Refund or Replacement for Kluger

hell

Hi guys,

Hope you are doing well. I bought my Kluger in Dec 2015 and had an issue with the transmission in Feb 2016 where it would not go in the correct gear and was having a grinding noise when I put in reverse. Went back to the dealership and they are trying to fix it. It was meant to be fixed in 2 weeks. They thought it was the transmission valve, they changed the transmission valve body and it still did not work. Now they are changing the transaxle which will take another 4 weeks. Has anyone had a similar issue on a brand new car? Going by the ACCC website , I should be entitled to ask for a refund or replacement.

Thanks

Like other replies...nothing new too add but my 20 cent's worth of advice... I would imagine they will do repairs only..to get them to replace the vehicle will be a VERY long tedious process..probably requiring you to get legal assistance..

Like most dealings with major firms, allow them the opportunity to attempt repairs required..at least it shows your flexible enough to allow that, if then not good get a solicitor

Good Luck Mate

KAA

Thanks guys, I`ll give it a go and wait for the first repair. Is it normal that the Dealership or even Toyota not to provide you with a report of what is wrong with the car or what repair is being done? 

• 2 weeks later...

spoken to the technicians from toyota the yesterday when I had my car service and few of them just agreed that previous Kluger (pre-2014) which was made in Jap has far much superior quality of workmanship compare to US made. There are few glitches (they said not allow to say what exactly the problems were) has been found so far from the latest model and known to be hassles internally.

Even the guys there do not recommend me to trade mine old model to the latest model.

Hi Hell

Suggest you diarise everything and keep all documentation. Keep notes of any phone calls and always follow up with an email.

In 2011, my new Kluger delivered by Fergusons Toyota Hurstville was faulty, in my opinion a LEMON.

I looked into refunds/replacements and back then there was not much chance, as we did not have an effective motor vehicle LEMON policy.

Not sure if there has been any changes to the refund policy, could be worth looking into.

Good luck.

Hi Jimmy,

Yes when I test drove the new kluger I felt I liked the previous kluger better in terms of the drive. You would think they would have been of the same quality if it is a Toyota

Even my car they are not really telling me much what is wrong with, I asked for a formal report, because they have to send the report to Toyota Australia to get it fixed under warranty they said they cannot provide me with a report.

Edited by hell

Hi Pinot,

According to ACCC, I should have been able to get a refund because it is a major problem and is has already taken more than a month.

Consumer affairs advised me to wait for the dealership to fix the issue.

Toyota Australia told me they do not do refund or replace, it has to be done through the dealership.

The dealership told me they do not do refund or replacement, they just fix the issue, I guess they can choose not to abide the Consumer Laws without consequences ;).

Thank you.

Hi guys,

I got my car back after 5 weeks. They service guy told me it was a major problem that`s why it took that long. Worst part I have scratches the length of both sides of the car at the height of the bumper. Could be caused when they towed the vehicle. Have to go back to them tomorrow. The service guy told me guarantees there will be no issues with the car because they had 3 other Klugers sent for transmission issues and have not come back for repairs. while the sales guy says he`s never heard of issues with the Klugers.

It is typical for the sales guys/gals to say they have never heard of any problems. But as soon as you mention an issue post-delivery, they run a mile and hide under the desk, as was the case with me when I purchased a new Kluger from Peter Roberts at Fergusons Toyota Hurstville. He has no idea how much business he lost from me giving him a very bad wrap! Just saying.

All the sales persons are interested in is their commission. They do not give a 'toss' about you post sale.

From my experience with ACCC, they had little interest in my complaints. It really is about time the ACCC got off their butts and introduced a motor vehicle LEMON Law. This law should definitely apply when a company like Toyota continues to build and sell cars knowing they have potential issues (as in my case). In my case I should have been told that there are issues with the steering arm and I could have then made an informed choice about my purchase. My steering arm was replaced 3 times in less than 10,000 km from new. Back then I was a Toyota devotee and if told there were issues with the Kluger, I would have upgraded to a Prado.

As I have said in other posts, Toyota Australia lacks any quality Customer Service skills. Obviously, over the years they have been relying on their past reputation. These days their reputation is not where it used to be and they should be wanting to please all and any disgruntled customers. Knowing they read these posts, I find it surprising they do not make any attempt to contact their disgruntled customers. Wake up Toyota, and grab that Feeling, instead of playing Head Office 'Hide and Seek'.