Car not cranking!!!

basdg

It's hit winter and my hilux that I purchased few weeks ago is now struggling to crank in the morning. It's a new battery and I've checked the voltage and all seems to be fine. I suppose the next thing is alternator (what's the best way to test)??? However I have suspicion that I may have a power drain, as I checked the amps on the negative connector and it was hovering from .11 to .83!!!! I started checking the fuses and noticed that when I removed the STA fuse the amps dropped, I've searched on google what the STA fuse does however didn't have much luck, I think it might have something to do with starter motor?

I'd like any feedback regarding best ways to to test vehicle to determine the cause of the problem.

Has anyone ever dealt with a power drain out there???

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Cold weather snaps kill weak batteries. Bad/dirty connections kill starting. Clean sulphates with warm water and baking soda, toothbrush the hard stuff. Wire brush cleaners are good for removing oxides. Gloplugs normally draw abt 20A each, Diesels all need BIG batteries, at LEAST 650CCA. They NEED big, thick, clean terminals with plently of metal to carry the current-not the cheap wrap around sheetmetal crud that makers now use. The terminals need to be firm so they don't move on the post, and NO more. Brass and Lead lugs are quite good, and whilst the conversion is $$$ if you buy new cables, it's worthwhile. Belt any idiot whom overtightens your new terminals. All they do it stretch them into early replacement. Quick detach types are useful. [NB their cable post bolts are different sizes, + & -.] You need big clean contact areas, with thick metal on them to carry the many 100's.of Amps. A good diesel battery will crank for at least 1 min total, but watch you don't cook the starter.

Expect to replace starter and alt brushes abt 250,000km, often earlier if petrol. Expect to replace brake and clutch cylinders (all) every 14 years unless re-sleeved with stainless steel. They corrode.

vehicle security draws minimal current, as do stereos, clocks etc. 1A isn't a lot, but it's enogh to kill your starting after a few days without a run. I'd say something is wrong for that much continuous drain. Its 8W-12W, make sure its not the cabin light, it will be hard to detect the heat if it's over an area, but feel away when all else is cold-it might be easily found. Sparkys tend not to give free info, they need to bill you for it.

STA fuse is alternator, regulator feed AFAIR. I suspect you have a bad regulator or rectifier in your alternator. NOT cheap replacement. Recommend professional testing, get several quotes. Once you know what needs replacing DIY!!!!!! Parts are avail online, and they aren't difficult to service. You might need help undoing the connectors.....

Edited by Manxman