Kluger shakes when (slowing down) applying braking

Lancey

Hi, my 2009 kluger has been having this problem with shaking / shuddering while braking gradually or when braking downhill. Our mechanic naturally reckon it was the brake disc and had it replaced. The problem came back soon after and since then had replaced 2 sets of rotors and pads within warranty within 12months. Any advise apart from rotor and brake what could the other possible cause?

Hi Lancey, brakes and rotor was my first guess too. The only other obvious cause is your wheels need a balance and alignment? 

Ask a mechanic check the rest of the parts linked to the tyre as it's more than likely one of those parts. At my most recent service, my mechanic said the LCA (Lower Control Arm) was wearing out and once worn out, could affect handling.  

https://www.suspension.com/blog/symptoms-of-a-failing-control-arm/

I hope you find the cause and keep us posted with the cause and fix. 

22 hours ago, Lancey said:

Our mechanic naturally reckon it was the brake disc and had it replaced. The problem came back soon after and since then had replaced 2 sets of rotors and pads within warranty within 12months.

It is possible he used made in china crap for the rotors and they've simply buckled under the heat stress. I replaced my Original front rotors with DBA rotors and wish I didn't. They have been ok, but they are warped now for no apparent reason. My wife drives the car and she drives it very easy so there's no excuse for these to go bad so soon. I intend to put my original discs back on when I have time. Stay away from DBA rotors. They are rubbish. It's all made in China rubbish with questionable metals used I dare say.

My thoughts also turned to your lower control arms, but they would have to have virtually no rubber left in the bushings for them to cause shuddering under braking. 

Shudder under braking is almost always the rotors. If you can afford it, buy Genuine Parts and be done with it.

Work colleague had the same brake issue with his Kluger. Fairly sure that his problem related to the non known brand brake pads that the mechanical shop used. Will ask him on Monday for the details. 

Spoke with my work colleague.

Good news is that the solution for his Kluger was to use genuine Toyota parts for both rotors and brake pads.

Bad news is that the brake shuddering has returned and the mechanic shops advice was to sell the car. 🤑 

I suspect that he is hard on his brakes so has worn them out again after lots of hilly country driving.

• 6 months later...