaced out of the blue, I haven't hit anything or run over anything.

Has anyone confirmed a solution?

EDIT: and also, is it safe to drive in the meantime?

ok so i drive the 2003 corolla sportivo, these are the issues the ABS Light and Handbrake light stay lit even with the handbrake down while moving, im getting a really loud clicking/clonging sound from the rear left wheel, i did a search and i found one post where people said with the ABS light my brakes need to be machined but because of the extra problems with the handbrake light and the sounds im going to asume its more than that...

Edited by ImPulse

dude sounds to me you've got a Wheel bearing noise.. you'll need a bearing kit and a hub ( pretty sure hubs only come Gen.)

and that ABS light is being triggered, probs best to carry out a diagnostics scan. where are you from?