Jump to content

Recommended Posts

The oil is an unusual colour perhaps due to the additive ? It looks to have an olive tone to it. When is the next oil change due ?

I agree too that oil is cheaper than a seized engine. I get a good sense of satisfaction doing an oil change among other things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lets say 25 oil changes with additional flushes and oil filter cartridges. Approximate total cost being $1100 over 5.5 years. Normal oil changes [with diesel flush] every 6 months = 11 = $450.  E

I love seeing the level of passion you've put into these oil changes, and keeping us updated on how it's going. I feel like I may have to have a go at the diesel flush on my next service 🙂 You're al

Yes, lots of time-wasting but I have lots of me time especially on the weekends. I have been flushing this engine since October 2015.  I do keep a car maintenance spreadsheet. As for cost, estimate 20

Posted Images

16 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

The oil is an unusual colour perhaps due to the additive ? It looks to have an olive tone to it. When is the next oil change due ?

The olive tone in the oil is due to the additive. Next oil change is due in 1250 kms.

Most likely I will check the oil filter cartridge in a week or 2 to see whether there is any more sludge particles. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I love seeing the level of passion you've put into these oil changes, and keeping us updated on how it's going. I feel like I may have to have a go at the diesel flush on my next service 🙂
You're also living up to my personal mantra of "Nothing says success quite like excess!" 😄

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's quite simple really. If you do regular oil changes, you will never get sludge or significant staining.

While ignorance can be bliss for some, this can be detrimental if applied to extended oil service as the modern day service booklet would allow you to do. 

This 15k-25k service interval is absolutely ludicrous and for those companies that advocate this should be shot down in flames. Considering, some if not most, will not be using a high quality engine oil. By saving a few bucks in the short terms will cause larger repair costs down the track.

As most of you know, I've been doing my oil service every 10K or less and I have no staining that I can see at all. So it would be testament not only to the Nulon quality but  doing regular servicing and so as I'm going forward I am even considering doing the oil between 5k - 7.5k. Oil is relatively cheap, as you say Ashley, so it wouldn't be a bad idea. My last oil service was after 5K and there was some discolouration starting to appear in the oil indicating the very contamination that can harm the engine if left according to the manufacturers guide.

I came across this video and initially I thought this guy was crazy, but as I continued to watch, it made more sense.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony, you have done it again and found another worthwhile YouTube video.

I like to listen to those speaking on their subject based upon their years of experience.

It now makes sense why I was getting differences in my fuel economy figures on the recent road trip. The engine would have been fully up to operational temperatures and the piston ring tolerances tighter after driving for a few hours in the morning then refuelling before driving the rest of the day. 

Because I normally do a lot of short distance driving [15kms at a time], it makes sense for me to have a shorter oil change interval for my specific vehicle. I had been more focussing upon the oil sludge accumulation and cleansing but oil acidity and aluminium bearings is certainly something else to consider. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

It's quite simple really. If you do regular oil changes, you will never get sludge or significant staining.

While ignorance can be bliss for some, this can be detrimental if applied to extended oil service as the modern day service booklet would allow you to do. 

This 15k-25k service interval is absolutely ludicrous and for those companies that advocate this should be shot down in flames. Considering, some if not most, will not be using a high quality engine oil. By saving a few bucks in the short terms will cause larger repair costs down the track.

As most of you know, I've been doing my oil service every 10K or less and I have no staining that I can see at all. So it would be testament not only to the Nulon quality but  doing regular servicing and so as I'm going forward I am even considering doing the oil between 5k - 7.5k. Oil is relatively cheap, as you say Ashley, so it wouldn't be a bad idea. My last oil service was after 5K and there was some discolouration starting to appear in the oil indicating the very contamination that can harm the engine if left according to the manufacturers guide.

I came across this video and initially I thought this guy was crazy, but as I continued to watch, it made more sense.

 

 


But... but... what oil does he use?

Or do we all have to wait for the follow up video :sadwalk:

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Novicebutnice said:

But... but... what oil does he use?

Or do we all have to wait for the follow up video 

He actually mentioned it sheepishly not wanting to turn the video into an advertisement for the company, but it was the Lucas brand of oil. Not available here of course but he turned to that oil because of a Tractor diesel engine that came to him that had done 12,000 hrs and it looked mint inside with no sludge or discoloration. That was all the convincing he needed.

Go to 14:43

Edited by Tony Prodigy
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Novicebutnice said:


But... but... what oil does he use?

Or do we all have to wait for the follow up video :sadwalk:

If you go to 14:43 of the video, it is NOT Lucas brand of oil.

We will have to see a follow up video from the fellow on the right after he has been introduced to the oil rep. by the engine repair fellow on the left.

Maybe Tony can track that video down for us.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, campbeam said:

If you go to 14:43 of the video, it is NOT Lucas brand of oil.

Haha, my stupid. I thought I heard differently. I didn't have the volume up and missed that key word lol.  Sorry guys. :whistling1:

I'll see if I can track that video down.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is an excellent teaser which has generated quite a number of comments and interest for the next video, if that happens soon.

Anyway I did read most of the comments and made note of a few worthy ones.

One I most considered was about using different brands of synthetic oils due to their differing additive packages to enhance engine cleaning potential.

