My new to me 2004 Corolla Wagon

Behold,  My new to me car!

Yup, despite regarding myself as relatively smart, and a member of I don’t even know how many car forums, I basically went out and purchased the first car I test drove, and probably paid too much / purchased the wrong one lol   Meh, it’s a Corolla... it changes gear alright, engine sounds good, drives straight, stops when I ask it to. I can live with my impatience :D

It is a Corolla 2004 wagon (ZZE122R), manual, 220k – spec seems okay – has air con, power windows, but well, it needs work! lol Where to begin...

What does it need, what are my plans? Performance? Nup. Budget and time means this is a single dad family wagon – needs to start, and go, and go, and go lol

Nope, getting the broken bits sorted are my priority:

• Replace boot struts, as they are rooted (looking at Munroe struts at this point..., OEM $$$ lol)

• Replace missing aerial, which isn’t really important yet, as i need to...

• ... unlock my locked radio, which is in HELP mode – newest car I’ve owned, and didn’t realise issue until I got home and read manual / internet [smacks forehead]

• Remove smoker smell – so far 2kg of baking soda worked into seats, carpet and lining has helped, along with wiping surfaces down with vinegar/water mix. Next step is to replace cabin filter, and depending on how drastic I feel like being, remove seats and carpet so I can steam clean the **** out of the interior and make it look pretty. Seems like far too much work for most people, I kinda enjoy this stuff :op

• While carpet is out, get fuel filter replaced – probably never been done

• Find out if gear lever has a lower bushing and replace it, as it is a tad loose.

• Find out what the bloody ‘bonk’ noise is every time I change gear – Change out of gear *bonk*, change into next gear, *bonk*, like two cardboard tubes hitting each other :S

• Get new keys, I only have one, and one more is on the way – some with remote opening would be good :D

After that? Dunno, fog lamps would be good, as would weather shields/ monsoon visors, and a tow bar maybe(?!). That is down the line, assuming I haven’t made a bad buy lol

I’ve put all this up to keep me on point, ask stupid questions and keep this wagon on the road. Wish me luck! :P

My Corolla.jpg

Thanks!

Right, buying boot struts and a cabin filter tomorrow.

Next steps are spare key (one with remote lock and unlock would be good) and unlock code for a 32804 stereo in HELP mode...

Boot struts fitted, much easier than I thought it would be! I now have a boot that opens and stays open - yay!

Inserted cabin filter, there wasn't one there- slack!

Looks like I'm looking at $100 for an oem key cut and coded, will research a bit more before opening wallet

I think i have found code for stereo, i managed to get it from HELP to SEC, and I have the original PIN. Fingers crossed...

Need to find Steam cleaner, then tee up other servicing for gear box and fuel filter...