Oil Change Overkill

campbeam

It's like a "full circle" situation. Having started out with a high mile oil change interval, which created the sludge issue in the first instance, then having to fight your way back to what should have been implemented in the first place, which is regular low mile oil changes. 

The truth is that all this is avoidable if people don't skimp on their oil service. I can appreciate those who aren't DIY and have to pay someone to do the service for them, but in saying that, if you plan to own a car, then you should also be willing to accept all the running costs that come with it. Changing your oil more regularly costs more in the short term, BUT, it will save you in the longer term. Fact.

On 10/30/2022 at 6:16 PM, campbeam said:

I have just viewed this YouTube video that was posted about a year ago. This was the follow up video to the one where he did an engine flush and an oil change using Mobil 1. Surprising how dirty the oil is and the number of oil changes to finally get clear engine oil. Something else that I noted was the closing comment that the next oil change interval will be reduced to 3000 miles [5000 kms].

What this video demonstrates really is how many oil changes it takes to simply "mop up" the inside of the engine. Sludge and varnish are baked on moreso and will require a more aggressive approach with the addition of flush agents rather than dropping the oil each time. The agents are design to loosen up, break away and dissolve as much sludge and varnish as possible and it's a procedure which needs to repeated just as much as demonstrate here.
Even the most sludged up engine will produce this same result by simply doing subsequent oil changes, but the baked on stuff will still remain.

Prevention is always better than the cure right ?? This is a very costly affair.

• Like 1

The following scenes may be disturbing so viewer discretion is advised.

Sorry guys. I had to post this one seeing we're on the subject of oil changes etc..

Oh boy, why are there so many dumb people in America ??

How many oil changes you reckon this idiot needs ?? 🤣

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I have a fix for this issue, old thread, so if anyone is still keen, flick me a line here and I'll recommend the mecahnic who solved my problem ($1200). Thanks.

On 1/9/2024 at 10:19 AM, Gavin D said:

I have a fix for this issue, old thread, so if anyone is still keen, flick me a line here and I'll recommend the mecahnic who solved my problem ($1200). Thanks.

Why don't you just share your fix here instead ?

I'm guessing it involves stripping down half the engine/sump & taking to it with a ******* load of diesel and/or solvent & loads of labor, hence $1200.

On a different note, I saw some dude on bookface/whatever who posted up an image of his said Aurion which had almost clocked 900K kms ! Apparently a head gasket has given up the ghost & now it no longer drives, still a fair innings I would say. Oh what a feeling . . . 

Edited by ZZT86