A Blow to the 2021 Camry

Tony Prodigy

I was just reading an article about the 2021 facelift range of the new Camry only to learn that they have axed the V6 for Australia. 

Damn it !! The future is looking like 4 cyl putt putt machines and hybrid.

Very sad the way we ended in this country. They'd better get the car museum ready cos it's gonna fill up pretty quickly soon..

https://www.caradvice.com.au/906860/toyota-camry-v6-dead-in-australia-axed-with-2021-facelift/

I read that article some time ago. Unfortunately, it makes sense when V6 is only 4% of Camry sales.

Current Camry hybrid has 160KW [combined power] so not too bad a compromise. There is future potential that with more powerful electric motors and further improved battery packs for the combined power to be further increased.

In the meantime, I am going to keep enjoying the V6 overtaking power at 100+kph on the highway.

I find the 2.5L Camry very good, it could be worse, have a look at the American made 2021 Camry...what were they thinking. :wacko:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b46IrnXRmYY&ab_channel=Halterman%27sToyota

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7dElzE61q4&ab_channel=ToyotajeffinRaleigh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8fYNpN18BQ&ab_channel=DriversOnly

Of cause steering wheel is on the other side but...Peddle for Handbrake, Washer Stem and Indicator on opposite sides, Spedo in MPH and KPH, Touch Screen sticks out like RAV4 and Corolla, ugly Fin on roof, one arm to hold bonnet up,like my old Corolla, I hope the Japanese made Camry is not the same.  :sad: 

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

In the meantime, I am going to keep enjoying the V6 overtaking power at 100+kph on the highway.

That's what I will miss the most, apart from the effortless acceleration, smoothness at idle and at speed and the excellent fuel economy. Shame the tight ringers couldn't see this otherwise more would have sold. It seems the general consensus is "get the 4", "it's cheaper on fuel".. If only more people did their research and figured it would be better to own a V6 with ALL the extra benefits it provides makes a better argument over the 4 cyl anyday. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Who knows maybe in the future you'll see videos titled "202X camry v6 swap" or something

Edited by Ed.

On 2/16/2021 at 8:15 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

Damn it !! The future is looking like 4 cyl putt putt machines and hybrid.

I am looking to the future when the RAV4 Prime or an equivalent performance Camry Prime is available in Australia and it comes with a solid state battery or even better.

https://www.motor1.com/news/431972/toyota-rav4-prime-races-camry-trd/

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2021 at 2:59 PM, Ed. said:

Who knows maybe in the future you'll see videos titled "202X camry v6 swap" or something

Before, I was not taking your post seriously. Now that I have seen this recent news article, here is a potential donor vehicle for the V6.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2021-toyota-kluger-due-in-australia-in-june-hybrid-inbound-125382.html?trackLink=SMH2

Maybe instead, we will have to get our hands on the V6 Kluger and sports tune the suspension.

51 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Before, I was not taking your post seriously. Now that I have seen this recent news article, here is a potential donor vehicle for the V6.

https://www.drive.com.au/news/2021-toyota-kluger-due-in-australia-in-june-hybrid-inbound-125382.html?trackLink=SMH2

Maybe instead, we will have to get our hands on the V6 Kluger and sports tune the suspension.

Looks like there's hope after all !! The V6 is way too good to kill off. How dare they !!

I seriously hope they've cured the horrendous front wheel torque steering issue that has plagued past models. 
I once drove a friends 2nd Gen Kluger FWD and was driving down a local highway in the gutter lane and thought I'd floor it to feel the V6 power. This was before I bought the Aurion and had never sampled the 2GR-FE until then. Anyway, when I floored it, it violently pulled hard left and it freaked me out nearly mounting the curb. The weird thing is the the steering wheel hadn't turned as far to the left as the car actually did. Wow, I thought. I looked at my mate and said, W.T.@$#^ was that ??? He looked at me and laughed saying it's normal. They all torque steer when you gun them. Right there and then I swore never to buy one and wound up with the Aurion.

