Hi, new member with 1988 Corolla Twincam 16

Bhutanbob

Hi All, I have had two Corolla Twincam 16 models. Have done over 400,000km of driving in both over the years since 1987 when they were both used as daily drivers.  Rebuilt one 4AGE motor in the 1986 Seca (now sold). Replaced the 4AGE motor in my current 1988 Hatch with a low mileage jap import.  Hatch has been garaged for last 10 years or so with only periodic country road drives. Soon to be on "club" plates  (Special Interest) plates here in Tassie. Resprayed more than a decade ago, I am in process of revising the restoration and adding some needed performance modifications. 

Hi Robert and welcome to the forum. That Corolla was around when I was still in high school and remember it very well. I was in year 10 in '87 and I believe the AE80 came about in '83 or '84. 

A classmate of mine's parents had just purchased a brand new AE82 with the 1.6lt and he would sneak out during the night with it, come pick us up and go joyriding :laugh: 
He even let me have a drive. First time I drove a front wheel drive car. It felt really nice to drive as I recall and very smooth too. Engine was adequate, nothing crazy but it motored along pretty well.

Many years later I had a girlfriend who had an '86 hatchback in auto. That too was a decent car. Very solid and built to last for sure.

Looks like you've spent many years in one and we'd love to see some pics and share more stories.

Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum Robert, I agree with Tony it is great shape and a great little motor, my sister had one the same model in white and I enjoyed driving it very zippy yet felt in total control, enjoy the forum

KAA