Injector Leaks and engine siezure.

gtr161

Hi All,

I'm now in the market for a second hand/new Hilux, turbo diesel, and have done extensive research over the whole range of commercial vehicles available. The Toyota (Hilux/Prado/Cruisers) certainly shine above the others in most areas, however I have heard and read about leaking injectors (I mean leaking internally) into the engine oil, forming crystalline structures over the oil pick-up over time. The net result can be a seized engine! Obviously this is not a desirable situation, so, my question is: Is this a real issue or a web based beat up? If it is real, then was the issue rectified in later models? I have read that Toyota have issued a recall for this issue in NZ and the UK, but not Aust.

Can someone add some clarification to this?

I have heard of expensive bills to fix this, replacing injectors and seal etc... $3K+

My preference is to pick up a 2010model diesel Hilux however if this issue persists, then a 2011 might be on the cards.

Great forum by the way.. lots of helpful stuff here.

Cheers,

Tom

Hey Man,

A 2010 Hilux wont give you any problems. The main cars suffering from injector failure are the 05-07 Hilux/Prado's. The main reason for the premature failure is dirty fuel which blocks injectors and causes the tips of them to be melted some what which causes them to not work properly when cold. this gives the car the 'death rattle' which can be bad in the long run if left unattended to.

new filters on 07 + hilux's are better and filter more stuff out. good idea though to change them every 10-20k to ensure your injectors last a life time.

our work hilux's have all just had the injectors replaced (150,000kms on the clock) and it does cost every bit of $2.5-3k $$$$$ when you have 6 of them the boss isn't too happy.

As for the oil build up an seizing - if you service at the regular internals you will have no issues.

in short a 2010 should not give you any problems but ensure you test drive them when they are cold - listen for a overly loud rattle under 25-30% throttle and a lot of black smoke - if you see it walk away or talk them down by $3k.

Thanks T_Money... the engine seizure problem apparently happens over time, despite oil changes. Leaking injector seals allow compresion blowby to mix with the leaked fuel vapour, the net result is crystalline structures forming on the oil pickup, thereby restricting the supply to the engine. It's a slow process that results in expensive rebuilds. What has me absolutely flabbergasted is that Toyota recognise the issue, and have sent out recalls for the UK and NZ (not sure about the USA), but not for Aust. Bit weird to me. What I wasn't sure about is whether Toyota have addressed the issue in later models.

Check this You Tube link..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCifyh9Npf4

I have driven an Amarok and yes, I like the machine. The auto is out in August but it still seems quite an expensive commercial... will wait and see how sharp their pencil is. :g:

Cheers,

Tom

If the Amarok is FWD I won't touch it-ever! I don't like EU dumping surplus stock into our market, and Jerry can get very technical and expensive quite quickly. My car is a long term investment, and the extra $$ have to be justified by something substancial.

Sorry for the late reply.

It is a drum up issue in Australia, as 1 person wrote in to a newspaper and it got published.

I have read that Toyota have issued a recall for this issue

There has been a service campaign in Europe, like the Aurion VVT hose here, but not a safety recall. See here. New Zealand and Australia haven't needed to do this, as it hasn't been an issue. Dealers in both countries have been reminded that the injector seals are not reusable.

The issue can be identified easily when the rocker cover is off (valve clearance check) or through the sump drain plug during services. So stick to the service schedule!

As for an Amarok ... be careful not to stall it (ie it has no torque) lol

Right, so - it IS a bit of a beat up here in AU, regular services and inspections will go a long way.. thanks for the replies, I certainly wont discount the Hilux now. As for the Amarok, not too sure... but leaning toward the Toyota.. cheers T

All of the new gen 4x4's have their own set of issues, for the most part though the Hilux isn't the most fanciest or most well equipped but still built bloody tough and overall very reliable.

• 5 months later...

My Hilux 2005 D4D has done about 150ks and has been a great vehicle..no problems and good fuel economy.

After reading about others and thier problems I have just finished installing the aluminium seals on the injectors and also putting a blanking plate to stop the exhaust bypass to the ERG valve.

My first observation was that the original copper injectors seals were in excellent condition with no leakage. So it seems that the reported problem with leaking may be related to the injector clamps losing tension??

Having installed the new seals and all new gaskets and seals for the tappet cover I went for a test drive. I could feel better engine performance straight away and no death rattle!! To top it off I estmated fuel economy improved by 3 to 5 %.

Having done about 1,000 km I also noticed that the oil is super clean...no diesel particles!!

So, I am starting to wonder whehter the problems with blocked oil intake may also be related to the carbon coming into the engine via the ERG system. My suggestion is that if your D4D is running OK do not bother changing the injector seals, but first blank of the ehxaust bypass and see how it goes. While I am not sure whether there will be long term problems I welcome any feedback on this.

• Like 1