foot park brake

jiro

Hi all

I'm new here so of course I have to ask a weird question.

Want to get an Aurion but.

The foot park brake.

I hate them, a lot. Mind you the one in the Hyundai Optima is much worse. Once my foot is under it on the foot rest area I can 't move my foot. And I have average sized foot.

What I want to know is

Is the foot brake pedal operated via a on/off electrical switch or a hydraulic switch? I am thinking maybe get rid of it and put a switch on the dash somewhere close to the steering wheel.

Then it would be much more comfortable.

Told you it was weird.

Cheers

Jiro

Hi Paul, I cant answer the switch answer for you but I am sure others can that are more tech minded..

However I have never found a problem with the Park Brake Pedal in our Aurion Presara..it is easy to use and I have plenty of room to move my foot about once it is released..sure it takes getting used too but that came fast 

Keep Well

KAA

3 hours ago, KAA said:

.it is easy to use and I have plenty of room to move my foot about once it is released..sure it takes getting used too but that came fast

Agree; plenty of foot room. Aurion has been my 1st car with a foot brake and also 1st V6. Previous cars have been 4 cylinder with handbrakes. Staying with my Aurion.

Footbrake operates cables back to the rear brake shoes inside the hat of the rear rotors. Only switch would be to light up the dashboard warning light. As an experiment, I once deliberately touched the footbrake while the car was in motion e.g. 40kph and got a very audible warning message

Thanks to you both for your replies.

I will have to try it for a bit longer

After literally squeezing my foot under the Optima foot pedal I thought

**** that will hurt in quick time not being able to move my foot. I saw the Aurion had the same thing. I made an assumption. they would be the same.

Cheers

29 minutes ago, jiro said:

hurt in quick time not being able to move my foot

Definitely plenty of room to move your foot. I have mostly size 8 and some size 9 shoes. I do an annual interstate trip Brisbane to Wagga Wagga. Last trip included a detour to Hamilton VIC so 4 days of highway driving then another 2 days for the return trip. While driving on these trips, I occasionally move my left foot under the front of the driver's seat and also the occasional leg stretch using the foot rest.

One thing to remember @jiro, are you trying to fit your foot under the pedal when the brake is applied or when it is disengaged?  The pedal usually comes up quite a way when the brake is off (otherwise it would be a safety hazard in case of an accident, not to mention a shin-breaker).

I sat it under the pedal while it was parked.and resting left foot against firewall and on side of the tunnel. 

Mm maybe it was already pressed down??

Id better have another sit in one and including the Optima.

1 hour ago, jiro said:

maybe it was already pressed down??

I would say definitely YES. Press down in the foot brake pad to release and it will come up. Probably a good idea to also to have your right foot on the brakes when you do this.

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto for me (size UK12). No problem for space.

Having other classic cars which are manuals, I do very occasionally push it as a clutch pedal when my foot is not underneath on the rest.

Yeah, I know ...... but Aurion is great for long trips with the cruise control, as you can shuffle your legs for cramp and stiff knees, etc. and if the timing is just right [wrong!]

The warning alarm comes on immediately when you do press it by mistake, so that's also excellent.