How to remove top of centre console on Aurion Pressara.

Rob Davey

My 2010 Presara has blown the gear shift illumination bulb. Utube has a video on how to remove an ATX console to reach the bulb, but the Presara console appears to be more complicated. A step by step on this will be much appreciated. I don’t want to force/break any attachment points.

I'm sure it's the same process for the 40 series and 50 series. I'm not sure. I only have a 40 series ATX. However, the shift illumination bulb is super easy to get to and you don't need any tools to access it. The Presara console should be the same to pull apart.

1. Shift the car into Neutral (hold the shift lock button and drag it down into neutral)
  2. Unscrew the shift knob (anti-clockwise). It has a long thread so you'll be doing it for a bit. haha
  3. Below your head unit, there's two plastic inserts either side of the console. (see below screenshot in green circle)
  4. That circled bit pulls straight backwards. It literally slides in/out, no screws. Pull both of those out
  5. Gently pull up the console (where the cupholders and shift selector is). Keep in mind you'll have 2x plugs connecting to it with a short travel distance. So remember to unplug those. One will be the front cigarette lighter, the other will be the shift selector light bulb.
  6. Once you take the console out and away from the car you'll easily be able to flip it over and see where the illumination bulb sits.

Reassembly is the same in reverse.
  7. image.thumb.png.5fee73f56b9dd35049034be54abc0a50.png

Notes from experience:
    - The more you take it off, the easier it gets, so I'm sure that if you do it frequently, it'll introduce the annoying console squeaks. If your cupholder doors aren't closing properly, take this opportunity to get that pen wedged out of there. Haha!

- I don't know exactly what bulb replaces the selector light. I bought one from Jaycar (after looking up specs in this forum for the bulb) and it turns out the one I bought was too large somehow? It was too big and didn't fit into the slot properly and would fall out. Thankfully my old man had a few that fit perfectly. He couldn't tell me what model they were for future reference.

- The plug is direction-dependent. Don't plug back in and put it all together straight away. Test to make sure it illuminates by just turning on your headlights while ignition is on.

- If you're not sure about how much force to apply to take off the console at the end, watch this video for a bit of context on how much to apply. I was really worried about breaking mine at first (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBRPpvurBWg (Toyota Aurion center console light replacement)

Best of luck!!!

Edited by Twixter
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Still not sure where to apply the pulling force. 

The ATX utube video seems to have a very different console to be honest.

Seems the only place for mine is at the rear just below the front of the centre armrest? 

Open the auxiliary lid and pull back (or/and up?) from there?

Because the Presara console "slides" angle up at the front (as can be seen in your pic), there doesn't appear to be anywhere you can pull/force the slides back at that point?

And I don't know whether there are attachment clips at the front also?

I'm with you Matt re being really worried about breaking mine.

Would be very costly because of a tiny little bulb!

Cheers.

It's similar to the 50 series. The 40 series have longer side trim pieces where the 50 has short ones.

You need to pull on the trim pieces pictured. Pull towards you. They will pop off.

Gear knob removed, and from memory, open ash tray and that small pop up bin forward of the gear shifter and then in the front left and right corners, pull up. You can determine how much force you'll need yourself.

I did mine a while back when I had to remove the head unit and centre console disassembly was required. I can't remember exactly how it all came apart, but I managed to figure it out on the fly.

So, if I can do it, I'm sure you can.

Look for any snags around the ash tray.

I should've done a DIY..
air-3.jpg.061398dc4da1f808793c10a8a9dbeef2.thumb.jpg.beb40c661b64ff0187e65600ce018591.jpg