New Paint Chipping when snapping back on the repeater lamp

hey guys just wanted to ask. my front guard has got fresh paint on it and yesterday night i installed the repeater lamp on the side back into position. When i took it off, a bit of paint chipped on the side. Is new paint supposed to chip this easily? i dont remember the OEM paint chipping when i removed the repeater lamp.

The paint has been in the oven many times and cured properly. Will this chip spread out to the rest of the guard?

cheers guys

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys just wanted to ask. my front guard has got fresh paint on it and yesterday night i installed the repeater lamp on the side back into position. When i took it off, a bit of paint chipped on the side. Is new paint supposed to chip this easily? i dont remember the OEM paint chipping when i removed the repeater lamp.

The paint has been in the oven many times and cured properly. Will this chip spread out to the rest of the guard?

cheers guys

was it a brand new guard?

That's no good...

Do you have any photos? how bad is the chip?

They are many possibility to why the paint would chip...

Just to ask a few:

• How was the repeater lamp was removed?
  • Paint material used?
  • Workshop's workmanship (preparation to paint)?
  • when you say "fresh paint" how long ago was that?

That's no good...

Do you have any photos? how bad is the chip?

They are many possibility to why the paint would chip...

Just to ask a few:

• How was the repeater lamp was removed?
  • Paint material used?
  • Workshop's workmanship (preparation to paint)?
  • when you say "fresh paint" how long ago was that?

yes it was a brand new guard. he sanded back with 800 and then primed it and painted the colour on. prepsol every step of the way to maintain cleaniness.

paint was the deltron PPG system, preparation i cannot fault. fresh paint would have been say... a few days old. and before you ask again, i was baked several times before it went out of the oven. leaving it to cure completely for 1 month wouldnt be good for him as he got other cars he has to do.

i actually put the repeater lamp on, it didnt seem to clip on properly and i took it out and the paint chipped despite me being very very careful about it.

i would think everyone would know what i chip is so i didnt take a photo of it.

and now i hav another problem. the curve where the 1/4 panel goes into the fuel cap chipped as well. well i cannot tell whether its hair that got caught in the clear coat or whether it is a chip. but for now just for temp as i need the car, he squeezed in supa glue to temp seal the area so no rust can form. when i give it in when i'm ready, he will sand it all the way back to bare metal and do it again. sigh... how the hell can that have happened? the 1/4 panel was brand new as well. i'm SURE he prepared it properly unless one of u gurus have another way to prepare panels for paint?

thats werid, never had that problem at my work before. but if his going to sand it back to bare metal and re-do everything make sure he puts etch primer down first then 2k primer after.

by the way after he sand it back with 800 and put primer did he rub it back or was it a wet on wet system?

I use Deltron PPG system at my shop and don't seem to have this problem...

Are they using all PPG materials (primer, thinners, hardener, etc). I know some shops mix and match their materials, it can create problems.

But, my guess... painter's issues :D