Corolla Lost it Power

From October 2005 production, all Corolla variants (Hatch, wagon and sedan) will be receiving a minor technical change.

Technical Specifications

Manual              Automatic

Max. output kW/rpm  93/6000              93/6000

Max. torque Nm/rpm 161/4200           161/4200

Corolla will upgrade from Euro II emissions compliance to Euro IV compliance.

To meet Euro IV compliance an electronically controlled throttle body and exhaust

manifold has been adopted. The main benefit of the electronically controlled throttle body is the ability to provide optimal control of the throttle valve under all operating conditions.

In addition, the catalyst has been connected directly to the exhaust manifold, resulting in faster heating, thus making the system compliant with Euro IV emissions regulations.

All non-ABS vehicles will also adopt new 15-inch front disc brakes.

I'd just like to take this opportunity to apologise to Alphacool if any of my comments suggested that he was speaking untruths ... the changes he mentions just seemed odd to me.

However, I was just Googling again and found this Corolla sedan PDF ... the specs on this sheet confirm everything that Alphacool has been saying, including the power and torque losses.

Looks like Toyota has just given Holden's Viva a free kick ...

Edited by Buddha

I had a drive.. you can really feel the car are actually less power. Many people already complain the car are not powerful enough.. I also think that Corolla is not a very light car (in the same category), so less power are help the drive at all..

I had a drive.. you can really feel the car are actually less power.  Many people already complain the car are not powerful enough.. I also think that Corolla is not a very light car (in the same category), so less power are help the drive at all..

I'd like to see what cars in the Corolla's class are lighter ... from what I can gather, the Pulsar is at the upper reaches of the Corolla's weights (1190-1200kg) ... from there they just go up for the 3, Focus, Astra, Golf, etc, by as much as 200kg or more!

Even little cars like the Peugeot 207, Renault Clio, etc, are approaching Corolla weight, and they have much smaller engines.