ACR30 Coolant change

paul_j

Hi

About to do my very first coolant change on an ACR30 2.4ltr Estima next week-end.

I have the correct Red Toyota coolant for this vehicle, purchased from Toyota dealership.

I have changed coolant on other vehicles over the years but this is my 'pride and joy' and want to make sure it stays that way.

I know about including the heater in the process.

Only reason I ask is that my son has a Holden Commodore and when his coolant was changed (not by me, not familiar with Commodores), apparently it needed some air bleeder valve at the top of the engine to be fiddled with.

Hopefully the ACR30 does not have a similar arrangement - anyone that has done a change can maybe enlighten me.

Thanks

3 hours ago, paul_j said:

at my son has a Holden Commodore and when his coolant was changed (not by me, not familiar with Commodores), apparently it needed some air bleeder valve at the top of the engine to be fiddled with.

Commodores are notorious for getting air-pockets in the head due to the top of the radiator being lower than the top of the engine which necessitates the bleed valve.

If you're ever concerned about this in a car, make sure when you re-fill the coolant to have the front of the car jacked up, and tape a plastic bottle (with the bottom cut off) to the radiator neck to increase the hydraulic head, this will help to drive out any air bubbles in the system (be warned you'll probably end up spilling some coolant when you take the bottle off at the end)