Replace Rear Wheel Bearing Hub Assembly

I had been hearing a slight wheel noise for quite some time. I had previously checked the wheel bearings but had been unable to detect any worn movement etc. In hindsight, this low level whining sound was the initial indicator that the bearing was going bad. After a recent road trip of approx. 2600kms, a wheel bearing was now howling and louder as the speed increased. Current odometer reading is 249K. 

Following YouTube video outlines the replacement process. ESPECIALLY Note the removal of the ABS sensor lead at the 5:15 mark. I did not do this so now have to either repair or replace this ABS sensor lead. The parking hand brake shoe is 1 piece on my GSV40 series Aurion which is different to the USA Camry in the YouTube video. My backing plate also came off when I was trying to "persuade" remove the hub assembly with a rubber mallet. 

Quite impressed at how quietly and smoothly the car drives now.

• Thanks 2

That was pretty interesting Ash. This is something that will come to us all eventually I guess.

Good idea to take plenty of photos before disassembly, especially that fiddly handbrake assembly.

Did you damage the ABS sensor lead when removing it Ash ?

You mentioned using a rubber mallet. How effective was this compared to a dead blow hammer ? How long before the hub popped out ?

A good idea would be to spray some wax film on the outside of the hub after hub is assembled to stop the slip joint from rusting and seizing the new hub on.

Unfortunately, the ABS sensor lead is damaged with wires broken ripped out of the socket because I did not unclip that socket before trying to remove the hub assembly. Lesson learnt the hard way. ABS warning light is on until I get this fixed.

The hub and backing plate were still joined when they separated from the knuckle and dropped hard and quick to the ground. Another video showed the hub assembly parting from this backing plate then the ABS sensor socket being removed. Smart move is definitely to unclip the ABS socket first.

The parking handbrake assembly is a simple one piece part and does not need to be removed. I had to use 2 long bolts screwed into the rotor head to remove the rotor. I also had to back off the foot brake adjustment. This should have been done when the rotor did not remove easily.

It is a tight fit between the hub and the opening of the backing plate so no surprise that they both come off together. When re-assembling, I did scrap and remove the rust build up in the knuckle area where the hub presses into it. I was thinking of using grease but ended up giving the parts a good spray with WD-40.