A common theme of the comments was a regular synthetic oil change interval varying between 5000 kms and 5000 miles [8000 kms].

Link to post
Share on other sites

Something inside me head is itching to say it "Amsoil Signature Synthetic" - there I said it, cos I know plenty yanks out there love this oil & for good reason - it's a bloody oil.

Anyway aside from this the bloke make the perfect point of regular maintenance & that whatever the manufacturer recommends is the absolute minimum one should do. The more servicing you do the cleaner the engine will be & the longer it will last - pure & simple. Many many moons ago when I got my brand spanking new gen7 celica I asked my man @ Toyota himself a master tech how often I should change the oil & what with - he said to use the recommended oil weight being 10W30 then semi-synthetic, use the same oil every time & do it every 5000kms.

The celica had a fault towards the end of my 13 year ownership & the VVT controller bolts let go, the attached picture shows how clean the engine was then with about 250-275K kms, I think the picture will speak volumes for how I took care of it. The controller & cam cover was replaced & the engine & car was put back into service. Happy days.

 

VVTLI_Controller_FAILURE_3.jpg.c2ec28de6f1359814d04bcb6ac106f30.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

The more servicing you do the cleaner the engine will be & the longer it will last - pure & simple. Many many moons ago when I got my brand spanking new gen7 celica I asked my man @ Toyota himself a master tech how often I should change the oil & what with - he said to use the recommended oil weight being 10W30 then semi-synthetic, use the same oil every time & do it every 5000kms.

1000% in agreement !

6 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

The celica had a fault towards the end of my 13 year ownership & the VVT controller bolts let go, the attached picture shows how clean the engine was then with about 250-275K kms, I think the picture will speak volumes for how I took care of it.

Magnificent !. It looks like day one. I miss the old Celicas. They were excellent cars and practically bulletproof.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

the attached picture shows how clean the engine was then with about 250-275K kms,

Now that is a nice benchmark picture of what a properly maintained engine with regular oil changes should look like.

Just what I want to see with my Aurion if ever I remove the front valve cover.

There is a glimmer of hope of coming close because I see some oil varnish on the VVTi controller.

Something to aim for in the next 30K or so of oil changes. More road trips with full synthetic oil will help my cause.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ironically enough the celica always used the same Shell Helix HX7 10W30 😉 Then again it didn't matter a great deal with the 5K km OCI, was always well driven & allowed to get normally hot. The ZZT celica was a rippa car.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

Ironically enough the celica always used the same Shell Helix HX7 10W30 😉 Then again it didn't matter a great deal with the 5K km OCI, was always well driven & allowed to get normally hot. The ZZT celica was a rippa car.

I'm sure it was an impeccable vehicle. Fussy owners usally do lol.

It would've been nice to see the Celica continue. It had a good run since it's debut in 1970. We used to kick around in the early to mid 70s Celicas back in the late 80s early 90s and they were just great cars. I miss those days.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice looking Celica with the Yamaha engine head. Same Celica as my mate's. It is still his daily driver and got no intentions of replacing it.

Bit of a standing joke between us about my using diesel as an engine flush. Have not been able to convince him to try it. At least he is doing more regular oil changes.

Last time I got my hands on his Celica, I gave it a standard oil and filter change. LOL 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Don't wana hijack the thread but I loved my celica so much I really had to reason to replace it until the 86 came along.

FR_side_main_MR.thumb.jpg.bde9657d04b34cf5108f8b1fd6631c7b.jpg

Beautiful car. It looks immaculate. I don't see any gutter rash either. Nice work ! 

You're the kind of person I'd buy a car from. :thumbsup:

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2020 at 10:29 AM, campbeam said:

The olive tone in the oil is due to the additive. Next oil change is due in 1250 kms.

Most likely I will check the oil filter cartridge in a week or 2 to see whether there is any more sludge particles. 

Yesterday, I dropped the oil after coming back from a highway trip, earlier than expected. No significant sludge particles in the oil filter cartridge or on the bottom of the oil drain pan. Oil looks dark because of that additive and was freely flowing. Oil when on the dipstick looks quite good so really does not not need to be changed.

Getting prepared for another oil change overkill without any additive this time to discolour the oil.

Original intention was to track the change of oil colour on the dipstick and on the guard inside the valve cover near the oil filler cap opening. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Ash, how much are you paying for oil filters ?

I think I have a couple left and will need to restock soon.

I'll check the oil while i'm foraging around for the beep speaker for Nik.

I am using cheap non-genuine oil filters sourced from eBay. Previously paid $3 to $3.50 from Malaysian sellers.

Last lot was sourced from China. Current price is $4.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10pcs-Oil-Filter-For-Scion-Avalon-Camry-Highlander-Venza-TOYOTA-04152-YZZA1/263693978603?hash=item3d6562cbeb:g:Ek4AAOSwKoFa~UVc

At that price and buying oil on special, I do not hesitate to do a more frequent oil change interval. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, campbeam said:

At that price and buying oil on special, I do not hesitate to do a more frequent oil change interval. 

It makes sense completely. I'll try and dig back into my ebay sales and see if I can find mine. It's been a while.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.






Toyota Owners Club AU © 2020 | This Website has no association with Toyota (AU) or Toyota Motor Corporation. | Cookies | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership