Hello! (And fuel economy help :) )

Cosmo

Hey fellas! Phew, finally found a forum that I belong to... Anyway, I drive a 2002 Toyota Camry Azura. Very nice car, though a few things I can nit pick about. Anyway to the problem. I constantly get around 12.4L/100km on my trip computer and I cannot make it past 500km on one tank. Is this normal? What fuel economy do you guys get?

I service my car regularly (well when it needs to be) and my tyre pressure is at it's recommended setting. Is anything wrong? Thanks!

yeah i use 98ron stuff ;)

doesnt help a whole lot, doesnt matter what brand either, i tried them all :P

my poor fuel consumption is probably cause i drive a bit too aggressively...

oh well, what can you do :lol:

Hahaha...if only 98RON were cheap...so I guess this is the norm then :( I don't drive aggressively though, but I do enjoy giving the odd SS, XR, and ricer a run for his money at the lights :D

Just a note, tyre pressure does help a LOT. It increased my range a whole lotta kays.

Edited by Cosmo

Hi Cosmo. I also have the V6 Azura, and average about 10.9L/100km - and that's Sydney driving. I easily get over 600km on a tank-full.

I use 98 RON fuel, and have my tires inflated to 34-35 psi.

Every 5000km or so, I also give my injectors a bit of a clean using the Toyota dealers' ijector cleaner ("Jetstream").

I get about 10l /100k in my 2.4, the tyres are at 38psi. :huh:

My mate gets around 8.5 around town being gentle. :o

With the a Sportivo muffler, K&N air filter, some Fitch added (I know you don’t agree with them) and finally a custom tune Haltech tune hopefully on Monday I hope for closer to 8. :unsure:

Will let you know

Are there a lot of things that Toyota Service don't actually do for you? Like things to keep it in PEAK condition?

And Bigdennis, how do you clean the injectors? Is there a lot of work to be done?

Ummm - it's not a "true" injector clean, that is, injectors aren't taken out and cleaned ultrasonically.

I just use Toyota's Jetstream Injector Cleaner, available from any Toyota dealer for about $10.

Ummm - it's not a "true" injector clean, that is, injectors aren't taken out and cleaned ultrasonically.

I just use Toyota's Jetstream Injector Cleaner, available from any Toyota dealer for about $10.

$10??? :o thats cheap. i just bought 1 chrome Nut from toyota for $9 (I broke it :lol: ).

yeah so how do u use it???

Oh Yeah...finally i installed 2 CCF WHITE Light under the dash today :)

2062019_71_full.jpg

does anyone know if it's bad changing between 98RON and 91RON occasionally?

well the Camry is made for using 91RON+, so it shouldnt be any problem ;)

i have notice if i change between RON ratings, either up or down.

my car will have a stuttery start....but that goes away after i use a single RON for a while :lol:

its probably the computer having to adjust settings etc or something like that :rolleyes:

From advice I have heard (and I maybe wrong). Change the oil fairly often. Use a good oil and stick to the same brand through the engines life (the reason is some oils trap certain particles and others don't so if you change oils you can wear the engine differently- like I say its what I have heard and have worked in the a couple of oil labs like Wearcheck and ALMC. :)

Changing the oil gets rid of all the crap so even if the oil is a top of the range oil its still better to flush it often not the 20,000km thing as some synthetics state.

Wheel alignments and balances may not be down at the Toyota services unless asked. Tyere pressures check them and run them slightly higher than factory. I run mine at 38 PSI. B)

The best thing I found was when my 1990 Camry had 220,000 kms on was an auto transmission flush. Even at 285,000kms it changed gears like new. :P

Otherwise if you want a better running car you might have to get a piggy back chip to ensure the fuel/air ratio is optimized for your particular engine. Each engine is slightly different but the computers all have the same program. They compensate to an extent.

This can be seen with the corollas on dyno days they have different power outputs for the same type of engine with the same fuel.

Hope that all helps and is kind of right :unsure:

This can be seen with the corollas on dyno days they have different power outputs for the same type of engine with the same fuel.

I get about 10l /100k in my 2.4, the tyres are at 38psi.  :huh:

My mate gets around 8.5 around town being gentle.  :o

With the a Sportivo muffler, K&N air filter, some Fitch added (I know you don’t agree with them) and finally a custom tune Haltech tune hopefully on Monday I hope for closer to 8. :unsure:

Will let you know

hi perthcamry

i've got a 2.4 (2005) as well and right now i'm only getting 13.5 / 100

i know for sure that it's way off (i don't drive aggresively), know what i mean?

but at the same time, i'm not sure what to do about it........any suggestions?

and when you say "tyres at 38psi", does that mean front and rear?

i'm 100% sure the recommended pressure is 36psi front and 32psi rear (label says so)

i would REALLY LOVE to get 10 / 100 even 11 :D

thanks

Wow, 13.5/100? Do you drive at high speeds all day? Not necessarily hard acceleration, but the higher speeds make an SS/XR8 more fuel efficient than a 2.4L Camry  :(

hi cosmo

that means my camry sportivo is using 13.5 liters of petrol per 100 kilometres of distance traveled, or in other words i'm only getting about 7.5 kilometres per liter.

the specs (attached) says i'm suppose to using only 9.8 liters per 100 kilometres!!!!!

so my camry sportivo is using 3.7 liters more petrol per 100 kilometres!!!!!!!!

yikes!! help!!! :)

Ummm fuel economy is a tricky beast. Some cars with the same specs run quite differently. There are slight manufacturing differences. I find BP 91 works well for me. ;)

Getting a chip to optimise your engines fuel curve/power is the best. Also interesting to note that I think our car has the same engine as the Tarago and the RAV 4. in those guises they have slightly different power and torque. Could be different computer program could be exhaust. But the Australian standards get around 10L per 100k for the Tarago, which weighs 200kg more than a Camry…. :unsure:

Evil as some may think there are some claimed fuel saving devices I am trying one at the moment. :ph34r:

waht type of fuel saving devices u looking at? I hope not the scam stuff on Ebay. there was a post on about those things.. not good..... Dont be fooled my Camry friend :)

But if it's not that.. what is it :P

• 1 year later...
Ummm fuel economy is a tricky beast. Some cars with the same specs run quite differently. There are slight manufacturing differences. I find BP 91 works well for me. ;)

Getting a chip to optimise your engines fuel curve/power is the best. Also interesting to note that I think our car has the same engine as the Tarago and the RAV 4. in those guises they have slightly different power and torque. Could be different computer program could be exhaust. But the Australian standards get around 10L per 100k for the Tarago, which weighs 200kg more than a Camry…. :unsure:

Evil as some may think there are some claimed fuel saving devices I am trying one at the moment. :ph34r:

This may be a bit off topic but where can I get a K&N air filter for an 05 2.4L in Perth?