I would consider the new Gen Kluger someday as an upgrade if and when the Aurion goes to car heaven, but I have no plans to sell it. I love my Aurion too much.

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I would consider the new Gen Kluger someday as an upgrade if and when the Aurion goes to car heaven, but I have no plans to sell it. I love my Aurion too much.

When my Aurion goes to car heaven, I have a replacement Aurion on standby. I would then consider the RAV4 Prime after it becomes available in Australia. 

After 2030, I might then be after an aerodynamic efficient electric car for my urban grocery getting activities in retirement.

• 2 weeks later...

Another blow to the 2021 Camry is the price, $3000 more for the Camry Ascent petrol :surprise: Oh what a feeling...not so much.  :angry:

https://penrithtoyota.dealer.toyota.com.au/new-vehicles/camry/ascent/sedan

It's no wonder there's no V6 Camry, no one could afford it. :rolleyes:

36 minutes ago, bob007 said:

Another blow to the 2021 Camry is the price, $3000 more for the Camry Ascent petrol

I suspect this is the knock on effect from the strained supply chains. I haven't looked but you think this is the same across all the others brands ?

37 minutes ago, bob007 said:

It's no wonder there's no V6 Camry, no one could afford it. :rolleyes:

Everybody is using finance so that should deter anyone surely.

• 3 weeks later...

Yet another blow to the Camry, as of 2021 the Camry is now Hybrid only. :thumbdown:

At the moment the Camry Ascent is the only one where you get a choice of Petrol or Hybrid. :no:  The Camry has gone up $3000 to $35,000 for the Petrol and the Hybrid is $38,000. :ohmy:

If you look at the bottom of this...https://penrithtoyota.dealer.toyota.com.au/inventory/camry/ascent/sedan/2021/JTNBA3HK403007024

it tells us about Hybrid Technology but it leaves out a few important facts...

Toyota Hybrid batteries are backed by a five year/unlimited kilometre warranty and may be extended to 10 years, what ever that means. :confused1:  A replacement Battery will cost up to $9000.  :wacko:  The Electric Motor that runs the System will cost many thousands of dollars to replace if it fails after 5 years.  :sad:

A ten year old Camry isn't worth a great deal of money but you still have to spend up to $9000 for a new Hybrid battery alone, I don't want that worry hanging over my head for 10 years, that's why I have a Petrol car.  If you do a lot of short trips, this will kill the Hybrid battery faster and last, Hybrids are not DIY cars.

I love my Camry Ascent Petrol and have had it now for 15 mths with no problems but if I can't buy what I want, it'll be my last...Oh what a feeling, not any more. :sad:

That is very disappointing. If Toyota want to shoot themselves in the foot like that then consumers will shop elsewhere. There are still plenty of alternatives out there.

The battery degradation and the cost to replace it will render these cars junk after they've expired. Once the depreciation sets in after 5-10 years, who is going to spend 10K on a car only worth 5K ? It's absolutely ludicrous. Cars will become another throw away item after the battery packs up. Have Toyota even bothered to think about this ?

There's no way i would buy one not knowing if the battery will last 5 or more years. What an expensive gamble, and this is only the battery we're talking about. What about the other bits of hardware that can and will fail over time. Some people are living in a fantasy bubble about electric cars and forget that these are not a DIY vehicle which contain highly complex parts within a complicated electrical system. The tech is way too advanced for the average punter and when it goes glitchy what do you do then ?? I'll give you one guess.

This is why I'm keeping my Aurion as long as possible.

I don't know why Toyota Australia are doing this because it's not happening in the USA, they even have an AWD Camry Petrol too.

Have a look at ToyotaJeff, who reviews all Toyotas...https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=toyota+jeff

People see Hybrid, they only see fuel saving but the amount saved in fuel comes back to bite them in the bum many times over a few years later.  If people want to buy Hybrid, good for them but Toyota Australia have taken the choice away and it will come back to bite them in the bum I'm sure.

