OXYGEN SENSOR - High petrol consumption

krigeroz

OK, I think my high petrol consumption is due to a faulty Oxygen sensor. I know there is one in the front of the engine. Are there any other places I should be looking at?

Just checked ebay, and those sensors $200 a pop!!!  

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2141725.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=+OXYGEN+SENSOR+GENUINE+DENSO+AURION&_sacat=0

Is there a certain way It can be cleaned, some kind of solution can be used????

You can get them cheaper. But don't throw parts at it to find the problem.

Disconnect and remove the sensors, then give the ends that go into the pipe a clean with brake cleaner.

Usually you won't have an oxygen sensor fault without a check engine light being thrown. If they are dirty they should clean ok.

There are three total, one in each header and one downstream of the catalytic converters.

Ensure that you do not spray brake cleaner on the wires as it will reduce the life of the wiring insulation, spray the metal end only.

7 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

You can get them cheaper. But don't throw parts at it to find the problem.

Disconnect and remove the sensors, then give the ends that go into the pipe a clean with brake cleaner.

Usually you won't have an oxygen sensor fault without a check engine light being thrown. If they are dirty they should clean ok.

There are three total, one in each header and one downstream of the catalytic converters.

Ensure that you do not spray brake cleaner on the wires as it will reduce the life of the wiring insulation, spray the metal end only.

Agree, throwing parts at a problem before diagnosing/knowing the underlying cause is like casting your money into a wishing well.

Not exactly happy after replacing an oxygen sensor on another vehicle [$80?] and the Check Engine Light stayed on. Just to reinforce the lesson, the CEL went out afew weeks later and re-installing the old sensor had no impact. 

Just tried to open it up with a spanner... no luck:unsure: looks like will need to get something like this:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Toledo-Oxygen-Sensor-Socket-22mm-3-8-inch-square-drive-301094/SPO80135

Edited by krigeroz

Hi Krigeroz,

I feel your frustration.

Thinking and Knowing what is causing a fault are distinctly different. Shot  gunning can be costly as is time consuming.

If you are having an ongoing issue such as the "high fuel consumption" I would take it Toyota or someone qualified and have the engine diagnosed with the scanner and see what fault codes it throws up.

7 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

If you are having an ongoing issue such as the "high fuel consumption" I would take it Toyota or someone qualified and have the engine diagnosed with the scanner and see what fault codes it throws up.

I got the scanner it is on its way, I should be able to scan for errors in the same way as it is done by a Toyota service, it is a very popular Chinese scan tool.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014-New-Arrival-100-Original-Launch-EasyDiag-for-IOS-Built-in-Bluetooth-OBDII-Generic-Code-Reader/1539157281.html?spm=2114.13010608.0.0.RDqsOc

I really want to try all possible options myself before I head to Toyota service. In that way I'll learn something about the car myself.

7 hours ago, Full-Throttle said:

What sort of fuel consumption are you getting? And what sort of driving are you doing? (eg. 40% highway, 60% city).

It is around 9L to 13L on highway and once I get back to the city with all the traffic during the peak time, it slowly climes to 18L and goes up to 20L. One day when I filled up the tank and was driving around 70km area with not much traffic at that time, consumption was steady around 12L. Then I've thought thanks god, it came back to normal, all good. However the next day regular driving around city consumption went back to around 19L. 

Most of the time I drive around city with regular traffic. And sometime on weekends go to visit my friends, then I use highway. 

I did consumption measurements myself so it comes about the same to what I get/see on the car computer, dash board. 

At the moment I am waiting for a scanner and will be looking forward to see, any errors I may have. 

So just took the engine oxygen sensor out, It looks very clean to me, i just sprayed with a compressed air, don't know if that's going to help, maybe not.

9une4i.jpg

2ltqy6o.jpgrwp5x0.jpg

Edited by krigeroz

Just been trying to find the replacement from eziautoparts, however there catalogue is not straight forward, you really need to know what you are looking for.

Which one do you think will fit Aurion: 

http://www.eziautoparts.com.au/switches-and-sensors/oxygen-sensors/fuelmiser-oxygen-sensors.html

30 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Compressed air won't do anything worthwhile.

Did you read mine or campbeam's post at all?

I got the brake cleaner as well, but have not used it yet, as at first I expected the sensor to be all black and when I took it out, to my surprise it was very clean.

I can try to spray in those tiny holes and wash it with water. 

It's good you are here asking the questions krigeroz, because you may do something inadvertently and stuff it up.

We all learn no matter how small the problem and it's always good to ask first before attempting anything.

15 hours ago, krigeroz said:

I got the brake cleaner as well, but have not used it yet, as at first I expected the sensor to be all black and when I took it out, to my surprise it was very clean.

I can try to spray in those tiny holes and wash it with water. 

7 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Keep water away. Brake clean only.

Best to spray clean it a few times. Maybe best to give it a thorough spray and leave it a few hours or overnight to give the solvents a good chance to work on any accumulated deposits.

3 hours ago, campbeam said:

Best to spray clean it a few times. Maybe best to give it a thorough spray and leave it a few hours or overnight to give the solvents a good chance to work on any accumulated deposits.

