Modifications I Really Don't Need

Hi guys,

Really need help for this one...

Leaving the carpark, the car was severely scratched as the driver at the time failed to leave enough room when turning thus scratching the side of the car on the walls. The picture below gives you an idea of what has been damaged - the damage is caused on the other side of the car, so I have modified a current photo with the areas marked red as being damaged.

Scratch.jpg

How much do you think it would cost to fix this up? I'm thinking about $500 - $1000 range.

The driver at the time I hear you ask??? One word...... Mum!!!

Thanks for your help.

rough idea from toyota service/repair perspective...

200 bux for the bumper... yes thats 200 bux for that small scratch

700 bux for the rear quarter panel.... O.O

another 700 bux for the door.....

sending it into toyota and seeing them grin with your money all over it...

"P I S S E D OFF" ( not priceless )

p.s pricing has not included labor fee. usually 65-75 bux an hour depending on the repairer.

Edited by Mello

Yes definately not a cheap repair plus the colour is a metallic (very fine)though it will lead to rear bar sprayed, rear quarter sprayed and probably blended up to the roof and your rear door maybe belend up to ur front door......depending on wat the pannel beater/spray painter is like with their repairs and how badly they need money!!! :P :lol:

Here are the proper images I took in the morning.

Scratch2a.jpg

Scratch1a.jpg

For a patch-up and repaint, I have been quoted around the $700 mark.

For a replace and repaint, I have been quoted at $2500.

All I have visited suggest that I lodge an insurance claim.

I haven't been d@!#ed around, have I?

och I know how you feel

my quote for the damage to my car was 2300$

but lukily enough I have a rating 1 for life with a no claim bonus and can make as many claims as i want within the 12 months.

give your insurance comany a call and see exactly what your policy involves :D

All places I have been to suggest that I put in an insurance claim as the paint required for the job is difficult to mix as it is metallic and pearlescent; costing around $1000 plus having the blend it into the rest of the car.

Furthermore, they have to tear the doors (front and rear) apart - more so for the rear than for the front for painting as well as paint the door frames.

Additionally, the dent on the rear door has deformed the side instrusion bar so this needs to be straightened up. :(

The reason why I now know so much is because they have already done all the investigative work and waiting for me to either lodge a claim or indicate that it will paid for 'out-of-pocket'.

If a claim is lodged, our insurance rating will drop from 1 back to 3 as we just changed insurance companies at the start of the year and need to cop an insurance increase for the next 3 years to get to rating 1 for life.

well... i say just paint over it.. and panel beat as much as you can.. (like door parts). I think a nice paint should cover most of it :) i mean.. unless you REALLy pay attention adn know what your looking for, i dont think the standard person would realise :) yes it's cheap but wil save ya money :)

Think of it like this, lets say you repaired up to scratch.. wat if the next few days someone else rams it again.. wouldnt that suck.. u gotta think about stuff like that.. some careless driver banged their door against my side and now it's got a huge dent.. i was going to get it fixed up.. until 2 weeks or so later someone put an egg into my car and it made more damage but at a different locaqtion... then later on i foud another dent towards the front engine side.. then a few more scratches.. (and i bought my car brand new as well). Im sorta over it hay.. we can always be careful but you can't trust the ppl around ya.. I say go for it if u got nothing else better to do with your money.. but yeah... something u gotta thikn about... :)

all the best though mate...

och I know how you feel

my quote for the damage to my car was 2300$

but lukily enough I have a rating 1 for life with a no claim bonus and can make as many claims as i want within the 12 months.

give your insurance comany a call and see exactly what your policy involves :D

Just a tip for everyone who has "Rating 1 for Life" ... while you keep your rating for life, if you make too many claims, you'll be hit with an increased excess or refused insurance altogether. :(

The other thing to remember is that like your credit rating, your insurance history is on a central database accessible by all insurance companies, so if you are refused by one company, you can't go to another expecting a clean slate! <_<

false advertisement... they are all in it to get your money.

and do u all know what they do with that money?

they go off and invest in property the DODGY pricks.

Well, there's nothing dodgy about insurers investing premiums in property or any other area ... a company would be silly to just leave money sit and not let it work for them.

However, the whole Rating 1 for Life thing encourages thinking like Craig said above, that you can make as many claims as you want, but the rating is just one part of your insurance, there are many other factors that come into play.

If you're lucky enough to still have a nil excess on your policy, then keep your nose clean ... these days, there's a 99% chance that if you have to claim, your next renewal will have an excess attached.