So what do we have now...No V6 Camry...No Petrol Camry + No choice = No Camry.  :sad:

50 minutes ago, bob007 said:

So what do we have now...No V6 Camry...No Petrol Camry + No choice = No Camry. 

Also = Me not supporting Toyota again. I will look to another brand. Speaking of which, I've been eyeing off the VW Arteon lately. Wow ! What a car !! It is loaded with more tech and safety features you dream of having in any Toyota for the same price point. The build quality and paint finish are top shelf too. If you ever see one in a car yard, take the time to check one out.

Also = Me not supporting Toyota again. I will look to another brand. Speaking of which, I've been eyeing off the VW Arteon lately. Wow ! What a car !! It is loaded with more tech and safety features you dream of having in any Toyota for the same price point. The build quality and paint finish are top shelf too. If you ever see one in a car yard, take the time to check one out.

Don't look at Hyundai or now Kia because they catch fire.  :blowup: I think they give you a free fire extinguisher.  :smile:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-18/kia-car-recall-sportage-stinger-australia-fire-hazard/100146544

https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=Cars+Recalled&qpvt=cars+recalled&FORM=EWRE

At $69,000 the VW Arteon is too expensive for me.  :ohmy:

Oh what a feeling.  :tongue:

Edited by bob007

1 hour ago, bob007 said:

At $69,000 the VW Arteon is too expensive for me.

You can get into one for around the mid to high 40s with a few kays on it. Doesn't have to be brand new, but believe me, you get a lot more motor car for 70K than most others and I would say the build quality is better than Toyota, I kid you not. I had a really good look at one over the weekend and I'm very impressed. VW build exceptional cars so Toyota better watch out ! :laugh:

10 hours ago, bob007 said:

I don't know why Toyota Australia are doing this because it's not happening in the USA, they even have an AWD Camry Petrol too.

Have a look at ToyotaJeff, who reviews all Toyotas...https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=toyota+jeff

People see Hybrid, they only see fuel saving but the amount saved in fuel comes back to bite them in the bum many times over a few years later.  If people want to buy Hybrid, good for them but Toyota Australia have taken the choice away and it will come back to bite them in the bum I'm sure.

So what do we have now...No V6 Camry...No Petrol Camry + No choice = No Camry.  :sad:

What is equally frustrating is that they finally give the 2.5L a power boost (155 KW or so up from 135 KW but with 95 octane min), but have it only available in the base model,

Because people who buy an SX Camry are really after a Hybrid only option ......

Edited by Novicebutnice

5 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

You can get into one for around the mid to high 40s with a few kays on it. Doesn't have to be brand new, but believe me, you get a lot more motor car for 70K than most others and I would say the build quality is better than Toyota, I kid you not. I had a really good look at one over the weekend and I'm very impressed. VW build exceptional cars so Toyota better watch out ! :laugh:

If I was in the market, I would look at the cost of an import Camry AWD V6 (if it exists)....

Maybe this will be the new big Jap import (second hand like the skylines???)

Edited by Novicebutnice

Toyota and the other OEM vehicle manufacturers are in the midst of a battle for their survival. Supply chain issues are impacting their production and cashflow. Electric vehicles are starting to disrupt the Auto Industry but they are also being constrained by battery supply issues.

This means that Toyota has had to rationalise its product and model range based upon demand and production capability. Starting to make sense why Toyota abandoned the small cheap car market i.e. Yaris in Australia.

I think that Toyota will be more watching the Chinese Auto makers as they begin to export from China under their own brand names.

3 hours ago, campbeam said:

Chinese Auto makers as they begin to export from China under their own brand names.

Why anyone would buy one of these is mind boggling. There's more at stake than just buying a cheap car. Cheap for a reason too.

• Like 1

Why anyone would buy one of these is mind boggling. There's more at stake than just buying a cheap car. Cheap for a reason too.

One of my sayings particularly at work is "All is well until something goes wrong". Without mentioning any existing brands which I think deserve to fail, some warranties are not worth having. I wish that Australia had those "lemon" laws to hasten their departure from the market. In the meantime, stick with Toyota.

• Like 1