pinging / knocking

i get rapid ticking noise on the right of my engine (passenger side), near that blue plug, just behind the air intake (i assume the airintake is that big tube)

and everynow and then u can hear a sound which sounds like knocking two marbles together.

i am still yet to know if it is normal or not, but from what i gather from everyone, the engine is very noisy and most ppl seem to experience ticking/knocking/clunking noises.

oh and today i scraped my front skirt near the corner on a gutter thing trying to park at night, and popped it loose, and also the fender too. not happy jan. have to get it put back into place, and the corner sprayed. was devistated when it happened, but more so disappointed :(

while on the topic of noises and that..

what i'm absolutely HAMMERING the''Golf Ball".....i get a really high pitched sound...coming from the engine bay....*shrugs* i don't know where...

and it's usually while i'm in lift...

sorted sounds like a miniature 'super charger'......zzzzzZZZZZZZZ

i'm sorted 'sick of the problems'.....soo.....i just ignore it now...and just keep REVVING!!!!

anyone get this sound too???????

-Chris

I get a funny nose when i rev past 7500rpm, sort of like what you guys mentioned but also wonder if it is pinging noise?? It happens most when i rev the engine for the first time of the day especially when the engine's just warmed up. It seems to be on and off and i know the Type-R engines also make a funny sound on very high revs. If any of you played GT3/GT4 on PS2 before, you will notice the Integra Type R making the same sound when you rev it past 8000rpm. Not sure if the Celica makes that noise ;)

How would u know if your engine is pinging or knockingwhen u are driving? are the sounds subtle or obvious? and what sort of sounds? and where does it come from?

It can make a variety of sounds depending on the cause. The last engine I heard detonating was due to overheating, and it sounded like an intermittant pik-pik-pik noise from inside the engine bay (where it's happening funnily enough), which got faster the hotter it got. If your engine is pinging (which really it shouldn't!) then it will be more likely to happen when it's:

a) hot (keep an eye on that temp guage, it shouldn't ever go much above half way on the stivo)

B) under heavy load (eg, going up a big hill)

c) high revving (well, we'll take that as given ;) )

d) running ****ty petrol (I hope not!)

The sounds are pretty obvious, if you turn down your pumping drum and bass. If you think your engine is pinging, whatever you do don't leave it like that!! Detonation in a petrol engine is bad bad bad because it's putting all sorts of stresses on it that it's not designed for.

Cheers,

- Matthew