Full sportivo exhaust system on a 1zz

Ok as the title claims, im considering getting a full sportivo exhaust system on my 1zz...

im talking from extractors back to the tip of the muffler...

so my questions about this idea:

1. what exactly do we have in a stock sportivo system?

2. what is the diameter of the piping? ive been searching and still cant find a definate answer of whether its 2" or 2.25"... i need to get a CLEAR answer from someone...

3. is the cat a higher flow cat than the stock 1zz cat? here's a cruncher question -what is the capacity of the sportivo cat?

4. am i likely to get good gains with all the stock sportivo stuff, or would it be better to get new piping and get 2.25 from my extractors back through a new high flow cat and into an oval muffler that i choose...? (im just afraid of making my pipes too big and losing back pressure)

5. how much should i be looking at spending for this system? im going to call up some wreckers and see what they can do for me...

ok if you can answer any of my questions, feel free to :P

cheers guys,

Tom

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it's 2.25 (60mm) I'm sure of it man. And I'm sure as hell that the sportivos use different headers. Whether the 2zz headers will be efficient on the 1zz? I do not know. I know that TRD make seperate headers for the 1zz and 2zz tho so there must be a flow difference.

interesting read, but not really what he was asking.

He wants to know, rather then change over the cat-back 1ZZ exhaust for the 2ZZ exhaust as many people have done with great success, is it possible to change the cat too (this would save time and effort and if it fits on the 1ZZ headers, you could do the change over yourself at home pretty easilly)

does anyone know if this would work or is Tom the test case?

Have you ever looked under the car Tom :P

actually, you don't even need to do that, open the bonnet and shine a torch at the base of the firewall behind the engine, you will see 2 spring bolts on either side of a fat pipe... that is the flange on the end of your extractors!!! :)

can i do that myself?

im pretty handy... i changed my springs myself! that was a *****, but surely i can do extractors too... they are bolt on at both ends... id just need a new gasket or something? i can surely get that from toyota for cheapish...

but I think he is changing the extractors as well right tom :????

but are the extractors designed to fit the same as the standard ones? :P

shouldn't be any difference in that case

Tom, I've heard that headers can be a bitch to get access to as there is not much room to work with. But you should be able to change the exhaust yourself. But as you would pay some one to change the headers, they can do the exhaust at the same time as they heve to take the old one off anyway.

i just stuck my head under the bonnet... looks pretty easy actually... ill do it myself... just gotta get the car up on stands or something....

jase can i borrow your ramps?

i wanna do it now!! quickly! someone give me a sportivo exhaust system!

having had a fair few issues with my exhaust system, i would have to advise that you get it all done by an exhaust place, unless you REALLY rate your resourcefulness. Because if you don't get a good seal at the headers you are going to have some nasty problems - and there is also the probability that the Stivo exhaust system will not line up with the flange on the aftermarket extracters (assuming they are flanged for stock 1zz...).

Also, i would not underrate the difficulty of obtaining a header gasket and if you really have any problems, just make one up yourself if you have the tools. And even with ramps you are going to find it a very difficult job, i have been there...you REALLY want to have a hydrolic hoist...good luck man

Edited by Mintos

we've had the whole exhaust off MAP81's car a couple of times at home while making up his turbo stuff. It's a lot easier than most other cars, and much easier than changing springs. The hardest thing is the bolts on the header heatshields. The exhaust gasket on the head is a metal reusable gasket, you dont need a new one.

If you want a cheap effective High -flow cat then u should go out and find a cat off a late model turbo diesel small size truck not giving away which vehicle your gonna have to do your own research :P But if u do some checking they have titanium internals rather than ceramic or stainless and to top it off titanium opens up and expands its ports at a lower temp than stainless so in away it becomes much more effecient than a stainless and is cheaper........ :D

he doesnt have a sportivo setup from the extractors back, only cat back...

i know exactly what a cat back has to offer me, but im wondering if its worth getting a whole set, including the pipes and the cat...

sunny can you just tell me which truck to look for? please? pretty please?

people have been saying a sportivo muffler performs very well cos it allows more airflow than a stock muffler, but still maintains enough back pressure and keeps the noise down... i want all of these things...

do you mean just the muffler is restrictive? or the whole lot is? cos im still not so sure about using a sportivo cat or the mid pipes...