Automatic headlight function doing some odd things

nzzr6

So about the auto headlights, not sure if all models have them but I'm having a bit of trouble with mine. First problem is that even when its dark enough to require headlights they don't switch on, which means I have to turn them on manually. Can that be adjusted? Second issue is that sometimes when the auto function does work, it only switches on the side lights and not the low beam, and cycling from low beam to park lights then back to auto does not do anything. Again requiring me to manually go to low beam...Any ideas why?

Hi mate usually they go on really late just before full darkness, I have noticed mine they go on at about 7:40pm in summer and about 6pm winter times as for the adjusting next time you take it for service they can readjust it on the computer or try resetting your computer by taking off the positive terminal off the battery for half an hour usually they go back to normal factory setting.

I thought they operated purely by light, or the lack of light, received at the sensor??

Having it operate by a time based mechanism would be out of sync most of the time when you consider seasons and daylight saving changes.

Has the OP checked the sensor and it's connections?? Do the reset as mentioned above and see if that helps.

Do you have a dash mat covering the sensor??

Something like that, I'd handball to a Toyota tech or an auto sparky. If the sensor on the dash was dirty or covered, then you'd expect lights on most/all of the time. But since it's struggling to go on at all, then something else is wrong somewhere else.

@TARD yes i found that after I posted the topic, my bad should have searched it. But that still doesn't explain why sometimes only the parkers go on and not the low beams.

I don't have a dashmat, I have cleaned the sensor multiple times but I will take it to Toyota to have it looked at sometime. I don't think the parker light issue is anything to do with the level of darkness as its been pitch black sometimes when I get up at 6am to get to work, and the auto function only turned on the parkers.

I'll try the battery reset and see if that gets anywhere.

cheers

The Parkers come on because the sensor is telling it that it's dark enough to have the Parkers on but not low beams. If you left it on auto it would eventually turn the low beams on.

• Like 1

The Parkers come on because the sensor is telling it that it's dark enough to have the Parkers on but not low beams. If you left it on auto it would eventually turn the low beams on.

Yes that was my first impression, but theres been one time or two where it was definately dark enough for low beams and only the parkers came on

It all comes down to the settings in the ECU, which can be adjusted by Toyota. You already provided your own hints from your original post by saying
a ) In auto, the low beams never come on automatically
b ) In auto, sometimes only the parkers come on when it's dark enough to need the low beams

It sounds to me like the switch point is far too dark in the ECU settings, so when it should be time for low beams the ECU is only thinking it's just dark enough to only need the parkers. As in all your posts when in auto the only results you have seen are either no headlights, or parkers only.

1 things i learnd never use the auto headlight opition everytime i leave it in auto my park and number plate light bulb will blown 100% not a chance they will live longer then 2 days.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah I noticed something funny when I finally double taped the dash mat to the dash to stop it moving around so much to cause the auto head lights to switch on during DAY TIME! On saturday 2nd march during long weekend (Labour Day weekend for those in W.A.), just recently, after cleaning the car inside and out and the dash too, I actually decided to turn the electrics on so i could use the auto headlight to position the mat and double tape it. Once that was done. I went for a drive in late arvo and went into the Graham Farmer fwy tunnel and noticed the headlight didn't come on at all as the tunnel was getting darker further in. It came on just after halfway thru. After driving my drunk darts team mate home cos it was his birthday on a Sunday evening, it was dusk but not yet dark enough. My parkers did come on. I wasn't aware of it until I was behind a car at lights and noticed the low beams weren't on. It came on just 10 mins after the lights!

Hmmm I will bring this up when my car goes in for service on 15th march.