Apexi Power Intake for Stivo..

Just got mine installed.. $215 landed in Perth.. http://www.apexi.co.jp/products/suction/po...r_intake_t.html

2nd last set of pictures for our stivos..

After taking it for a test drive, I couldnt really say I heard much suction noise coming from the engine bay.. Probably due to our soundproofing cuz my mate has the same intake on his dc2 typeR and I could hear his sucking even when the car is driven calmly.

Throttle response improved a tad around the 3-4.5k region.. Not exactly a wallop but you could feel it pulls faster.

For $215, I dont think you can complain, plus its made by Apexi B) its got that nice wooshing sound when you turn off the engine..

I'm interested in how it compares with the trd cai.. this being a short ram intake might perform differently.

Just got mine installed.. $215 landed in Perth.. http://www.apexi.co.jp/products/suction/po...r_intake_t.html

2nd last set of pictures for our stivos..

After taking it for a test drive, I couldnt really say I heard much suction noise coming from the engine bay.. Probably due to our soundproofing cuz my mate has the same intake on his dc2 typeR and I could hear his sucking even when the car is driven calmly.

Throttle response improved a tad around the 3-4.5k region.. Not exactly a wallop but you could feel it pulls faster.

For $215, I dont think you can complain, plus its made by Apexi B) its got that nice wooshing sound when you turn off the engine..

I'm interested in how it compares with the trd cai.. this being a short ram intake might perform differently.

hmmm i got trd cai and mine is loud as! usually hear it over my exhaust.

personally would have got the step into getting the trd cai even if u used a apexi filter.. but each to their own

wouldnt be suprised if u noticed power loss with that setup, constantly sucking in hot air...... might wanna invest in some 100mm air conditioning duct...

hey mike

i don't think you would notice a powerloss. the stock intake setup sucks air from the engine bay also doesn't it?

well, yes but its also consealed. less heat in the box itself so to speak and the stock setup has a induction pipe leading to the back of the headlight. therefore the original setup shouldnt get a great deal of hot air, probably more lukewarm then hot air from the engine

wouldnt be suprised if u noticed power loss with that setup, constantly sucking in hot air...... might wanna invest in some 100mm air conditioning duct...

Tell me more bout this aircon ducting that you speak of... i've heard my mate talking about putting his pod into a box and directing some aircon ducting into it to make it suck cold air..

but dont you have to turn on the aircon for the pod to be sucking cold air?

wouldnt be suprised if u noticed power loss with that setup, constantly sucking in hot air...... might wanna invest in some 100mm  air conditioning duct...

Tell me more bout this aircon ducting that you speak of... i've heard my mate talking about putting his pod into a box and directing some aircon ducting into it to make it suck cold air..

but dont you have to turn on the aircon for the pod to be sucking cold air?

:blink: Umm, you don't need the aircon switched on for the pod to suck in cool air. Just have some shield to conceal the pod or have it mounted somewhere it can suck in cooler air. Hmm, i am confused as to the benefits of shorter tubing with pod closer to engine or longer tubing with pod away as far as possible from engine. You see, i have been observing many modified NA high performance cars in Japan including the MRS with 2ZZGE transplant and they have the pod mounted in the bay with very short piping.

Yeah, i was thinking of boxing the pod and venting a hose into the box and have the other end face next to the front grill so it'd suck in cooler air when the car is moving..

I'm just wondering what sorta materials to use for the box.. aluminium conducts heat well so if i used aluminium for the box, i'm still back to square one..

So should i just pipe a hose into the area close to where the pod is and not have to bother boxing it? It's a pain in the **** to make a box I reckon..

yeah the cold air pipe to it would be good but if you get caught with it you will be defected without a heat shield. This is because ADR and the cops reckon if you don't have your pod shielded and something ??who knows what sparked from the engine and hit your pod then it would combust possibly leading to engine detonantion, thus the reason for the box/heat shield

I also wanted the Apexi power intake as it is the best filter with best air flow/filtration as proven by several tests, but this reason stopped me for getting it.

you can get a carbon fibre box / shield for our car but it is like ??400 USD

How often do cops pull you over if you arent breaking the law and much less ask to pop the hood?

I choose apexi also because like what influx said.. they have the best filters on the market and tests have proven it :P

in melbourne it is legal to have short rams and cold air intakes. it is illegal when the pod filter is oiled. the pod filter must be dry. if you have an intercooler it is illegal to also have a short ram or cold air intake.

if you are unsure of what can be done you can contact epa for help.

I choose apexi also because like what influx said.. they have the best filters on the market and tests have proven it

and the power intake is only $120.

the apexi power intake for corolla comes with special kit that include that ever important MAF sensor hole. the cheapest quote i got is 290 bucks which is ridicilous. Mee did u order Apexi power intake personally? can i ask u where did u order it? 219 bucks is damn good price for such kit. how is the noise from the intake? is loud when u smash the throttle?

Yeah, the pod ITSELF isnt $215.. It comes with a mounting that fits our sitvo maf sensor.. I ordered the intake thru a mate.. PM msg me if you want his msn contact and he'll hook you up..

The noise from it unfortunately isnt anything impressive I must say.. On cold start ups you DO hear the sucking sound but it seems to go away after 5 mins of driving when the engine warms up.. When you plant your foot down on the throttle, you hear this noise that can only be discribed as errr... a low gurgle.. Not much improvement when it hits lift.. Actually it takes away the stock scream (which sounds like a ferrari F355) and makes it sound grunty-ier.

However, there is an improvement in throttle response from the 4-6k region in 1st and 2nd.. It just races up to 6k from 4k like when you hit lift in 6k to 8k.. plant your foot down in 3rd or 4th and you'll start hearing that gurgle. Thats about as much as I discovered since getting it.. :P

I used to make this dodgy azz short ram intake. I designed it similar to Apexi kit. U know, small extension pipe that goes in to the OEM intake piping. Then I make some tight hole and dip in the sensor. It works, hehehe. Below 3000rpm, the car is just like normal. Above 3000rpm is all angry and wish to seek prey, at least that's what it sounds like haha. but this is 1zz-fe engine. yours is sportivo rite?

I will look for another alternative before i go for apexi. Simota got three different intake kits for 1zz-fe corolla. So i will look for that 1st. if i am stuck well....