Brake clean will evaporate within seconds to minutes. Aftermarket sensor manufacturers suppliers use brake clean to test the function, so it is perfect safe to use as well.

As campbeam said, spraying it a few times is not a bad idea. It may not fix it, but it could and it will not hurt it.

11 hours ago, trentmeyer23 said:

Keep water away. Brake clean only.

How do you clean Mass air flow sensor? I know there are special sprays for that, but they cost around $30. Do you think Isopropyl Aerosol spray would be safe for the mass air flow sensor? 

https://www.jaycar.com.au/isopropyl-aerosol-can-300g/p/NA1067

34 minutes ago, trentmeyer23 said:

As campbeam said, spraying it a few times is not a bad idea. It may not fix it, but it could and it will not hurt it.

I'll definitely try to soak the bottom of the sensor for at least an hour.

59 minutes ago, krigeroz said:

How do you clean Mass air flow sensor? I know there are special sprays for that, but they cost around $30. Do you think Isopropyl Aerosol spray would be safe for the mass air flow sensor? 

I've honestly never needed to clean my MAF sensors in the cars I have owned. That being said I normally run a quality catch can, which eliminates the oil deposits.

From the reading I have done, it seems that isopropyl alcohol is safe to use, some even recommending the Jaycar stuff.

This link from eHow, says that it can be done.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8663160_clean-maf-alcohol.html

On 1/24/2017 at 9:18 PM, krigeroz said:

CRC make a MAF spray cleaner. I have one somewhere....

4 hours ago, 07Prodigy said:

Have you checked tyre pressures, wheel alignment, driving style, vehicle accessories?

Is there any damage to the vehicle?

The tire pressure is around 36 psi,  I did not check the wheel alignment yet, driving style is just normal driving. I did the OBD scan if did not see any major errors.  My next thing would be to change the oil. I am planning to do that with a friend of mine sometime later in March.

The car was in the accident before but been restored, where was the damage I would not know and the previous owner did not tell me much as he was telling me he does not know it either. 

My last trip was around 40 min drive highway and city without too much traffic was around 12L. and the Eco drive shows 32L.

1o6jpx.jpg

2iqzhw4.jpg

Oh it's a 50.

umm, has it been like this since you've had it?

or was it around the 6-7 highway then one day jumped up?

the reason I ask, could your chassis be bent? Or still have damage?

When you say your driving style is normal, can you define normal?

for me, normal is drive like a grandfather. For my siblings, the peddles are all the way down or not at all.

you mentioned the "eco drive"... is this an average of total journey? I'm sorry I have the 40 so I don't have that.

your average in the pic is 11.4. Mine has jumped up to 99.8L/100km twice haha, when I first started it after refuelling, but when I was on the road I was getting 6.4L/100km with roof racks and a pod.

have you got accessories fitted?

13 hours ago, 07Prodigy said:

umm, has it been like this since you've had it?

or was it around the 6-7 highway then one day jumped up?

the reason I ask, could your chassis be bent? Or still have damage?

When you say your driving style is normal, can you define normal?

for me, normal is drive like a grandfather. For my siblings, the peddles are all the way down or not at all.

you mentioned the "eco drive"... is this an average of total journey? I'm sorry I have the 40 so I don't have that.

your average in the pic is 11.4. Mine has jumped up to 99.8L/100km twice haha, when I first started it after refuelling, but when I was on the road I was getting 6.4L/100km with roof racks and a pod.

have you got accessories fitted?

That time I was not driving much so could not tell much of the difference. To be honest I would not know if chassis is bent or not. There is no damage now, it has been restored and even when I checked the VIN number it all clear with no accident history. Been driving like grandpa, lol ... and if it is around city during the rush ours there not much I can go anyway... I don't know about much eco mode, maybe someone  else on the forum would be able to explain what that means.

That photo of the average total journey I took when i came back home. My lowest on highway was 8.5L once.  I don't have any kind of accessories fitted at all. The only things i did was once I drove on an empty street with a pedal down all the way and when car was on a brake I accelerated the engine I think a bit too much as a result a i got burned rubber smell from the engine. I don't know if that could cause any problem or not.

Ok, going on that I don't think there is anything wrong with they way you're driving or the vehicle structure, which then leaves an issue with the engine. So I would have to agree with the other Toyota Owners Club Australia members and say clean out from the air filter back to the engine as far as you can. There are a few sprays you can buy that will do this for you. You exhaust will smell for a bit but your car will run great. Note: DO NOT USE WATER INSIDE THE ENGINE OR TO CLEAN ANY ENGINE PARTS.

also it might need the cobwebs blown out of it, so to speak, so you can find a deserted road, drop it into second and accelerate to 6000rpm for approximately 60 seconds. A few safety things with that, don't do it unless the engine is warmed up completely, try not to speed and try not to break traction.

if you're not comfortable doing this then take it to someone you trust, or maybe someone on here could meet up with you somewhere?

im in Brisbane/GC of you need help.

Edited by 07Prodigy