Flywheel

You don't lose tourqe man. Infact, with lightweight flywheel the respond of the car is far better. Perhaps what your mechanic was referring to, was going upshill. Going uphill with lightweight flywheel causes struggle, but that depends on how light your flywheel is. On a straight, all you get is improvement.

specblack the night you were there and i sold the used flywheel/clutch the guy told me after he installed it "so happy with it because the car is faster and more powerful especially low rpm"

great great

thats all i need to know

because with the low torque we have on our sportivos

losing more is just a pain in the a$$

EDIT:

one more things guys

the mechanic also said that with light weight flywheel + passengers in the car

it'll make your car go slower

i know that with extra load even with stock flywheel

the car doesnt pull as well

you guys with the flywheels notice any diff with passengers in a lighten flywheel compared to stock?

Edited by spec_black

with the lighter flywheel, u go both ways quicker. the revs will rise faster, it will also drop faster.

if u're going up a hill, with the same throttle position as a car with a stock flywheel, your revs are going to drop faster.

if u floor it, your revs will pick up just as fast. most of it is engine response. i found the flywheel to be great. it's one of the best mods to do, coupled with a clutch kit. i never ever found it wanting or ever felt it had a lack of torque.

it's a bit tricky to launch the stivo with the lighter flywheel and the clutch kit. just invest a bit of time to practise. get it right, and u're always at least half a car length ahead of a stock car when the light goes green. however, it doesn't make it any easier to keep the car in lift. so if u have stiff suspension, good tyres and the drivetrain bits, forget about doing the lift shift.

the other tricky thing is when u have to lug the car around the carpark with a/c on. u just need a little bit of dexerity with your left foot so u dun fry the clutch or stall.

it's a good mod.

yeh what everyones saying makes sense, lighter = less inertia = revs drop faster, but lighter = revs climb faster, i've always wondered why the TRD flywheel wasn't the lightest around, i guess thats the "optimal" weight. but it also seems that a better clutch is the perfect partner for the flywheel, to cut back on those revs you'll drop

yeh what everyones saying makes sense, lighter = less inertia = revs drop faster, but lighter = revs climb faster, i've always wondered why the TRD flywheel wasn't the lightest around, i guess thats the "optimal" weight. but it also seems that a better clutch is the perfect partner for the flywheel, to cut back on those revs you'll drop

well, since the labour cost is quite significant. u might as well get a better clutch, too. coz with the lighter flywheel, u are going to be slipping the clutch a bit more and the slip rate would be higher.

well, since the labour cost is quite significant. u might as well get a better clutch, too. coz with the lighter flywheel, u are going to be slipping the clutch a bit more and the slip rate would be higher.

you dont have to worry about that

clutch on its way

just deciding on flywheel right now

The following are some brands that make lightened flywheels for the 2ZZ :

Fidanza 3.4 kg

TRD 4.4 kg

TOMs 3.8 kg

JUN 4.4 kg

Toda 4.7 kg

C-One 4.5 kg

note the following weights are for the 2ZZ flywheel, the 1ZZ has differnt weights

Edited by wei wei

The following are some brands that make lightened flywheels for the 2ZZ :

Fidanza        3.4 kg

TRD            4.4 kg

TOMs          3.8 kg

JUN              4.4 kg

Toda            4.7 kg

C-One          4.5 kg

note the following weights are for the 2ZZ flywheel,  the 1ZZ has differnt weights

I hear that Fidanza is great for track but it's rtoo light for daily driving. So personally I'll go with either Tom's or TRD.

btw, if anyone here has the part numbers plese PM me and I'll post them up.

What everyone said about the flywheel is pretty much spot on, much better throttle response. Great mod especially when you are considering a new clutch kit. The TOM's flywheel makes the most peculiar mechanical sound at startup, sounds very different to every other flywheel but it works great. Like what Shao and Northy said, I did find that the clutch slips more when trying to take off but you just need to find the right technique to launch and shift. It can still stall on you very easily as eveyone that jumps in my car for the 1st time stalls it, no fail.

Didn't notice anything much different with uphills or with passengers. Just rev the thing if you feel underpowered, that's what the 2zz is made for isn't it :D