ticking noise when at running temp

coleb161

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I should also look to getting a new serpentine belt along with the pulleys and the tensioner. Any suggestions would be appreciated too.

I did my research back in 2018 and bought a Gates Micro-V Ribbed Belt for the girlfriend's Yatris. It is still in a plastic bag along with some Aerospace 303. In the meantime, I have been the serpentine belt on my Aurion a few Aerospace 303 Protectant treatments. 

After watching this YouTube video, I repacked the idler pulley bearings. I am sure that I used white lithium spray grease plus a bit of silicone spray. Bit of preventative maintenance rather than wait for the bearings to wear and become noisy. 

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

I did my research back in 2018 and bought a Gates Micro-V Ribbed Belt for the girlfriend's Yatris. It is still in a plastic bag along with some Aerospace 303. In the meantime, I have been the serpentine belt on my Aurion a few Aerospace 303 Protectant treatments. 

After watching this YouTube video, I repacked the idler pulley bearings. I am sure that I used white lithium spray grease plus a bit of silicone spray. Bit of preventative maintenance rather than wait for the bearings to wear and become noisy. 

I think I might just re grease the idler pulley bearings instead of replacing them. I did a cold start video this morning and the idler pulleys are a bit dry when cold and as the engine warmed up they slowly quieted back down. I'll have to make a mental note to do these soon before they get worse.

Soaking the serpentine belt in 303 was exactly what I was going to do to. It's a great idea to prolong it's service life. It may even outlast the engine lol...

It looks like a difficult job getting in there but after watching THIS video it's actually not that bad.

Here's another nugget of into I found.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Engine HOT stop/started a couple of times, it's got a bottom end like rod-knock which is odd 😨

Mine sounds similar too actually. I've yet to upload a video. ( will soon) 

I think that sound you're hearing is just the movement of the pistons, that sucking sound. Not sure how else to explain it.

Part of the Cadogan tech terminology "suck, squeeze, bang, blow" eh ?  It's obvious to me on the clip on me computer speakers but it's not so obvious in real life. I think it's fine. Actually it sounds a bit like a quiet diesel sometimes.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, domej said:

Could they just be loud engines overall? Here's mine with 186k on the clock, fresh fluids all round but spotty service history.

Typically they aren't loud at all, well for the ones I know of. Maybe they do start to get a bit more ticky as they age perhaps ??

Mine is pretty quiet.  I'll try and upload a video soon. Also, the audio in the videos amplifies the noise so it may make it sound worse than it actually is too.

My opinion is that they're a fairly silent motor when up to normal temps, especially considering that it's chain driven.

Edited by ZZT86