2013 Atara SX progress

hiwtf

Yeah ive seen the kits from the states aren't priced too badly, wonder what the install would cost ya here? Also, do ya run factory struts/shocks with bags or does the kit contain that too?

Yeah kits aren't too bad over there. These contain shocks awell as upper struts for the fronts. I think you'll have to use OEM rear struts like with the coilovers. Not sure but i'll ask.
Install should probably be about 300-500 i reckon

hiwtf
how high is your car off the ground (do you have any problems with speed bumps)
i just got coiovers and not sure what height to have it

On stock wheels my car is about 130mm off the ground, but my muffler is about 120mm.

Currently 140mm off ground with my te37s and barely have any problems with speed bumps if I drive at low speed (what you're supposed todo anyway lol)

But with my stock wheels, depending on how big the speed bump, I would have to go over a speed bump on an angle.

Ussually that would eliminate any scraping

You could go even lower than my car and still probably wouldn't have trouble getting over speed bumps if you know how to properly

ok thanks
so the measurement of 130mm is from the front lip to the ground
how about the rear bumper and side skirts are they also 130mm
thanks
I'm thinking about 120mm

did you install the coil overs yourself? if you did was it hard?
thankyou

Sorry that was the measurements from the sideskirts. Fronts and rear i'm not sure but i changed my mufflers so the rears are lower than when i had the stock mufflers.
It's really up to you. I know people who go as low as 9mm-10mm. Some people take pride in their car's scraping over obstacles due to being too low...

I got it installed because I didn't have spring compressors and wasn't sure what todo with the rear installation since you had to use OEM struts

Just an update;

Bought genuine RAYS centrecaps for my wheels. 2 sets of 2. Now just waiting for genuine stickers to come in and re-powdercoating the wheels gloss WHITE (originally wanted gloss graphite grey but thought i'd keep with the white on white)

post-34303-0-85343000-1404485906_thumb.j

post-34303-0-21243800-1404485915_thumb.j

Also... Just purchased airREX air suspension. Originally wanted to go with airtekk since they're pretty cheap but they only have a kit for the Camry SE. Ended up spending alot more than i intended... $4,750. But after hitting the lottery on a shared ticket with co workers, (10k win split between 3) I thought might aswell :)

Edited by hiwtf
  • Like 1

Mannnn i heard about the win for the syndicate at the Altona plant!!! That's sick... and so is airrex - as it should be for that coin. That'll be awesome to have, not sure what you meant about the airtekk for the camry SE... That's our car.

Caps... how much? And the previous post about having to use your own strut for the rear coilovers, is that how it's meant to be? I thought a coilover was a spring and strut in one?

Yeah I know. Wish I was part of that... Oh the SE struts and springs are different to all the other 7th gen models. Our one is made exactly like the Camry LE so that's why when I bought BC coilovers, BC asked me to measure the bolt spacings and bolt sizes cause there are 2 different coilovers for our cars. One is specifically for the SE and the other for the LE, which is technically for ours aswell.

I got the caps for half price at 115$ off a Facebook page that has private sellers selling genuine wheels only.

Yeah for our cars because it's not a McPherson type strut, we have to use our OEM top hat/strut for the rears and can't use the pillow top that ussually comes with the coils

Oh, so you weren't part of that syndicate, your was just some other win... i remember hearin those other guys got a fat payday.

Using the OEM top hat/strut, does that have any negative affect on how they perform?

So if i purchased the BC Coils that are for the LE, i wouldn't have to use the OEM top hat/strut?

Yeah hahaha... they won heaps that's all i know. I won from the last 22million lottery but only won 10k and me and 2 others just split it since we put money together to get the ticket

performance should the same... or atleast not much of a difference from what i've heard

If you purchase coils for the SE then you won't be able to use it unless you can somehow alter it. If you buy the coils for the LE, it will fit with no issues BUT you will have to use OEM top hat/strut.
It's just the way our car was built.
Even with the airREX kit i bought, they said i can't a rear top mount cause our car isn't designed to be able to use it... sadly

Y

Yeah for our cars because it's not a McPherson type strut, we have to use our OEM top hat/strut for the rears and can't use the pillow top that ussually comes with the coils

When you check the Toyota website it lists our cars as having Independant Macpherson struts... is that just the on the fronts?

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's only the fronts. I even asked around to see if I could get a custom rear top but they all said it can't be done because the rear isn't a Macpherson strut

ok so for the rears we need to tell the people installing the suspension to use the stock top hat and strut?

congrats on the airrex kit, it will be sick how much would it cost to install?

Thanks buddy :) I'm thinking of DIY install because all the places that do installs for air suspension are over an hour drive from here

Yeah you'll have to let them know for a more specific quote.

Yep it's due to how the car rrears are designed. The front has a independent macpherson strut, while the back is a dual link.

All coils/air suspension offer rear tops but not for our cars because the rears are dual link struts.

We do however, get the front camber tops

hahaha i can't wait for the airrex to arrive! Most likely will try DIY install... Can't seem to find anywhere close that'll do the install.

Can't help you there with the bonnet bra.

Other news: Wheels are getting repowdercoated Gloss white. Should have it done by wednsday/thursday. RAYS genuine stickers came in on friday and planning to get my roof wrapped matte black in a week or 2 :)

• Like 1

Finally purchased a low profile jack;

post-34303-0-71803100-1405498025_thumb.j

ARCAN low profile hybrid aluminium/steel trolley jack. Got it for $180.
Now i can finally jack my car up without having to drive on planks of wood. Love it :)

• Like 1

the same one? I got mine off ebay. Too lazy to make a membership at costco + travel there.

Bought it this morning and was delivered few hours later