HELP! 3rd gear crunching!!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that would be my friend, that ever since factoty, that car hasnt seen the light of new gearbox oil? i did drain my mates 150,000km factory toyota gearbox oil and found only 1L was in there. very scary and very runny almost the consistency of water... and black i should also add. after the change, tremendous difference to shifting. looked like all the lubricating properties of what was left of the oil was gone.

im guessing your car has been driven at least 100,000 kms?

It was very runny and it was very black with a hint of silver??? Not too sure what that was, but I've changed it and shifting is better :) and yes it's sitting on 117 at the moment, so Im also guessing its never been changed

No no they weren't shavings, it looked like when you mix black with silver to get metallic black??? It wasnt very silvery but I was just curious when I saw it in the catch pan. I've only ever grinded when I get lazy or trying to shift in lift, apart from that I'm ok :)

Yeh you will get that silver glitter, it's just wear, gears spinning at 8,000rpm together will do that.. Long as its not too excessive and big chunks of metal

At over 100k your oil will never be 'clean' and free of 'wear'

You've gone through 2 boxes!?? Woah haha I'm guessing you drive hard? Did you rebut your boxes or replace them?

yeah this issue is a bit of conundrum ..... i never had this issue on my 1st box but i have it occurring on my 2nd box. We had to re-build my 2nd box since i wanted to put my LSD and celica 6th into it and after a short period of time of having it on the road it developed this exact same problem and ONLY when cold ...... i had the car like this for 6mths before i got sick of it and we pulled it all apart to throw in the Jubu ge****t and looking at the gears and syncro's there was nothing wrong ...... no marks of abnormal wear nothing ....... so at the same time as doing this 3rd re-build i threw in a new set of selector cables because my old set were hammered from the way they ran around the turbo piping ...... anyway the new setup also does it but it is not as noticable as the stock gears which might be because the teeth of the jubu gears are just monsters compared to the stock gears ...... but yeah it has me stumped ..... also it doesnt happen all the time e.g. for the last week its only happened on 2 or 3 occasions that you can feel a click/grind as its going into 3rd and other than that nothing ... smooth shifting from cold to warm on about 7 of the times i had to cold start the car ..... i run royal purple in the box so i dont think its the oil but yeah very weird and very bizar ...... i couldnt be bother pulling the box apart again so am gonna live with it since now it comes and goes but pretty much for first 10-15 mins of driving shifting into 3rd at 4000rpms is a bit hap hazard .... but only when cold & only sometimes ...... weird .....

Without hijacking this thread the other interesting thing thats just developed is every 2nd or 3rd press of the clutch pedal there is a high pitched "ting" & u feel a little notch in the pedal feel ...... as if i need to WD40 something .... weird .....

yeah this issue is a bit of conundrum ..... i never had this issue on my 1st box but i have it occurring on my 2nd box. We had to re-build my 2nd box since i wanted to put my LSD and celica 6th into it and after a short period of time of having it on the road it developed this exact same problem and ONLY when cold ...... i had the car like this for 6mths before i got sick of it and we pulled it all apart to throw in the Jubu ge****t and looking at the gears and syncro's there was nothing wrong ...... no marks of abnormal wear nothing ....... so at the same time as doing this 3rd re-build i threw in a new set of selector cables because my old set were hammered from the way they ran around the turbo piping ...... anyway the new setup also does it but it is not as noticable as the stock gears which might be because the teeth of the jubu gears are just monsters compared to the stock gears ...... but yeah it has me stumped ..... also it doesnt happen all the time e.g. for the last week its only happened on 2 or 3 occasions that you can feel a click/grind as its going into 3rd and other than that nothing ... smooth shifting from cold to warm on about 7 of the times i had to cold start the car ..... i run royal purple in the box so i dont think its the oil but yeah very weird and very bizar ...... i couldnt be bother pulling the box apart again so am gonna live with it since now it comes and goes but pretty much for first 10-15 mins of driving shifting into 3rd at 4000rpms is a bit hap hazard .... but only when cold & only sometimes ...... weird .....

Without hijacking this thread the other interesting thing thats just developed is every 2nd or 3rd press of the clutch pedal there is a high pitched "ting" & u feel a little notch in the pedal feel ...... as if i need to WD40 something .... weird .....

everything you just said is exactly the same as me, apart from pulling it apart and the LSD and all haha with the clutch pedal mine used to squeak, so i just used a bit of WD40, it fixed it straight away but im also getting the squeak coming from in the engine bay? what part is squeaking anybody? also is changing the selector cables a big job?

If u hear a squeak at idle ? Foot off the clutch?

Go into your engine bay and use your hand and light put pressure on the clutch fork and see if the squeak goes away.. I had this, my balljoint the clutch fork pivots on wasn't lubed..

Just a suggestion

Also yeh sometimes 3rds notchy maybe oneday I might try new cables

Also nah not hard few split pins and stuff

that squeak when I depress or let go of the clutch is really annoying. I lubed the spring inside the cabin with WD40 but it does come back after 1 week. anyone know a permanent fix for it?

that squeak when I depress or let go of the clutch is really annoying. I lubed the spring inside the cabin with WD40 but it does come back after 1 week. anyone know a permanent fix for it?

dont quote me, but from memory im sure its got something to do with the linkages. I had this issue, and then when i took my car for a service at toyota they told me it ended up being something to do with the linkages being loose, or something along those lines.

hmmm ok ill have to take a look at all these options

As an update the car cold driving last night going home from work and this morning coming in to work was smooth sailing ..... no issues, clicks, grinds what so ever ...... very very very bizar ..... seems to have a mind of its own so no idea ..... due to this inconsistency you just can tell what going on.

As an update the car cold driving last night going home from work and this morning coming in to work was smooth sailing ..... no issues, clicks, grinds what so ever ...... very very very bizar ..... seems to have a mind of its own so no idea ..... due to this inconsistency you just can tell what going on.

What's linkages worth now days ? Same deal with me sometimes Notchy sometimes very smooth..

since changing the gearbox oil and putting nulon g70 additive, ive noticed that sometimes when the car is cold it slots into 3rd like a breeze, it is true that it has a mind of its own!, is the celica gearbox any better or is it the same gearbox?