s/t is not unlocked error

M&M7482

Hi guys,

So, due to recent flooding, my 2009 Aurion Zr6 went under water. Before any gives me the run down, on considering it a right off, this isn't an option so well just move on😉. Anyway she has been almost stripped to bare bones inside. Everything was taken out, cleaned 10 times over, dried out, smothered in contact cleaner, fuses all swapped for new ones, main ECM was taken out, no water intake but connectors wet. Dried and contact cleaner applied. Less then 1/2 cup water in oil. Drained, flushed and new filter.  New battery. No water in transmission but drained and new filter. After everything was left to dry for 2 weeks and cleaned, we reconnected the main body ECM and airbag control module and battery. Spark plugs removed and went to crank her to flush any water out of motor. When she was first connected to battery a 15amp fuse blew and gave off a slight burning smell. This is when we replaced all fuses with me ones. Second attempt to crank her and we got lights (high beam, low beam & fog), parkers, brake lights, indicators, windows and aircon All working. Door lock not working. Display on dash "S/T is not unlocked" so steering lock engaged. Every attempt to get out of steering lock has failed. Obviously we were unable to turn her over. So question... with all that info does anyone have an idea as what the issue could be? Any info that could help would be appreciated. As long as it's not a suggestion to ditch her a buy another car. No insurance on this one and not in a position to replace her. Water level reached top of glove box. That's with her jacked up on two rear floor jacks too full extension and front end on trolley jack to full extension to keep as much water out of front end as possible. Yes front end was higher then rear. Cheers😊

20180324_131200.jpg

received_1585793911456896.jpeg

We've actually tried the suggestions on that page, unfortunately the links do not work. The fuse that blew was a headlight fuse going by fuse box diagram online so that shouldn't have anything to do with it. And we have tried all the normal things you should do to get it out of lock. Including replacing fob battery and using the fob to push in the start button, applying brake while pushing start & not applying brake while pushing start. And before anyone asks... Yes she is in park😉. 

Sadly, I think you will have problems for a long time to come. Water is very nasty to cars in almost every way.

It sounds as if the actuator for the steering lock on the column could be seized or dead completely(water logged). There are posts around of people being able to get it to come loose with a bit of back and forth of the wheel. I would personally remove it and test off the vehicle. Also try and find a way to bypass it for testing purposes.

s-l640.jpg.75e76dce1709520a964c611c2314427a.jpg5ab6fb9de0432_s-l640(1).jpg.b4ba808e2f37c158e645f0255f23e7b4.jpg

Yea I do realise I'm going to have a struggle with her in the future as well as now. Insurance would have made it much easier😔. Thanks for advice on the actuator. We'll give this a try next. That and the door lock seems to be the only issues so far but she has to be put back together yet so im expect more😭. Cheers. 

Mate, I'd just like to say how sorry I am for your predicament. I'd hate to have to deal with such a mammoth issue like this.

You're a braver man than most.

Damn water, once it gets in it's hard to completely get out without issues.

It's just not water alone, but the sediments that come with it and other pollutants. 

The dash has a maze of wiring and all that inside the engine bay.

You'll probably need to strip it back further and do more decontamination. Dash included.

This car needs to dry out for a long time for those areas not accessible. 

I'd put a heater blower device inside the cabin and shut the doors to help dry it out much quicker and more effectively. 

You may need the services of a good auto electrician if you get stuck.

Not a good sign when you have burning smell after applying power. Some components have shorted.

All the best to you. Hope you get it sorted.

It will be a big task but I would be looking at unplugging all of the electrical connections and spraying with De-watering fluid [WD-40] and electrical contact cleaner. A hair dryer or heat gun may also prove to be handy.

When it is all sorted out and the vehicle is back on the road, consider what else you can do as a preventative measure. Best option may be to take out comprehensive insurance before the next flood re-occurs.

I went looking at car flood protection bags on the internet.

This URL got me thinking and latest thought was to also use a car trailer plus 2 waterproof covers.

http://leesframeandaxle.com/flood-proof-car/

Thanks for the suggestions. We've had an industrial fan blowing in there since water came down trying to helping dry inside out. Didn't think to get heater blower in there but will definately grab one tomorrow, as well as pull the whole dash out. She would have been under for 6/7 hours. And watching her go under was heart breaking. Worst part was getting through high tide with water only coming halfway up the wheels and thinking she was going to be ok, to then being completely smashed and water rising around 15/20cm every twenty mins during low tide!! I actually had comprehensive insurance until two months ago when, due to unforseen life issues, couldn't afford to pay it any longer. I've had a look at the flood bags but couldnt find them in Australia, campbean. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place? Unfortunately we were not at home at the time it started to flood and by the time we got home it was 2am and no longer able to get her out. 4x4 accessible... just, but to high for the Aurion. All electrical connectors inside and out have been done with contact cleaner. Except what may be up behind the dash, but as i said, we will pull the rest of that tomorrow, grab a heater blower and stick that in there. At this point Im willing to give anything a go. Upside... at least my interior all looks amazing and clean now. I've got to take the upsides as i find them. It keeps my hope alive😉. Also, I'm female so i like shiny things. And I don't like to give up, which is just a stubborn nature thing, not a female thing. So not so much brave, Tony, just really really love my car and completely unwilling to give up at this point. My other half.... now that's a brave man!😂😂. Photo's are for anyone's curiosity purposes. Cheers guys!

20180313_122720.jpg

20180313_122716.jpg

20180313_122731.jpg

20180311_111047.jpg

20180316_164742.jpg

20180325_193822.jpg

20180325_194004.jpg

20180325_193546.jpg

• Like 1

I've put my foot in it assuming you were a man :blush:. Sorry and thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea.

Anyway, looks like you've done a great job with the interior. The seats look like new !

I love your fighting spirit. Keep it up and I'm sure you'll get it sorted eventually. 

It's gonna take time but we're sure you'll get there.

Keep us posted :thumbsup:

Just to satisfy my curiosity, where abouts in Queensland are you located. Quite possibly your local wreckers may have also got flooded

I myself am located Brisbane Southside. Last time I was at local wreckers at Rocklea, they still hac a red Aurion Sportivo with a steering column and dash etc

No worries, Tony. If i put my real name on here I'd  be mistaken for a male as well. No biggie😁😁. Yea the seats and interior came up great. It took a lot to get the mud off and clean but they all look great now.  Put that motor trimming experience to work that's for sure. I'm in far north qld, campbean. Outside of Cairns. Should be able to find something this way to fix her. If not, I've got a few places in Brissy worked out that will freight stuff up this way for me. Will keep you posted on how i go with her though. 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞 cheers. 

Best of Luck Shelly..I do hope all goes well and your beauty is back doing it's job for you and thanks for the Photo's..sad too see but shows your effort's

Chin Up Fight On and keep us updated

KAA

Thanx KAA😊. Hopefully next week we will replace the steering lock ecu and get somewhere with her. If nothing else, it will have both my partner and I, knowing a lot more then what we did when we started. And that's always bonus! Will definatley post updates as we go😁. Cheers

• Like 1

Ok so tiny update... ran the intelligent tester and came up with error code c1249 open in stop switch circuit. So my guess (And it is just a guess) is the skid control ecu shorted out during flooding. I'm also guessing my best bet is to just buy a new pump & modual? However, ill go through the check procedures first and see how i go. My question, and it might seem like a silly question but I'm old school mechanical and to be honest the whole electrical system has me a little confused, but this error wouldn't have anything to do with the steering lock would it? Please, if I'm wrong, correct me! Any thoughts would be great. Cheers