New steering wheel controls

jave

Hi,

I've just upgraded my steering wheel in my May 2009 Aurion AT-X. See picture attached.

Now the stereo controls on the left work with my headunit, apart from the phone buttons. On the right however, no buttons work (AC and DISP), apart from the Mic button, which starts Google on my headunit. The controls were bought off AliExpress.

Is there any way to get the AC controls and the DISP button to work? I have dual zone AC installed from the factory in my Aurion.

Any advice appreciated.

new_wheel.jpg

Aircon wiring shouldn't be there for an atx so it won't work. The display button will work once u ground a wire that goes into ur head unit from the factory harness, pink wire

https://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/21384-steering-wheel-audio-controls/?tab=comments#comment-315333

Edited by Metal_Head

That is a really nice steering wheel! What model is it from? Looking for something a bit thicker than the standard leather wheel on my Touring. Looks similar to the Hilux's (but not sure how the airbags would work). 

@donnot It's a standard AT-X wheel, but reupholstered with black leather. I know, it's a bit fancy for an Aurion, but I saved up for it and I like it! Took the upholsterer about 3-4 hours to do it. I waited 2 months for him to get free time to get around to my wheel.

14 hours ago, donnot said:

Looking for something a bit thicker than the standard leather wheel on my Touring.

Not going to look as nice as the reupholstered wheel, but I bought a leather steering wheel cover on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Premium-Luxury-Steering-Wheel-Cover-Breathable-Perforated-Black-Real-Leather/252297882639?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Shortly after I bought it, SuperCheap Auto had a special on for the RM WIlliams steering wheel cover. It just happens to be on special now until 22.12.2020

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/r.m.williams-r.m.williams-steering-wheel-cover-leather-black-380mm/225426.html

On 12/16/2020 at 3:58 AM, jave said:

@donnot It's a standard AT-X wheel, but reupholstered with black leather. I know, it's a bit fancy for an Aurion, but I saved up for it and I like it! Took the upholsterer about 3-4 hours to do it. I waited 2 months for him to get free time to get around to my wheel.

I got a quote of $600 to reupholster a steering wheel for my Aurion and thought, Naah.. I was able to patiently search out ebay for one off a 2017 Presara for much much less.  The idea is to get one off a low kay car as possible, this way the wheel has less handling wear and tear on it. I was lucky in the one I got was off a car with less than 60K on the ODO so it was a keeper. If you know what I'm talking about, take a look at a steering wheel from a taxi or a high mileage car.  Shiny, no textured smooth look ? That's a worn steering wheel.

After a good clean, I ceramic coated it and put it away as a spare. Some of you may remember that thread.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I got a quote of $600 to reupholster a steering wheel for my Aurion and thought, Naah.. I was able to patiently search out ebay for one off a 2017 Presara for much much less.  The idea is to get one off a low kay car as possible, this way the wheel has less handling wear and tear on it. I was lucky in the one I got was off a car with less than 60K on the ODO so it was a keeper. If you know what I'm talking about, take a look at a steering wheel from a taxi or a high mileage car.  Shiny, no textured smooth look ? That's a worn steering wheel.

After a good clean, I ceramic coated it and put it away as a spare. Some of you may remember that thread.

Yeah, I had mine upholstered for $300. Like I said, it took a while, but I was prepared to wait. One bloke wanted $450, so it pays to shop around.

Also, have you seen this?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-CAMRY-AURION-2007-2011-wood-leather-steering-wheel-Black-piano/281299699723

4 hours ago, jave said:

Yeah, I had mine upholstered for $300. Like I said, it took a while, but I was prepared to wait. One bloke wanted $450, so it pays to shop around.

Also, have you seen this?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-CAMRY-AURION-2007-2011-wood-leather-steering-wheel-Black-piano/281299699723

Definitely pays to shop around I totally agree. I enjoy the thrill of the chase especially when I land what I want/need.

That steering wheel looks nice but not sure about the quality to be honest.  It may be ok, and then again it may be rubbish after 12 months. Hard to say without a review.

@Metal_Head This afternoon my mate and I had a go at grounding all the pink wires we could find. No luck. My DISP button was working with my old steering wheel and controls. It could be that the DISP button happens to be faulty on my new controls from AliExpress. I have managed to find a wiring diagram in these forums and will have another look tomorrow.

Wiring diagram from here -

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Jordan1703 said:

Where did you get the controls?

I got them off AliExpress website. Search for Camry controls