Tips for Stopping VVTI rattle on Startup?

TheFoosh

Anybody else out there found a way to stop the VVTI rattle on startup or is it just a fact of life with the 2GR-FE engine?

If anybody has found a way to stop it I'd love to hear what you did.

This topic has been covered in earlier threads. You should be able to search this Forum.

I have had better results doing a Google search with results for this Forum.

Members have posted their various results. Changing viscosity of oil either higher or lower can produce a good outcome. It varies upon the condition of the engine. What works for one engine may not produce the same desired outcome in another. Sometimes a matter of trial and error.

If ever I remove the valve cover, I will take the time to check the VVTi controller particularly that the bolts are nice and tightened.

Don't let this happen to you ! VVTi Controller failure from a 2ZZ-GE motor. The bolts work their way loose & rattle noise begins, the controller cover starts to rattle, then the bolts break & cause damage, potentially catastrophic, especially when chains are involved. Lucky for me the missing bolts sheared off in bits & landed away from the chain drive & didn't get stuck anywhere. It punched a hole in the rocker/cam cover & that's it !

This high revving engine had done approx 250K kms when the controller failed.

VVTLI_Controller_FAILURE_3.jpg.c2ec28de6f1359814d04bcb6ac106f30.jpgVVTLI_Controller_FAILURE_2.jpg.ca8aaf80a9f2e9ee98bd07753db8e3bb.jpgVVTLI_Controller_FAILURE_1.jpg.db8f4b5d8b5cc51bd5c85a0d903598e2.jpg

ps: note how clean the engine is :))

Edited by ZZT86
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mine has 251 000km. At 193 000km when I got it there was rattle on start. I use 0-30 or 0-40 oil and replace every 5 to 8000km. The rattle has pretty much gone, it happens less than once a month. I have no idea if it is the frequent oil changes but I cant think of any other reason for it going away

• 2 years later...
19 hours ago, Kayd said:

I found  away  to stop the rattle 

Looks like the rest of the post with all of the details went missing into the ethernet.

Interested to hear whether it is a case of turn on the ignition and wait or an initial brief twist of the ignition key or start button to build the engine oil pressure then do again for actual engine start up.