My Aurion strikes again

Henstepper

Well my Aurion was squealing like a pig so i take it down and of course idler, tensioner, water pump gone. So have them replaced and since the new water pump has gone in  both mornings ive checked the coolant level and the reseviour is bone dry. I take it back and the guy says its normal. They pressure tested the system added more coolant but im still losing coolant overnight. He said not to be concerned but i should not be losing coolant like that

Edited by Henstepper

Hi Steve no does not sound right, if it isn't on the ground it is going somewhere into the engine. Especially after a pressure test not showing leaks it sounds like a possible head gasket to me but i am not a mechanic. If it was me I would be taking it back with a witness to the conversation between you and the owner or manager of wherever performed the exchange. 

Let us know what happens, as the old saying fix it right the first time was not used here for sure

KAA

I have to replace both Idler and Tensioner pullies too. No big deal as they are a wear item and usually need doing at or around 150K or so.

What I think is happening with your coolant Steve, is that it's likely he didn't bleed the air out completely. It's a pain in the you know what to do as it takes around 20 minutes or more to get all the air out. Some may think it's bled after only 5 minutes of engine runtime, when in fact it's waiting to cough up more as the air pockets move through the engine. 
The 2GR-FE is a stubborn engine to bleed. Your missing coolant in the reservoir is being pulled back in after it's burped the air out. Just keep topping it up daily until you don't have to anymore. It may need topping up a couple more times. I'm surprised it hasn't overheated.
If it still persists, then take it back to the genius mechanic who sent you on your way in the first place and let us know how you go ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Henstepper said:

can i just add plain water or do i have to use the pink 50/50 mix? im not sure what brand they used but its always been pink

Best to use the correct premix coolant. As an emergency workaround you could use distilled water, preferably not tap water.

https://www.nulon.com.au/vehicle-lube-guide-menu/manual-vehicle-search/TOYOTA/AURION/2009/60716300

https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn-Category/Shop-our-Full-Ranges-by-Brand-|-Autobarn/Nulon/Nulon-Red-Premium-Long-Life-Coolant-Premix-5L---RLLTU5/p/OA01371

https://autobarn.com.au/ab/Autobarn-Category/Oils-%26-Additives/Additives/Coolant/Penrite-Red-OEM-Coolant-Premix-5L---COOLREDPMX005/p/OA03987

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Henstepper said:

can i just add plain water or do i have to use the pink 50/50 mix? im not sure what brand they used but its always been pink

Yes, definitely use the same stuff that's in there only if it isn't losing coolant.

In this case, it looks like it isn't so yes, just keep adding your 50/50 premix. Never use tap water.

Let's just hope it's a case of air in the system and not a potential head gasket as Rob mentioned. 

Edited by Tony Prodigy

The coolant level didnt drop over night so maybe its working itself out. The mechanic said it can happen after water pump change. So i will still keep an eye on it. No blown head gasket i did the test with the colored blue stuff

Hi Steve For sure Tony has possibly hit the nail on the head, here is a Y-Tube video link to our Toyota Lexus Guru The Car Care Nut, all about bleeding engine coolant on a 2GR-FE engine. Worth watching as it will explain carefully and precisely how it is done and why.  

KAA

Here's the link to my coolant flush thread, incase you missed it.

You'll see in the videos how stubborn the 2GR-FE can be. It can catch you off guard if you think it's bled.. You have to be very patient and wait.

22 hours ago, Henstepper said:

The mechanic said it can happen after water pump change.

Rubbish. They just rushed the bleeding process to get the car out of there as quickly as possible or they are just plain incompetent. I'm not a trained mechanic and I managed to do my coolant flush procedure to spec and according to the scope of works and not had any missing coolant. My overflow bottle still has the exact amount of coolant I put in when I did the service. Hasn't changed because it was done correctly.

It's nothing to do with the fact that a water pump was replaced. Ultimately it's all about bleeding the air out once it's been opened for whatever reason.

Glad to hear it's ok. I knew it would be.